The Student Room Group

Moving out

I'm planning on moving out of my parents' house in the next month (renting a flat on my own) or so and am looking for first-hand experiences/answers to the following:

How long did it take to secure the property (from initial research to actually moving in)?

If you moved to another city/town, did you secure the property first or a new job?*

Roughly how much did you spend in your first month (moving out costs, transport, initial rent/admin fees, etc.)?

What percentage of your monthly salary goes on rent?

Does the letting agent give you all the information needed to set up utilities (if not, where did you get your information)? Were these already included?

Are there any useful websites/resources that you would recommend?

This is my first time apart from university, so I don't really know what I'm doing...

*I've been reading a lot of conflicting advice about this. I presume I'll be able to secure a job faster than I can secure a flat, so I'm leaning towards getting a flat first.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by saywhatm8
I'm planning on moving out of my parents' house in the next month (renting a flat on my own) or so and am looking for first-hand experiences/answers to the following:

How long did it take to secure the property (from initial research to actually moving in)?

If you moved to another city/town, did you secure the property first or a new job?*

Roughly how much did you spend in your first month (moving out costs, transport, initial rent/admin fees, etc.)?

What percentage of your monthly salary goes on rent?

Does the letting agent give you all the information needed to set up utilities (if not, where did you get your information)? Were these already included?

Are there any useful websites/resources that you would recommend?

This is my first time apart from university, so I don't really know what I'm doing...

*I've been reading a lot of conflicting advice about this. I presume I'll be able to secure a job faster than I can secure a flat, so I'm leaning towards getting a flat first.

I got a job before I found a flat, but they were really understanding that I needed to find a place first before I could start. I ended up signing the tenancy agreement within two weeks of getting the job. Although I didn't end up starting work or moving in until 4/5 weeks after being offered the job.

My first month was really expensive because I paid for the first 6 months rent upfront because that was quicker than getting referenced sorted etc. I also had to pay the deposit and letting agents fee

My rent is about 45% of my salary I think, which I know is a lot, but it's really great value for money I think, and I'm also so close to everything that I can just walk everywhere so I save money on transport/don't need a car. It's also a modern flat so the utility bills are low and I still have enough money that I'm managing to save a good amount each month so that's good :smile:

The letting agents did say they would transfer all the utilities over to my name for me, but I ended up having to do the gas and electric myself but it was no big problem because we took the meter readings the day I moved in so knew exactly how much I owed.

In terms of websites, I was just on rightmove daily checking for new places :p:

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending