The Student Room Group

Can a university take away my offer if I tell them I forgot to put a qualification on

Hi I have firmed my uni that I want to go to but have realised that I forgot 2 qualifications that I had previously completed on my application form. I am planning to get in contact with my university today to sort it out and I also have the certificates for it if they need it. My main concern is could they revoke my offer away from me because they think I'm unorganised or a liar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Technically, they can, but it's unlikely they will. I dropped an AS after getting offers and nothing changed. A lot of people will have a lot of results and inevitably some will be left out.
Reply 2
But don't you feel guilty for not telling your uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you feel guilty lol? Fair enough feeling guilty if you said you have something you didn't, but anything extra which you left out will only improve your application anyway, even if the grades weren't too good
Reply 4
Original post by Wahrheit
Why would you feel guilty lol? Fair enough feeling guilty if you said you have something you didn't, but anything extra which you left out will only improve your application anyway, even if the grades weren't too good

No the grades were actually ok. Their not GCSE's they are just certificate qualifications. Ones an A* and the other a pass because the pass one doesn't tell you what grade you got. Luckily I didn't say I had anything that I didn't have. I don't actually know why I feel guilty because I have read some people say serious lies on their ones and they don't even care. I guess that's just who I am haha. At least all my GCSE and A-level stuff are correct I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
No the grades were actually ok. Their not GCSE's they are just certificate qualifications. Ones an A* and the other a pass because the pass one doesn't tell you what grade you got. Luckily I didn't say I had anything that I didn't have. I don't actually know why I feel guilty because I have read some people say serious lies on their ones and they don't even care. I guess that's just who I am haha. At least all my GCSE and A-level stuff are correct I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah honestly, to the uni it's like 'we've already given her an offer and now we see she's an even better candidate! Win!' So you've got nothing to worry about haha.

I left out all of my university grades for 2 years on my ucas because the process was really unclear and I have a policy on not wasting my time trying to navigate red tape :smile:
Original post by r-t

Posted from TSR Mobile

?? I told my firm and insurance I was dropping a subject, and they were both okay with it.

They honestly do not care that you left out some qualifications that are probably irrelevant to your application, as long as you correct.
Reply 7
Yes they can and probably will. Lying is worse than bad grades. My cousin lost his application to Birmingham for the same reason.
Reply 8
Original post by futbol
Yes they can and probably will. Lying is worse than bad grades. My cousin lost his application to Birmingham for the same reason.

But lying is different to forgetting. I haven't lied I just forgot. lying is actually much worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Wahrheit
Yeah honestly, to the uni it's like 'we've already given her an offer and now we see she's an even better candidate! Win!' So you've got nothing to worry about haha.

I left out all of my university grades for 2 years on my ucas because the process was really unclear and I have a policy on not wasting my time trying to navigate red tape :smile:

Yeh the process was definitely unclear, there were no explanations or anything and my referee didn't even check it properly before she sent it off. I don't like wasting my time figuring something out that should have already been explained either haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by loperdoper
?? I told my firm and insurance I was dropping a subject, and they were both okay with it.

They honestly do not care that you left out some qualifications that are probably irrelevant to your application, as long as you correct.

Yeh my application is correct. The qualifications are not even proper GCSE and have nothing to do with the conditions of my offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Yeh my application is correct. The qualifications are not even proper GCSE and have nothing to do with the conditions of my offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then it's all fine. Just email [email protected] with your UCAS ID and the qualifications, and they'll add it to your application. It's also worth emailing your firm/insurance to let them know of the update, but it's not particularly necessary.
Reply 12
Original post by loperdoper
Then it's all fine. Just email [email protected] with your UCAS ID and the qualifications, and they'll add it to your application. It's also worth emailing your firm/insurance to let them know of the update, but it's not particularly necessary.

I don't have an insurance choice because I applied through extra so I could only apply for one. But I've already firmed my uni so don't I had to email my uni directly rather than ucas? And won't my uni take away my offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your offer is based on the application you've sent, If you add qualifications you forgot initially, the basis for their offer still exists. Adding qualifications doesn't affect the fact that you've been given an offer based on less.

The only time changing your qualifications would have an effect would be if you had to remove one, and even then, it depends what it is.

You're not a robot, you're a person, people make mistakes. The university knows that. You won't be the first or the last person to make a small mistake/miss out something on an application.
Reply 14
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Your offer is based on the application you've sent, If you add qualifications you forgot initially, the basis for their offer still exists. Adding qualifications doesn't affect the fact that you've been given an offer based on less.

The only time changing your qualifications would have an effect would be if you had to remove one, and even then, it depends what it is.

You're not a robot, you're a person, people make mistakes. The university knows that. You won't be the first or the last person to make a small mistake/miss out something on an application.

Thanks, shall I email UCAS or my university (because I've already firmed it ) explaining it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
Thanks, shall I email UCAS or my university (because I've already firmed it ) explaining it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both, its not going to hurt and you know you've defnintely sent the information to both then.
Reply 16
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Both, its not going to hurt and you know you've defnintely sent the information to both then.

What if I lose my offer like futbol cousin mentioned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
What if I lose my offer like futbol cousin mentioned?

futbol's cousin lost their place because not only did they forget to mention a qualification change but they didn't correct that mistake. ie they did exactly what you're trying to justify doing, publicly on this thread.

THEY WILL NOT CARE.

email [email protected]

When they confirm that they've updated your application email your firm to let them know you've remembered and added in additional secondary school qualifications.

They'll reply saying "ok, thanks for telling us" and the matter will be dropped.
Original post by r-t
But lying is different to forgetting. I haven't lied I just forgot. lying is actually much worse.

It wasn't lying when you forgot to include them. Now that you've been informed, repeatedly, that you SHOULD include them then you are consciously withholding relevant and requested information from your application. That is lying.

Even posting about this again and again (this is the 3rd time you've been told to email [email protected] and you're still trying to avoid doing that) on TSR making it clear that you're hoping to withhold relevant and requested information is more risky to your application than just TELLING UCAS/your firm. Your TSR posting history makes it clear which course and uni you have firmed - it wouldn't be difficult for them to track down your application if they wanted.

Withholding information when you've been informed that you should notify your university is far more damaging to your application than informing them of the truth - especially in your case where the truth is the ADDITION of some very old qualifications.
Reply 18
Original post by PQ
futbol's cousin lost their place because not only did they forget to mention a qualification change but they didn't correct that mistake. ie they did exactly what you're trying to justify doing, publicly on this thread.

THEY WILL NOT CARE.

email [email protected]

When they confirm that they've updated your application email your firm to let them know you've remembered and added in additional secondary school qualifications.

They'll reply saying "ok, thanks for telling us" and the matter will be dropped.

It wasn't lying when you forgot to include them. Now that you've been informed, repeatedly, that you SHOULD include them then you are consciously withholding relevant and requested information from your application. That is lying.

Even posting about this again and again (this is the 3rd time you've been told to email [email protected] and you're still trying to avoid doing that) on TSR making it clear that you're hoping to withhold relevant and requested information is more risky to your application than just TELLING UCAS/your firm. Your TSR posting history makes it clear which course and uni you have firmed - it wouldn't be difficult for them to track down your application if they wanted.

Withholding information when you've been informed that you should notify your university is far more damaging to your application than informing them of the truth - especially in your case where the truth is the ADDITION of some very old qualifications.

Ok I will email and or call them after school, thanks for pointing it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
I don't have an insurance choice because I applied through extra so I could only apply for one. But I've already firmed my uni so don't I had to email my uni directly rather than ucas? And won't my uni take away my offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You still need to email UCAS to add it on, because it's that application that needs to be correct, as well as emailing your firmed university. If your UCAS application is incorrect on results day (i.e. you didn't email qualsupport), the university could reject you on the basis it's incorrect and you told UCAS (and by extension, them) that your application was completely correct.

But if you change it now, the university will not take your offer away, because it's a mistake that you're correcting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending