The Student Room Group

Durham Medicine Offer Holders 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by am1992
Offer woop! Interview finished after 25 mins as well, I was convinced that I was going to be rejected cause it was so short.

I'm having to choose between Durham 5 year course or a GEP 4 year program now. Are any current Durham students willing to sell the uni to me? I was quite impressed from what I've heard/seen but still not fully decided since Durham would be a year longer and would cost more.

Hiya,

I'm currently a Durham student. Our main selling points are as follows:
- Small cohort. <100 people so all of your year will know each other quite well. Also all of the lecturers will know your first name by the end of the first few months, which is very useful if you need academic support.
- The teaching at Durham is fantastic, and they regularly attain 100% pass rates, something most medical schools can only dream of.
- Collegiate system. Can't praise the collegiate system enough in terms of making me feel right at home when I moved in. As well as your medicine friends you'll meet friends from your college too, on different courses. Your college will also provide academic support as well as arranging a lot of social activities for you.
- Small campus. Queen's Campus only has ~2000 students, and there are less than 200 medics spanning first and second year. It's a nice intimate setting, and I feel like if I was at a bigger uni I'd just be a face in the crowd and would have a much smaller circle of friends. Consequently, you'll get to know many people in different years across many different courses. Getting to know the 2nd year medics is something that wouldn't happen at a bigger uni. This is really useful around exam time as they will tell you about their experiences and help you revise the most relevant information, making your life a lot easier!

In the end, it's a decision you're going to have to make yourself. An extra years worth of fees for the pros of what Durham has to offer vs your GEP uni.

Whichever decision you make, I wish you all the very best. Hopefully you choose us!

Best of luck,
MedSoc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GreenTangerine
Law, cool! Will be interesting to hear what triggered your interest in medicine:smile:

Fundung-wise I will certainly have to look into loans etc but need to be careful given that this is my 3rd. Hopefully I will sort it in time!

I don't suppose anyone knows the official start date for induction week?

Freshers' week starts September 28th. During that week you'll have your social activities every night provided by your college, and during the day you'll have induction activities provided by the medical school. Classes don't start until the week after freshers' week. :-)

Lots of love,
MedSoc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DurhamMedSoc2015
Freshers' week starts September 28th. During that week you'll have your social activities every night provided by your college, and during the day you'll have induction activities provided by the medical school. Classes don't start until the week after freshers' week. :-)

Lots of love,
MedSoc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there
I was looking on the Durham website for term dates yesterday, just to see what they were and it says that induction weeks starts on October 4th? can you check this?? The link for it is https://www.dur.ac.uk/dates/
Don't want to turn up on the wrong day :P

Thanks!
Original post by itsybitsyspider
Hi there
I was looking on the Durham website for term dates yesterday, just to see what they were and it says that induction weeks starts on October 4th? can you check this?? The link for it is https://www.dur.ac.uk/dates/
Don't want to turn up on the wrong day :P

Thanks!

Hiya,

Medicine runs on a different term timetable compared to the rest of the uni. Your freshers' week (which has induction activities during the day) starts on the 28th. Although don't worry you'll get plenty of e-mails between now and then to confirm!

Don't forget to join our offer holders group on Facebook, as you'll get a faster response from me on there. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/807162869376305/

MedSoc love xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Hello!

I got an offer from Durham but just wanted to ask a bit more about the course and stuff:
1. How do students cope with the transition from Durham/Stockton to Newcastle?
2. How does the university help with the transition?
3. What are the surroundings like (around Stockton)?
4. How is the course mainly taught?
5. What do you study in your first two years at Durham?
6. Which college is better and more convenient, Snow or Stevenson?
7. So, do you get a degree from Newcastle? But what distinguishes the fact that you spent two years at Durham?
8. Do you do dissections?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Just like to say congratulations to everyone who received an offer. I got 4 Rejections, post-interview rejection from durham , but i'm just glad it happened to me rather than the guys who got offers :smile: . I wish you all the best at durham - most of you just get the grades now!
Original post by MedicReject
Just like to say congratulations to everyone who received an offer. I got 4 Rejections, post-interview rejection from durham , but i'm just glad it happened to me rather than the guys who got offers :smile: . I wish you all the best at durham - most of you just get the grades now!

Think they missed out with a character like you. Don't give up - this could be a good thing! It will give you a chance to obtain some experience and reapply with more knowledge. Good luck for the future!
Original post by LowriSerenx
Think they missed out with a character like you. Don't give up - this could be a good thing! It will give you a chance to obtain some experience and reapply with more knowledge. Good luck for the future!

awww thank you :smile: i don't suppose you know if i could reapply to durham next year since i was interviewed this time round?
Original post by 08rgill
Hello!

I got an offer from Durham but just wanted to ask a bit more about the course and stuff:
1. How do students cope with the transition from Durham/Stockton to Newcastle?
2. How does the university help with the transition?
3. What are the surroundings like (around Stockton)?
4. How is the course mainly taught?
5. What do you study in your first two years at Durham?
6. Which college is better and more convenient, Snow or Stevenson?
7. So, do you get a degree from Newcastle? But what distinguishes the fact that you spent two years at Durham?
8. Do you do dissections?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

1. I've heard the transition is fine as you transition with your year group that you've spent the past 3 years with.
2. Both Durham & Newcastle MedSocs have plans to do more events together this year to promote integration. We had a huge social with them this year where we all mingled and it was great!
3. The surroundings are fine, not as bad as everyone makes out. The High Street has just been given a huge revamp and a lot of money is being put into improving Stockton's image & appealing to students.
4. It's a lecture based course, taught in different strands (pharmacology, anatomy, physiology etc) using a case led approach. So you'll be given a case at the start of the week, for example a heart attack. You then learn the anatomy of the heart, the physiology of the heart & how the cardiovascular system works, and the pharmacology behind the drugs used to treat heart attacks. The cases are really relevant and interesting, also unique to Durham & Newcastle.
5. See above. The first two years are about building a solid foundation of scientific knowledge in a pre-clinical setting that you can apply in a clinical setting from 3rd year onwards. Biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, anatomy, medicine in community, personal & professional development and life cycle are some of the strands that are taught alongside each other.
6. There is no "better" college, both have pros and cons. Snow is a 7 minute walk away from class, Stevo is less than 2 minutes away. Snow have gowns & formals, Stevo don't. However, there are usually more medics in Snow compared to Stevo. Both have their pros and cons and whichever one you are in you will love. Snow are very into traditions and are formal, much like the Durham colleges on the main campus, whereas Stevo are a more casual college & don't do the whole tradition thing. Both colleges are great.
7. Your degree is from Newcastle but will say you spent 2 years studying at Durham University. Having two very highly rated universities on your degree is nice.
8. We don't dissect the bodies ourselves, they're dissected for us. When we go into the dissection room once a week, the bodies are already cut open for us so we can poke and prod at the bodies ourselves. In my opinion it's just as good as dissection for learning anatomy effectively.

Most of the answers to your questions are on the Durham Medical School website, and a lot of your questions have been answered on the offer holders page on Facebook already. I suggest you join it as you'll get a faster response from various members of the MedSoc exec. rather than waiting for me to check TSR once a day!

Lots of love,
MedSoc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by DurhamMedSoc2015
1. I've heard the transition is fine as you transition with your year group that you've spent the past 3 years with.
2. Both Durham & Newcastle MedSocs have plans to do more events together this year to promote integration. We had a huge social with them this year where we all mingled and it was great!
3. The surroundings are fine, not as bad as everyone makes out. The High Street has just been given a huge revamp and a lot of money is being put into improving Stockton's image & appealing to students.
4. It's a lecture based course, taught in different strands (pharmacology, anatomy, physiology etc) using a case led approach. So you'll be given a case at the start of the week, for example a heart attack. You then learn the anatomy of the heart, the physiology of the heart & how the cardiovascular system works, and the pharmacology behind the drugs used to treat heart attacks. The cases are really relevant and interesting, also unique to Durham & Newcastle.
5. See above. The first two years are about building a solid foundation of scientific knowledge in a pre-clinical setting that you can apply in a clinical setting from 3rd year onwards. Biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology, anatomy, medicine in community, personal & professional development and life cycle are some of the strands that are taught alongside each other.
6. There is no "better" college, both have pros and cons. Snow is a 7 minute walk away from class, Stevo is less than 2 minutes away. Snow have gowns & formals, Stevo don't. However, there are usually more medics in Snow compared to Stevo. Both have their pros and cons and whichever one you are in you will love. Snow are very into traditions and are formal, much like the Durham colleges on the main campus, whereas Stevo are a more casual college & don't do the whole tradition thing. Both colleges are great.
7. Your degree is from Newcastle but will say you spent 2 years studying at Durham University. Having two very highly rated universities on your degree is nice.
8. We don't dissect the bodies ourselves, they're dissected for us. When we go into the dissection room once a week, the bodies are already cut open for us so we can poke and prod at the bodies ourselves. In my opinion it's just as good as dissection for learning anatomy effectively.

Most of the answers to your questions are on the Durham Medical School website, and a lot of your questions have been answered on the offer holders page on Facebook already. I suggest you join it as you'll get a faster response from various members of the MedSoc exec. rather than waiting for me to check TSR once a day!

Lots of love,
MedSoc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank-you for clarifying my queries! I looked at Durham's website but I didn't quite grasp certain things so I just wanted to ask! I don't have Facebook either, so I'm afraid I couldn't see any of the previous asked questions etc. but thank-you so much! I hope I haven't wasted your time! :smile:
Original post by 08rgill
Thank-you for clarifying my queries! I looked at Durham's website but I didn't quite grasp certain things so I just wanted to ask! I don't have Facebook either, so I'm afraid I couldn't see any of the previous asked questions etc. but thank-you so much! I hope I haven't wasted your time! :smile:

No problem at all! I completely understand. You haven't wasted my time, don't worry! I hope I've cleared it up for you. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask! :smile:

Also don't forget our post offer open day is now on April 23rd, I hope to see you there!

Lots of love,
MedSoc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
What happens on post-offer day? But like open days but with extra talks?
Hi everyone! congrats on the offers! I just wanted to check with anyone who's sure about the offer letter via email. If we've received it, does that mean we have a firm place at Durham?
Reply 73
Has anyone thought about accommodation that isn't provided by the university?
I was thinking about a house/flatshare with other students maybe ?
As a graduate on the 5 year course I'm finding the prospect of funding myself quite daunting at the moment so rather than paying £135+ a week I was looking at houseshares around the £50/£60 a week mark... not too sure though
Original post by GreenTangerine
What happens on post-offer day? But like open days but with extra talks?

We're going to have lots of student led sessions. A talk from MedSoc will be on, lots of Q&A for students and parents.

Also, you'll be able to see Sim Man sessions, get a peek at specimens in the dissection room, and other teaching sessions to get a feel how you'll be taught at Durham.

I'd massively advise going, as you'll get a real feel for a day in the life of a Med student, rather than a general overview of the colleges.

Lots of love,
MedSoc xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by tasmay
Has anyone thought about accommodation that isn't provided by the university?
I was thinking about a house/flatshare with other students maybe ?
As a graduate on the 5 year course I'm finding the prospect of funding myself quite daunting at the moment so rather than paying £135+ a week I was looking at houseshares around the £50/£60 a week mark... not too sure though

I almost certainly won't be going into student accommodation, based on cost like you. Not sure if I'm going to go to Durham, still waiting to see if I get an offer from my first choice. Think it would be a bit weird going back to halls anyway, I'd feel really old (I'm 23!), though obviously it would mean missing out on a lot of the advantages of the collegiate system.
Reply 76
Original post by am1992
I almost certainly won't be going into student accommodation, based on cost like you. Not sure if I'm going to go to Durham, still waiting to see if I get an offer from my first choice. Think it would be a bit weird going back to halls anyway, I'd feel really old (I'm 23!), though obviously it would mean missing out on a lot of the advantages of the collegiate system.

I'll be 24 in April so I'll probably be feeling old when it gets to September too.. I'm hoping that the societies and other college activities like sports teams and the formal meals will make it feel like I'm still part of a college.. I just dont think I can justify paying so much money for a single room in halls..
I hope you do get an offer from your first choice (they can only keep you hanging on for a few more days), but if you don't, let me know and maybe we could think about a houseshare or something?
Reply 77
Original post by tasmay
I'll be 24 in April so I'll probably be feeling old when it gets to September too.. I'm hoping that the societies and other college activities like sports teams and the formal meals will make it feel like I'm still part of a college.. I just dont think I can justify paying so much money for a single room in halls..
I hope you do get an offer from your first choice (they can only keep you hanging on for a few more days), but if you don't, let me know and maybe we could think about a houseshare or something?

Unfortunately it's Warwick 4 year GEP that I'm waiting for and they don't respond until the end of April. However, I will potentially be looking at house sharing with fellow grad offerees (it's weird not having to say applicants now, I feel like I'm actually in the club :tongue:). Will try to keep in touch if I start looking at making arrangements. Will you be at the offer holders day on 23rd April?
Reply 78
Original post by am1992
Unfortunately it's Warwick 4 year GEP that I'm waiting for and they don't respond until the end of April. However, I will potentially be looking at house sharing with fellow grad offerees (it's weird not having to say applicants now, I feel like I'm actually in the club :tongue:). Will try to keep in touch if I start looking at making arrangements. Will you be at the offer holders day on 23rd April?

I will be there, yeah.
I thought all decisions from the universities had to be out by the end of march?
Reply 79
Original post by tasmay
I will be there, yeah.
I thought all decisions from the universities had to be out by the end of march?

GEP programs seem to work to their own agenda. Though pretty sure Warwick is the only one not replying by the end of March. Naturally it's the one GEP program I decided to apply for of course, after all, who needs certainty in life...

What was your first degree in? I'm a law student but saw the light and decided I'd rather be a doctor, much to the delight of my parents! Think dad wanted me to become some high flying barrister and pay for his holiday home in the Caribbean, instead he's landed with a £50,000 bill which he'll need to wait quite a few years to get back from me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending