The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Accommodation options: help please!

Hi I'm an international student and am seeking for accommodation starting this Sep. (9/2015~8/2016) I've checked the websites and found out that there're only two places (Willen / Alliance House) that come with a kitchen (not shared).

Can anyone share your living experience at Willen/Alliance? (Noisy, old etc.) :confused:

The rooms provided are quite pricey to me, if I want to live in private accommodations, when should I start looking for it? (when will they release their vacancies?) Is is possible to find nice flats under £210 in London?

Correct me if I'm wrong: Rooms with a kitchen and a shower=Studio, Single room with a kitchen and a shower in separate rooms (bigger)=One bed flat, right?? :s-smilie:

Thank you so much!! Need your help SO MUCH! :redface:
Reply 1
This is the right time to look at a place to stya. Im a City student and im staying at pure. ITs 209 per week, new construction with all amenities. Its a great place to stay and super close to City. Just a 3 min walk. You'll end up saving immensely on transportation. Be sure to check it out
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by sghai
This is the right time to look at a place to stya. Im a City student and im staying at pure. ITs 209 per week, new construction with all amenities. Its a great place to stay and super close to City. Just a 3 min walk. You'll end up saving immensely on transportation. Be sure to check it out

Yeah I've check that out, Pure looks really nice, but unfortunately they are not providing postgrads studios this year..:sad: they only have en suites for 214.7/pw, but since I cook every single meal, I really need a flat or studio :cry2:

If I'm not applying for school's accommodation, should I be looking for the private ones now? I don't know when normally will they release vacancies in London...
Reply 3
My kitchen is huge and even though i share it with a bunch of kids, i never feel it. I cook every meal and i usually spend a lot of time studying in the kitchen too! so this shouldn't hold you back. Pure provides you fridge locks to keep your stuff separate and someone comes to clean the kitchen everyday. Its never messy. if you wanna book a viewing, let me know. But yes, you should start looking asap.
Original post by Seedvalley
Yeah I've check that out, Pure looks really nice, but unfortunately they are not providing postgrads studios this year..:sad: they only have en suites for 214.7/pw, but since I cook every single meal, I really need a flat or studio :cry2:

If I'm not applying for school's accommodation, should I be looking for the private ones now? I don't know when normally will they release vacancies in London...

I'm a current City university student and I would recommend private halls :smile: I've never stayed in City's halls but I love where i live! There's loads available nearby... Maybe look at prodigy living? I live with them and they're great! They have a few sites across London (I live 15 minutes away from City) and they have studios or shared flats :smile:
Reply 5
Hi I'm an international student and am seeking for accommodation starting this Sep. (9/2015~8/2016) I've checked the websites and found out that there're only two places (Willen / Alliance House) that come with a kitchen (not shared).
Can anyone share your living experience at Willen/Alliance? (Noisy, old etc.) :confused:

The rooms provided are quite pricey to me, if I want to live in private accommodations, when should I start looking for it? (when will they release their vacancies?) Is is possible to find nice flats under £210 in London?

Correct me if I'm wrong: Rooms with a kitchen and a shower=Studio, Single room with a kitchen and a shower in separate rooms (bigger)=One bed flat, right?? :s-smilie:

hey

I currently live at willen house, its a nice place and very close to uni ( like 10 minutes walk) very close to everything in the area and the station is within like 5 minutes walk, i think its the cheapest place u could find here in the area if you are looking for a studio. But on the other hand its very very quite even it can be said that its unsociable place every one is busy as all of the residents are postgraduates. I have friends live at pure city they say its ok but its very noisy and parties are being made every week, most of the residents are undergraduates and they have 720 room imagine how would it be...

As a postgraduate i recommend willen house but DON'T take any of these band 2 rooms just take a band 1or band 3 room that has a small window you will be fine

i hope this has helped :smile:
Reply 6

You can find flats under 210 pounds but not likely to be in zone one or central areas. you can eventually find a studio in zone one at that price but this still exceptional.
Private accommodations are not cheaper than City accommodation, unless is situated in areas a bit further than central London but generally Studios (I think is what you can't, as you dont seem to like the idea to share kitchen) are expensive.
Reply 7

Not sure how much flex you have in your budget, but I was also recommend you take a look at Prodigy Living. Like you, I wanted my own space to cook and wash. Whilst all room have their own en-suite showers, there are flats with shared kitchens, hence I went for a studio. I'm at the Tufnell Park branch, which is zone 2, a very comfortable halls of residence to live in and situation in a lovely part of London. The studio is from £255 per week so if you can find that little bit extra, it's well worth a look (cut down the going out and booze, you'll soon save money haha). There are different branches across London which may be cheaper though.

Best of luck in your accommodation search!
Original post by Irsam
hey

I currently live at willen house, its a nice place and very close to uni ( like 10 minutes walk) very close to everything in the area and the station is within like 5 minutes walk, i think its the cheapest place u could find here in the area if you are looking for a studio. But on the other hand its very very quite even it can be said that its unsociable place every one is busy as all of the residents are postgraduates. I have friends live at pure city they say its ok but its very noisy and parties are being made every week, most of the residents are undergraduates and they have 720 room imagine how would it be...

As a postgraduate i recommend willen house but DON'T take any of these band 2 rooms just take a band 1or band 3 room that has a small window you will be fine

i hope this has helped :smile:

Hey, I was recently given housing at Willen House. Can you tell me what specifically is wrong with the Band 2 rooms? I was actually thinking of choosing that room, until I read your post. Thanks.
Reply 9
band 2 rooms have huge windows next to your bed which makes them very cold in the winter taking in consideration that the building is very very old (1948) and you may wake up during the night on the sound of drunk people shouting in the street and the sound of ambulance and police cars. I highly recommend that you take band 1 room of those which have small window (not the ones on bath street the other ones) they are quite and nice, if you want something larger take band 3 they are also very nice.

if you need anything else do not hesitate to contact me :smile:))
Thanks for the info!
Reply 11
hi irsam i am a new student of cass this year and I also consider the Willen house as a accommodation choice.however I cannot found enough pictures about its internal look and room.can I ask how about the noise proof of the room of Willen house?because the quiet is what I think about first.
Reply 12
hi irsam i am a new student of cass this year and I also consider the Willen house as a accommodation choice.however I cannot found enough pictures about its internal look and room.can I ask how about the noise proof of the room of Willen house?because the quiet is what I think about first.
hi why won't you recommend the band 2 rooms thank you

Quick Reply

Latest