The Student Room Group

Need Help for IB English Extended Essay: Theme of Death in Children's Fairy Tales

Hey everyone,

I have been having difficulty in deciding between a few ways to structure my essay regarding the theme/motif of death (and the subsequent denial of death) in European children's fairy tales. I have 4 different ways I am thinking of structuring this and I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me figure out which is the best for creating a well presented and logical essay with easily accessible resources available for research.

A: Analyse the effect that a change in era and society has on the way death is portrayed by studying 1 Brothers Grimm, 1 Anderson, 1 19th-20th Century and 1 20th Century work.
B: Comparing the different ways Brothers Grimm and Anderson deny death in their children’s fairy tales of the 19th century (with magic and perception of a better afterlife)

C: The extent that denial of death is prevalent through the creation of a fantasy world or ending (eg. Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Magic in both brothers Grimm and Anderson)

D: Analysing adaptions of 2 Brothers Grimm and 2 Anderson works (that were originally folklore/mythology and have been made nice by Disney) and how the different adaptions relate to the social setting and expectations/views of children

Any help would be appreciated!!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending