The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Nisherz187
Could you not get another workmate to serve him or whatever?

That's what I do when guys deliberately try to intimidate me at work... I just call a male colleague and get them to deal with them.

I'm sure that way he'll understand you're not interested...

i work in a supermarket so im assigned a till, where i sit until my shift is over :frown:
Reply 21
In some shops they ask the girls to flirt with the customers because this makes thm feel comfortable and spend more money at the shop. But I won't say which shops because I'll get toasted!

I think you've done nothing wrong being nice to people, after all good customer service is what it's all about (yes it is!).

I think he may have taken your niceness the wrong way. Your customers sound like regulars. What sort of things do you sell? I might be able to give you a character reference :smile: (or not).
Reply 22
The Guru
What sort of things do you sell? I might be able to give you a character reference :smile: (or not).

a supermarket. not an uber one like tescos, but it is one which is on a small housing estate so you get the same customers in at the weekends because it's their nearest shop to get the odd few bits. we sell pretty much everything - magazines, produce, drinks, xmas stuff, health and beauty stuff, baked beans... etc lol.

i do try to offer good customer service. i've even had customers tell my manager that i'm so friendly, and customers often come in and say its lovely to see such a smiley face and stuff. i enjoy my job. which is why it's a shame for me to feel threatened now.
I might be missing something, but at what point has he threatened or harassed you? For sure he sounds odd, but have you made it clear you're not interested? You didn't say you had. If you have then I guess he is harassing you. But if not, all he's doing is coming in and flirting with the cute check out girl. Make it clear that you aren't interested i.e. say it to his face, and then if he doesn't stop, then you should talk to the management about it.
Reply 24
I can see why you're a bit freaked out by it - he's a lot older than you, and he may seem a bit socially inadept. Perhaps he's never really known how to get a girlfriend, and he's heard that guys give girls their numbers sometimes, so that's what he's doing. And he's not to know that you're friendly with all your customers! - he might think that you like him back because you smile at him or something.

If I were you, I would just ignore the note; if he comes in again, be less friendly to him to see if he gets the point, and if he asks you whether you got the note, just say quietly something like, "Yes, um, I'm not interested." or something along those lines so he gets the message. Something short and sweet; don't start apologising or saying things like, "You seem like a really nice person" or "I don't want to hurt your feelings." Just keep it short. Then if he won't leave you alone, or if he starts being threatening, and only then, should you think about calling it harrassment. Because he's probably perfectly harmless, if a little socially deficit.

But:
Azzle
i had a customer that stroked my hand whilst moaning once

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Now that's scary!
xxx
Reply 25
Anonymous
a supermarket. not an uber one like tescos, but it is one which is on a small housing estate so you get the same customers in at the weekends because it's their nearest shop to get the odd few bits. we sell pretty much everything - magazines, produce, drinks, xmas stuff, health and beauty stuff, baked beans... etc lol.

i do try to offer good customer service. i've even had customers tell my manager that i'm so friendly, and customers often come in and say its lovely to see such a smiley face and stuff. i enjoy my job. which is why it's a shame for me to feel threatened now.

He sounds like he's someone who has taken your niceness a bit too far. He needs correcting in a polite but clear and formal manner. But it's best if you do it as soon as you can before he gets obsessive.

Latest

Trending

Trending