The Student Room Group

weight resistance

i've googled this and the results i got weren't exactly excellent so as i began to warm up my amazing research skills, i remembered this forum and how nerdy some people are about this kind of thing, so what better place to ask than here :biggrin:

basically, i know that weight resistance, to put it simply, helps to build muscle and increases metabolic rate, oui?

i'm slim but would like to get a little more muscle... tone up a bit, get some FIRMNESS, oh yeah. (i'm a girl btw).

when i go to the gym, i usually just do some cardio and go home. on some days, i'll indulge in the good old weight resistance area but that's actually really rare.

what should i start doing if i want to tone up/get some definition (i think there's a subtle but present difference between the two?) and ... er, yeah, that's it.

just anything you can tell me about weight resistance pls. greatly appreciated
just use weight machines and cardio. runnings really good for your legs and upper body.
if you have a session with a personal trainer at your gym, they can develop a personal workout programme for you. thats what my gym did when i started - i got one for fitness and toning. i was meant to go back every 20 sessions to get it changed but i never have. i just do what i feel like really!
but yeah... get a personal trainer to draw up a plan for you, as they'll know what to work on to get you toned. :smile:

edit: and they can show you how to use the machines properly so you're using them for maximum tonage! and they'll know what weights to use and how many to do (eg. i do two sets of 15 pushes on each of my weight machines. the opposite to little and often on each machine... lots and not often i guess that would be)
Reply 2
oh lol i've been with my gym for just under two years now. i know how the weight-resistance machines work and everything, remember the stuff from my induction day.

i was just never told what they were for or what they did. he just said "these will help you build muscle" which is fine but, i mean, it's a little vague. when will i start to feel a difference (i.e. more firmness?), etc etc.

thnx btw X
Reply 3
Use a proper compound routine incorporating deadlifts/squats/benchpresses etc. Eblis wrote one out in another gym thread very recently. Don't use a personal trainer's plan.

Just because you're female doesn't mean you have to use a crap routine.
Speleo
Don't use a personal trainer's plan.

Just because you're female doesn't mean you have to use a crap routine.

The personal trainers at our gym are amazing! They really know their stuff and are really helpful. If they tell you to do one machine to work something, but you don't like it, they'll try to find you an alternative which can still help. You want an enjoyable workout that you can stick to and get results from. Don't keep pushing yourself or you won't enjoy it.
Reply 5
The very fact that they are putting you on weight machines suggests that they are crap. If you want a 'fun' but ultimately ineffectual workout then by all means follow such a plan. If you actually want to become more 'toned', i.e. lose fat and gain a little muscle, then a proper free weight routine blows a machine based one out of the water.
Speleo
The very fact that they are putting you on weight machines suggests that they are crap. If you want a 'fun' but ultimately ineffectual workout then by all means follow such a plan. If you actually want to become more 'toned', i.e. lose fat and gain a little muscle, then a proper free weight routine blows a machine based one out of the water.

i dont just have weight machines on my plan. i have mat work, ball work, cardio etc too.
Reply 7
Mat and ball work is even worse D:

Seriously, find a decent compound routine with deadlifts/squats/bench presses/bent over rows/pull ups etc. and run/swim/cycle for cardio. You'll get much better results. Just because you're a girl doesn't mean you have to do a 'girly' workout.
Reply 8
so you're saying the machines like the vertical traction, leg press, abdominal thingy (crunches basically), etc are rubbish and won't actually help in the long run?

ugh. great.

you're suggesting i go do bench presses with the big juicy muscular men at my gym... bugger.
Reply 9
Essentially yes. Machine exercises will eventually give you results, you'll just get results much faster if you do real exercises. Don't worry that you'll become a muscly he-woman or something, only a small percentage of women have the necessary genes, and even then it takes them a long time.

Do yourself a favour and start a proper weight routine and a proper cardio routine instead of machines/balls/mats/sit-ups etc. You'll thank me in a few months time :tongue:
Reply 10
Speleo
Essentially yes. Machine exercises will eventually give you results, you'll just get results much faster if you do real exercises. Don't worry that you'll become a muscly he-woman or something, only a small percentage of women have the necessary genes, and even then it takes them a long time.

Do yourself a favour and start a proper weight routine and a proper cardio routine instead of machines/balls/mats/sit-ups etc. You'll thank me in a few months time :tongue:

The man knows what he's talking about, I haven't touched a machine in a year, just the free weights and I feel so much better for it. Especially because of deadlifts, they're just amazing for gaining muscle (toning up if that's what you want).

Latest

Trending

Trending