The Student Room Group

Exam entries? Too late?

Is it too late to decide to self teach myself a couple modules and just take the exams in the summer? This is regarding A-levels (OCR MEI maths more specifically)
Original post by joe12345marc
Is it too late to decide to self teach myself a couple modules and just take the exams in the summer? This is regarding A-levels (OCR MEI maths more specifically)

Most have probably been entered now, thought I think you can still be entered.
Which modules you planning on self teaching?
Original post by Placeboo123
Most have probably been entered now, thought I think you can still be entered.
Which modules you planning on self teaching?

Well my school never offered Computing and I recently noticed it could help my application... and I looked at some C3/C4 stuff for a few weeks and it seemed pretty easy, would just make my application stronger that is all :smile:
Well my school never offered Computing and I recently noticed it could help my application... and I looked at some C3/C4 stuff for a few weeks and it seemed pretty easy, would just make my application stronger that is all :smile:

Problem with taking c3 and c4 this year is that you really do have to average at least 90 UMS otherwise you're retaking it next year to get your A*.
If you wanna do some more maths modules I'd recommend S1, D1, M1 if you aren't already doing them, as all the other modules count towards your A* in either maths or further maths, so you really need to get 90+.

It is possible to be entered for A level exams at any time but, as you have missed the normal entry deadline, it will be more expensive. As you are a self teaching private candidate, you are less likely to find an external centre willing to accept you late. OCR MEI C3 includes a coursework element that you probably wont be able to complete as a private candidate unless your existing school is willing to enter you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Problem with taking c3 and c4 this year is that you really do have to average at least 90 UMS otherwise you're retaking it next year to get your A*.
If you wanna do some more maths modules I'd recommend S1, D1, M1 if you aren't already doing them, as all the other modules count towards your A* in either maths or further maths, so you really need to get 90+.

Yeah fair enough! Well I'm doing C1 C2 S1 FP1 M1 M2 this year, and we will do D1 D2 C3 C4 FP2 S2 next year so what would I need in D1 that for my A*'s?
Original post by gdunne42
It is possible to be entered for A level exams at any time but, as you have missed the normal entry deadline, it will be more expensive. As you are a self teaching private candidate, you are less likely to find an external centre willing to accept you late. OCR MEI C3 includes a coursework element that you probably wont be able to complete as a private candidate unless your existing school is willing to enter you.

Yeah true, I guess just doing the exam and doing the coursework next year is not allowed then?
Yeah true, I guess just doing the exam and doing the coursework next year is not allowed then?

In the case of that particular unit, the answer is no, I'm afraid. (Just sitting beside our school's exams officer and asked him!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah fair enough! Well I'm doing C1 C2 S1 FP1 M1 M2 this year, and we will do D1 D2 C3 C4 FP2 S2 next year so what would I need in D1 that for my A*'s?

Yeah so that D1 if you get at least 80 your A* wont be hindered in any way shape or form. All A2 modules count towards A*, the cores for maths and FP2/3 and applied >1 towards A* in further maths.
D1 is ridiculously easy definitely do that one.
Idk what person above is saying coz I'm doing an extra module :smile:
Yeah so that D1 if you get at least 80 your A* wont be hindered in any way shape or form. All A2 modules count towards A*, the cores for maths and FP2/3 and applied >1 towards A* in further maths.
D1 is ridiculously easy definitely do that one.
Idk what person above is saying coz I'm doing an extra module :smile:

Wait so me doing Additional Further Maths Next year, the FP3 would count towards my FM grade? (I'm doing MEI AS Additional Further Maths with FP3 M3 S3)
Wait so me doing Additional Further Maths Next year, the FP3 would count towards my FM grade? (I'm doing MEI AS Additional Further Maths with FP3 M3 S3)

I'm not sure about your MEI but in my examboard you need 90% average in c3, c4 and overall A to get A* in maths.
In further maths you need to have an average of 90% across your best A2 modules, excluding cores, and overall average 80%.
So yeah FP3 can be counted as one of those three modules for your further maths A*.
Wait so me doing Additional Further Maths Next year, the FP3 would count towards my FM grade?

It depends on what you score in different units exactly which units count in which A level. FM has to contain FP1, at least 1 from FP2 and FP3 and another 3-4 units (not used in Maths) to make a total of 6. They will maximise your grade in FM and then put the remaining stuff in AFM AS.
Original post by Compost
It depends on what you score in different units exactly which units count in which A level. FM has to contain FP1, at least 1 from FP2 and FP3 and another 3-4 units (not used in Maths) to make a total of 6. They will maximise your grade in FM and then put the remaining stuff in AFM AS.

Aaah okay that makes sense :smile: Thanks!

Quick Reply