The Student Room Group

Why hasn't he asked me out!? Is it bad if I ask him?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
He obviously likes you. Just be patient and give him hints that you want something more with him

And he's probably shy to ask you out
Me and my boyfriend have been together a year and our relationship started out a lot like this. Eventually I got so fed up of his sporadic messaging patterns that whilst drunk I told him that if he liked me he'd better start messaging me more often and make a move. From that night on he text me everyday and a short while later asked me on a date but he waited til he had some time off work to ask me out.

What I didn't realise then because I'd only really been around him whilst he was drunk was that he was incredibly shy and even though I'd made it obvious I liked him he was still really nervous.
Original post by ChillinVillian
Me and my boyfriend have been together a year and our relationship started out a lot like this. Eventually I got so fed up of his sporadic messaging patterns that whilst drunk I told him that if he liked me he'd better start messaging me more often and make a move. From that night on he text me everyday and a short while later asked me on a date but he waited til he had some time off work to ask me out.

What I didn't realise then because I'd only really been around him whilst he was drunk was that he was incredibly shy and even though I'd made it obvious I liked him he was still really nervous.

this is kind of in the back of my mind, as he is quite a nervous/shy person and I've only been with him when drunk also but even then he's quite shy! I have a friend who works with him and she said he's painfully shy at work and barely speaks. but then I feel like I'm making excuses!

it's only getting to me because I thought this could genuinely go somewhere
Original post by Abraam56
He obviously likes you. Just be patient and give him hints that you want something more with him

And he's probably shy to ask you out

I hope so but all I can do is wait now, there's no way I can send another txt after being ignored :frown:
why does he have to ask you out?
Original post by Proxenus
why does he have to ask you out?

well I'm not the one taking ages replying to texts so it's obvious I like him, he knows he won't be turned down surely! :/
Reply 46
Awww this is cute. Just be patient and if he doesn't ask you out then he's just leading you on and that is unacceptable

Ask him where you stand with him

I really hope you get what you want

All love x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Also not to be rude or anything. But are you sure he's not using you as a side-chick ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abraam56
Also not to be rude or anything. But are you sure he's not using you as a side-chick ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt it or he would still be talking lol? he is really genuine in his texts and funny. it was him who first got in touch with me after we kissed as well and I probably wouldn't have messaged him if not :frown:
he replied!
Don't rush, guys don't like clingy girls, so just relax and let him come to you.
Original post by Anonymous
surely he wouldn't ignore me if so? or he would initiate the texts?

at first I posted this as I thoigt there was a chance I was just being too inpatient, but now I just assume he doesn't like me.

I got messed around before by a guy who I loved, and found out he had a gf and he chose to stay with her, so now when I get rejected by someone single it kinda hurts more! must be something im doing wrong.
the only the you're doing wrong IMO us expecting him to know how you feel and what you think without you telling him and getting hung up on him asking you and wondering what he thinks and feels without just asking him. You could have saved yourself the last couple of days of agonising over this by just talking to him. There is a telephone as well as a text function so you can speak to him and not wait around for an answer.

Yes its a bit scary but surely its better to know where you stand and move forward than wondering, expecting him to do all the legwork and trying to guess when you could just talk to him and ask. You could know the answer in literally minutes. Its just a question. Don't worry about appearing clingy, if he genuinely cares either as a friend or something more, it won't matter.

Do you really want to riskrisk regretting nothing happening because you didn't ask and always wondering?
Original post by FarahInYourFace
I had the same problem. So I went for it, and he, the love god, broke my heart. It turned out he saw me as a friend. I was so distressed. And in that horrible moment, I realised something. Being kind doesn't get you anywhere. Then, FarahInYourFace was born. It was kind of a big deal.

just curious, are u somali?
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
the only the you're doing wrong IMO us expecting him to know how you feel and what you think without you telling him and getting hung up on him asking you and wondering what he thinks and feels without just asking him. You could have saved yourself the last couple of days of agonising over this by just talking to him. There is a telephone as well as a text function so you can speak to him and not wait around for an answer.

Yes its a bit scary but surely its better to know where you stand and move forward than wondering, expecting him to do all the legwork and trying to guess when you could just talk to him and ask. You could know the answer in literally minutes. Its just a question. Don't worry about appearing clingy, if he genuinely cares either as a friend or something more, it won't matter.

Do you really want to riskrisk regretting nothing happening because you didn't ask and always wondering?

so literally come out with it and ask him if he likes me? how would I even ask that as it would be so out of the blue I'd be so nervous!

he replied tonight saying thank you and I asked what his plans were, and then I left it with that they sound good. I won't text him now I guess and see what happens..?
Original post by ElChapo
You already gave him sex, he has a very reduced incentive to take you out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did you let the cat out of the bag, Chapo?
so literally come out with it and ask him if he likes me? how would I even ask that as it would be so out of the blue I'd be so nervous!

he replied tonight saying thank you and I asked what his plans were, and then I left it with that they sound good. I won't text him now I guess and see what happens..?

Considering what's happened between you, it would hardly be out of the bluem yes its scary but wouldn't you rather just get the guessing games over with and just know one way or the other. Do you really want to be wondering and playing games for god knows how long and maybe even not getting anywhere because you were.to scared to ask and too hung up on who asks who, dates, trying to guess what each other is thinking to just get on with it and talk to him?

Also, by not just breaking the ice and finding out what you both want you're at as much risk of spoiling the friendship by playing these games. At least if you get it out in the open you know exactly where you stand. You can't guess what he's thinking and feeling, he can't guess what you're thinking and feeling. Strangers on a forum certainly have no clue.

I really think if you carry on running away from just talking about it. You may end up regretting it.

On the other hand, perhaps you shouldn't persue it. Relationships need communication, and if you can't get past this first hurdle, is there really much chance of a successful relationship?
+1 if you can't talk now as friends it doesn't give much towards talking in a relationship.
surely he wouldn't ignore me if so? or he would initiate the texts?

at first I posted this as I thoigt there was a chance I was just being too inpatient, but now I just assume he doesn't like me.

I got messed around before by a guy who I loved, and found out he had a gf and he chose to stay with her, so now when I get rejected by someone single it kinda hurts more! must be something im doing wrong.

Without any bias, I can categorically say that this guy has used you and moved on, in other words, to him you happen not to be relationship material to him.

For your own health, I suggest you move on from him as quickly as you can without dwelling on it and what could have been because it will cause you more pain in the long run.
:frown:
update: he rang to ask me out! YEY!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending