The Student Room Group

Why hasn't he asked me out!? Is it bad if I ask him?

Hey guys,

I have known this lad for a few years and he is good friends with my older brother and his friends. Since around christmas I have kept seeing him and one particular friend on nights out and we will stop and chat. A few weeks ago it ended up just me and him and we ended up kissing and since then messaging via Facebook.

Then this weekend I saw him out again wth the same friend he is usually with and we ended up going back to this friends house for drinks, along with my friend (4 of us in total). All night he held my hand and we kissed, and he told my friend he liked me and wouldn't mess me about and that he would take me out.

Anyway, he ended up back at my house later that night and we slept together. He was really sweet and even said he wished he didn't have to go home and even mentioned a next time and so on.

Since then though he hasn't asked me out (I know it's only been a few days but I know many girls who get asked out straight away!). We have spoke via Facebook but it's not the constant flow of messages which I was used to with the last guy I was seeing where we would text all day.

Am I being too impatient? I really like him but I am getting mixed signals as to whether he likes me back or not. I mentioned going out as a joke (to the place he told my friend he would take me) and he said he's skint at the moment but made a joke out of it. I know he lost money last week at Cheltenham races lol so he is genuine, but I am just being messed around?

Would I look desperate to ask him? What if he says no!

Like I said, he is good friends with my older brother (who knows nothing about us together!)

I just want him to ask me out :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
he's also quite a shy person and I don't think he has ever had a serious girlfriend before, but even so, I've made it pretty clear I like him lol
Reply 2
sorry to reply again! - when I saw him and his friend this weekend, his friend (who is VERY good friends wth my brother and knows me too) said did we want some time alone - presuming that the guy I like has told him that we were messaging? I don't know. I am reading too much into everything I JUST WANT A DATE! lol :smile:
Maybe give it a few more days and if he hasn't asked by then, then ask him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by channies
Maybe give it a few more days and if he hasn't asked by then, then ask him

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the reply :smile: im just worried that he would say no and I'll be gutted! I think I am Comparing things too much to my previous situation and im a bit clueless!

how would I ask him?! does it look silly to say I didn't dare ask but then I thought why not :smile:

part of me thinks he does like me, but the other part is totally messed up and wondering if he does or not! we get along well it was only the other week he had a drunken rant about how all his friends were settling down and he wanted to (he is 27) lol
Reply 5
If you don't ask you'll never know and will probably beat yourself up for a long time. Don't be scared of rejection or it will follow you your whole life.

Ask him about it! Find out what he wants and go from there, he might not realise you want to be with him.

It's all about communication :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Gott
If he hasn't got the balls to ask you then, I wouldn't bother yourself. 'A few years'?! Perhaps give him a hint

well he's the kind of person I would say hello to, simply because he knows my brother. but not properly know like where we would chat or anything, it's only since christmas since we have started speaking on nights out!
Reply 7
Original post by DanEXERT
If you don't ask you'll never know and will probably beat yourself up for a long time. Don't be scared of rejection or it will follow you your whole life.

Ask him about it! Find out what he wants and go from there, he might not realise you want to be with him.

It's all about communication :smile:

I would think he knows, especially as he came to mine and I always reply to him with subtle hints lol I just don't want to look too forward by asking him myself, but like you say if I don't ask I'll never know...
Reply 8
Maybe he's just shy haha, or doesn't want to make things awkward with your brother!
Reply 9
Original post by Gott
Give it time then. Don't girls have ways of dropping hints? :p:

well like I said I mentioned him taking me to the place he told he would take me to my friend (he was slightly drunk when he said this tho!) and he said he is skint...my friend said he might be waiting until he can afford to take me somewhere, but I don't know, I look on the negative side and see that he just hasn't asked me yet :tongue:

there's not much more I can do really to imply that im interested! maybe I'm too impatient...
Original post by DanEXERT
Maybe he's just shy haha, or doesn't want to make things awkward with your brother!

haha I doubt it, but he is quite shy..he takes ages to reply sometimes but then will always ask me questions or send a daft photo out of the blue which makes me think of he didn't want to chat then surely he wouldn't bother! if he ignores me then I'll get my brother on to him anyway :wink: haha kidding :smile:
Not all relationships start "formally" with dates and asking out... sometimes they just start and progress naturally... it kind of sounds like thats whats happening here. Don't get too hung up on the formalities of whos asking who out or going on dates, try just starting a conversation about what happened a few weeks ago and at the weekend and ask/talk about what you both want moving forward.

IMO, people get too hung up and feel under too much pressure about who asks who out and dates and when you're "officially" together... you can just allow it to be a natural progession. You've known each other a long time, so just try talking to each other like normal.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Not all relationships start "formally" with dates and asking out... sometimes they just start and progress naturally... it kind of sounds like thats whats happening here. Don't get too hung up on the formalities of whos asking who out or going on dates, try just starting a conversation about what happened a few weeks ago and at the weekend and ask/talk about what you both want moving forward.

IMO, people get too hung up and feel under too much pressure about who asks who out and dates and when you're "officially" together... you can just allow it to be a natural progession. You've known each other a long time, so just try talking to each other like normal.

thank you :smile: like I said though, we don't text all day every day which is something I was so used to with the guy I was previously seeing. I know I shouldn't compare but I don't really have much experience to go from really!

Maybe I will just keep the convo flowing this week and see what happens. he gets paid this weekend haha!
Original post by Gott
Then you could just remind him, if he's already asked you. I wouldn't try the subtle approach or else the problem will still arise and he'll regret not asking again as it were, just say 'when are we going/are you looking forward to going'? or something

he didn't ask me, he told my friend, and this was in the pub haha. I might just bite the bullet and ask if he fancies going for a drink, although it's his birthday this week and he is busy with his friends celebrating at the weekend.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

I have known this lad for a few years and he is good friends with my older brother and his friends. Since around christmas I have kept seeing him and one particular friend on nights out and we will stop and chat. A few weeks ago it ended up just me and him and we ended up kissing and since then messaging via Facebook.

Then this weekend I saw him out again wth the same friend he is usually with and we ended up going back to this friends house for drinks, along with my friend (4 of us in total). All night he held my hand and we kissed, and he told my friend he liked me and wouldn't mess me about and that he would take me out.

Anyway, he ended up back at my house later that night and we slept together. He was really sweet and even said he wished he didn't have to go home and even mentioned a next time and so on.

Since then though he hasn't asked me out (I know it's only been a few days but I know many girls who get asked out straight away!). We have spoke via Facebook but it's not the constant flow of messages which I was used to with the last guy I was seeing where we would text all day.

Am I being too impatient? I really like him but I am getting mixed signals as to whether he likes me back or not. I mentioned going out as a joke (to the place he told my friend he would take me) and he said he's skint at the moment but made a joke out of it. I know he lost money last week at Cheltenham races lol so he is genuine, but I am just being messed around?

Would I look desperate to ask him? What if he says no!

Like I said, he is good friends with my older brother (who knows nothing about us together!)

I just want him to ask me out :/

It's funny, I was in the same situation as u about 4-5 months ago, I kept seeing one of my brother's football teammates on nights out, and we chatted a lot. Any way one night we kissed but I went home as normal, then he sent me a message a few days after. However it wasn't for a date but just to see each other again, we have now been dating for 4 months ! I think every relationship works differently, you could either be patient and wait for him to text (which he probably will) or you could just send him a laid back message asking him if he wants to meet up (doesn't have to be a proper date) :smile:
thank you :smile: like I said though, we don't text all day every day which is something I was so used to with the guy I was previously seeing. I know I shouldn't compare but I don't really have much experience to go from really!

Maybe I will just keep the convo flowing this week and see what happens. he gets paid this weekend haha!

Realistically... most people don't have time to be texting all day every day... by the sounds of it he works (gets paid this weekend) so you can't really be texting while working...

Before I was living with my partner, we'd talk most days (call or text... sometimes we'd have 6 hour phone convos, but occasionally, we'd have a day where we didn't talk and that was fine. Each relationship has its own dynamic and you really can't compare one to another. What is really important in all relationships is that you're communicating regularly and effectively.
It's funny, I was in the same situation as u about 4-5 months ago, I kept seeing one of my brother's football teammates on nights out, and we chatted a lot. Any way one night we kissed but I went home as normal, then he sent me a message a few days after. However it wasn't for a date but just to see each other again, we have now been dating for 4 months ! I think every relationship works differently, you could either be patient and wait for him to text (which he probably will) or you could just send him a laid back message asking him if he wants to meet up (doesn't have to be a proper date) :smile:

aww :smile: yeah I aren't looking for a "date" as such, just seeing him would be nice but I'm waiting to be asked lol that's why the money thing threw me as I'd just be happy to go to his house or for a drive or whatever! I guess all I can do is wait and then if he still doesn't ask I should say does he wanna meet. does it look daft to say that I didn't dare ask, or shall I just have the confidence to say it outright :/ im nervous coz I really like him!
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Realistically... most people don't have time to be texting all day every day... by the sounds of it he works (gets paid this weekend) so you can't really be texting while working...

Before I was living with my partner, we'd talk most days (call or text... sometimes we'd have 6 hour phone convos, but occasionally, we'd have a day where we didn't talk and that was fine. Each relationship has its own dynamic and you really can't compare one to another. What is really important in all relationships is that you're communicating regularly and effectively.

true :smile: I will keep the convo going this week and wish him a happy birthday and then see what happens...
how's the best way to ask if I do have to? lol
aww :smile: yeah I aren't looking for a "date" as such, just seeing him would be nice but I'm waiting to be asked lol that's why the money thing threw me as I'd just be happy to go to his house or for a drive or whatever! I guess all I can do is wait and then if he still doesn't ask I should say does he wanna meet. does it look daft to say that I didn't dare ask, or shall I just have the confidence to say it outright :/ im nervous coz I really like him!

It's not daft that you don't dare ask, its normal but I think that if he doesn't ask in the next two days you should find the courage and give a go, it will be worth it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending