The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohheyimgeorgia
I'm expressing my interest again because this is totally up my street.
I like something a bit quirky and unusual, I'll be reading some of my required reading for uni which can be a bit heavy and, less be honest dull (Ulysses is gonna be fun), so something vastly different would be a relief. I've heard good things about books like 'Elizabeth is Missing', 'We are All Completely beside Ourselves', 'The Bees' and 'The Paying Guests'. Basically those 'cool' modern reads that get nominated for the Booker Prize and such and are something unique and amazing and make you feel things.

Thanks for expressing interest again :smile:
Ha, yes noted! We tend to give the five students a list of five possible books which they rank/vote for. Will ensure there's something a little more quirky for July but some great recommendations you've given there. The Paying Guests hasn't been out very long but it's been pretty popular on our site so far so could definitely be an option :smile:
Another review for May's book, which was The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The review is from donutaud15:

An award winning writer, Kazuo Ishiguro once again brings life to new characters in his book “The Buried Giant”. Though he has not written in a decade there is much excitement with the release of his latest contribution to literary world.

The Buried Giant is a captivating story of an older couple, Axl and Beatrice, living in Old England under the mythical King Arthur's rule. They are looking for their long-lost son but are under a spell cast by Merlin to cloud everyone's memory for their protection. As the novel progresses, the couple's relationship mirror the moral conflicts in which they find themselves in.

This novel shares similar themes of memory loss and the search for answers with Ishiguro's other books. The element of fantasy would make it appealing to younger readers whilst the theme of marital love and philosophy would appeal to older readers thus making it a classic in the making.
We'll picking five students at random on Monday for July's book club - so if you're interested please make sure you comment! Even if you posted in April or May interest it's still good to comment again just so we know that you're still definitely interested and free to read a book and write a review :smile:

Also - any book suggestions for July's book club are still welcome, as we'll put together a list of five possible books Monday morning - so please post over the weekend any titles/authors/genres etc. :smile:
I've just created a new thread called The TSR Wordery Book Club - Reviews!

This is to share all of the book reviews we have received so far, as it's an easy way to find them all and read them. :smile:
I'm interested again :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
May's Book - The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The review is from CongressTart:

I have mixed feelings about this book. While Ishiguro is an excellent writer as always, there were a few things that I probably would have changed, which I shall get to later.

The Buried Giant is a strange little novel. Our protagonists are Axl and Beatrice, an elderly couple who have set out on a journey to find their son, and get caught up in a quest to slay a dragon along the way. If there's one thing that Ishiguro succeeds at with this novel, it's evoking atmosphere. There is a general sense of confusion and haziness all the way throughout. In a novel where a mysterious fog is causing people to lose their memories and where the legacy of war is constantly hanging over the characters, this is rather important and definitely something that adds to the novel as a whole. The book also has a very intimate feel to it, both in its setting and in the ways in which the characters interact with one another. At times this leads to some very tender moments, which succeeded at drawing me in. In this case, I felt that the first fifty or so pages were pretty much perfect. This is how I'd hoped that the rest of the novel would be, with Axl and Beatrice fighting against the fog, encountering new people along the way, and wrestling with the remaining memories they had of one another, both good and bad.

However, once I got to the subplot with the dragon, this is where I started to lose interest. Unfortunately at this point the narrative starts to become rather slow and repetitive, and I found myself struggling to pay attention. I also realised just how bland Axl and Beatrice were once the plot got going. Personality wise there just isn't much to them. In another kind of story this might not be such a problem, but in a fantasy driven novel, and especially a quest narrative, it's very important that the reader is fully invested with what is going on, and if I'm honest, I don't think I was fully invested with this story.

Nevertheless, I would still recommend this book to fans of Ishiguro. He tackles the novel's themes with nuance and grace, and there is enough mystery to push you through to the end. However, this is far from one of the best novel's I've read this year, and I probably wouldn't read it again.
Original post by Sarah at Wordery
May's Book - The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The review is from CongressTart:

I have mixed feelings about this book. While Ishiguro is an excellent writer as always, there were a few things that I probably would have changed, which I shall get to later.

The Buried Giant is a strange little novel. Our protagonists are Axl and Beatrice, an elderly couple who have set out on a journey to find their son, and get caught up in a quest to slay a dragon along the way. If there's one thing that Ishiguro succeeds at with this novel, it's evoking atmosphere. There is a general sense of confusion and haziness all the way throughout. In a novel where a mysterious fog is causing people to lose their memories and where the legacy of war is constantly hanging over the characters, this is rather important and definitely something that adds to the novel as a whole. The book also has a very intimate feel to it, both in its setting and in the ways in which the characters interact with one another. At times this leads to some very tender moments, which succeeded at drawing me in. In this case, I felt that the first fifty or so pages were pretty much perfect. This is how I'd hoped that the rest of the novel would be, with Axl and Beatrice fighting against the fog, encountering new people along the way, and wrestling with the remaining memories they had of one another, both good and bad.

However, once I got to the subplot with the dragon, this is where I started to lose interest. Unfortunately at this point the narrative starts to become rather slow and repetitive, and I found myself struggling to pay attention. I also realised just how bland Axl and Beatrice were once the plot got going. Personality wise there just isn't much to them. In another kind of story this might not be such a problem, but in a fantasy driven novel, and especially a quest narrative, it's very important that the reader is fully invested with what is going on, and if I'm honest, I don't think I was fully invested with this story.

Nevertheless, I would still recommend this book to fans of Ishiguro. He tackles the novel's themes with nuance and grace, and there is enough mystery to push you through to the end. However, this is far from one of the best novel's I've read this year, and I probably wouldn't read it again.

Thanks Sarah, I've really enjoyed taking part, even if the book wasn't to my taste. :smile: I'd love to review another one!
Reply 287
I'm definitely interested!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm interested again :smile:
I'm interested:biggrin:

Sarah at Wordery
x
(edited 8 years ago)
The Prince of Mist is a Spanish book that was translates into English a few years ago. I read it in school as part of a magazine review and I quite enjoyed it. It's a young adult book with mystery. That might be a good book for someone to review.:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arkasia
I'm interested again :smile:

Me too :smile: :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Still interested! :smile: Have loads of time now that sixth form is finished with!
I'm interested! Plus it's my 18th birthday on Monday so would love a new book to read :biggrin: I'll read absolutely anything i'm not fussy haha
Im still interested . Need something productive to do throughout the summer holidays
I just finished reading last month's book (The Versions of Us) if you'd like a review from someone who didn't receive the book but had a copy anyway?
I'm interested! Need some more summer reading!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by minimarshmallow
I just finished reading last month's book (The Versions of Us) if you'd like a review from someone who didn't receive the book but had a copy anyway?

Yes absolutely! Feel free to post it on here anytime you like.

The five students for June who received that book, got it around 22nd June so we'll give them a couple more weeks to read it and write a review and then we should have there's up as well but it'll be great to hear your thoughts on it too :smile:
I'm up for this :yep:
* STUDENTS FOR JULY'S BOOK REVIEW *

Five students have been randomly picked for July's book review:

madeofstone1804
ohheyimgeorgia
silversarah
CSL123
minimarshmallow

If you're one of the chosen students, please email me asap ([email protected]), your TSR username and your full name and address. I'll then send you the list of five possible books for July and get you to rank them. The book with the highest votes will be delivered to all five students.

The list of books for July (the five students will rank the following books):
The Paying Guests
The Portable Door
The Bees
Wolf Born
The Girl On The Train

Latest

Trending

Trending