The Student Room Group

Arsenal match tickets - membership?

I am looking to buy 2 arsenal tickets to a match in the next month, few months as a present for my boyfriend.

I have never booked football tickets before and need help.

He supports arsenal so I looked on the website and from what I can gather you need a membership for each ticket you buy (around 35 for a "red membership") I understand this is the lowest so I was wondering what my chances of getting tickets were and how much they would be if I managed to. I don't know anyone with a membership already unfortunately. I was thinking of buying 2 one in my boyfriends name and one in my brothers (also a supporter) so that we would have 2 between us we could all use? Is this possible?

His birthday is soon! Please help a girl out haha - I'm thinking about 150-200 max for the actual tickets and preferably at home or near London matches.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nerual26
I am looking to buy 2 arsenal tickets to a match in the next month, few months as a present for my boyfriend.

I have never booked football tickets before and need help.

He supports arsenal so I looked on the website and from what I can gather you need a membership for each ticket you buy (around 35 for a "red membership") I understand this is the lowest so I was wondering what my chances of getting tickets were and how much they would be if I managed to. I don't know anyone with a membership already unfortunately. I was thinking of buying 2 one in my boyfriends name and one in my brothers (also a supporter) so that we would have 2 between us we could all use? Is this possible?

His birthday is soon! Please help a girl out haha - I'm thinking about 150-200 max for the actual tickets and preferably at home or near London matches.

Thanks

You can tickets for almost any home game with red memberships. For games against less glamorous opposition this can be for as little as £28 each if you sit in the lower tier behind either of the goals but for big games(vs Chelsea or Liverpool coming up for instance) it will be a minimum of £60 for these same seats. Be aware that there are higher tiers of membership than Red and for some games the tickets will all be sold out before Reds have a chance to buy them directly from the club. But lucky there is a scheme called 'Ticket Xchange' in which you can buy tickets online in a straightforward way from other members, but these tickets come up for sale on a random basis so you'd need to check regularly and hope to get 2 together.

So:
-smaller/average games: 100% chance of getting a ticket from the club
Big games: 99% chance of getting tickets but probably through ticket exchange

And yes you can use other members cards with permission, absolutely no problem for 2 memberships between 3 is fine.
Reply 2
Thanks so much! As you can tell I'm not a football fan myself haha

I was looking at arsenal v Chelsea game which is why I thought I'd check if I stood a chance at getting tickets as a red member before I brought it as I knew it would be popular. I think I will try to get those and failing that get tickets to a march against Swansea I think it was instead as its Category C.

Any recommendations on where to sit?

To be honest he is just a massive arsenal fan and has never got a chance to go to a match so don't think he'll be too fussed which game it was. But I understand the better players play the better team etc. I'm so excited to buy these for him :-)

Thanks a lot I would have asked him but wanted it to be a surprise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'd recommend having a look around on twitter and other sites if you don't want to purchase membership just for the sake of one or two game. There's one twitter @arsenal_tickets that's worth a look but in most cases you have to get the tickets on the day.

Hope that helps
Reply 4
Original post by StevenJH
I'd recommend having a look around on twitter and other sites if you don't want to purchase membership just for the sake of one or two game. There's one twitter @arsenal_tickets that's worth a look but in most cases you have to get the tickets on the day.

Hope that helps

Thanks I just always worry that they'll be a scam, I know it'd be a lot cheaper, but I would be so worried that I turn up and end up not being able to get in or something!

Thanks though, I'm sure there are many trustworthy people selling etc. But as its as a birthday present I especially don't want to have the disapointment!
Thanks I just always worry that they'll be a scam, I know it'd be a lot cheaper, but I would be so worried that I turn up and end up not being able to get in or something!

Thanks though, I'm sure there are many trustworthy people selling etc. But as its as a birthday present I especially don't want to have the disapointment!

You're a good girlfriend. What Zurich said is good advice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
You're a good girlfriend. What Zurich said is good advice :smile:

Hahaa thanks! Yeah it is, I just didnt want to buy the memberships if I had no chance of actually getting tickets as other members get them first. Thanks for both of your advice.

All I'm saying is arsenal better win after all this :biggrin:
Reply 7

No worries, that's fair enough. Great shout for getting them as a present though, your boyfriend's gonna be chuffed!
Out of interest - how old is he? What I mean really is could you get an u18 membership? Long shot haha, but kids count as 'silver' memberships and so get ticketing priority over reds.

Bear in mind also that tickets for Arsenal vs Chelsea have already gone on sale and are virtually sold out (I'm going :wink: lol). Arsenal vs West Brom in May would be more viable as it hasn't gone on sale yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by StevenJH
No worries, that's fair enough. Great shout for getting them as a present though, your boyfriend's gonna be chuffed!

Thanks! I'm so excited to give them to him :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by midgemeister7
Out of interest - how old is he? What I mean really is could you get an u18 membership? Long shot haha, but kids count as 'silver' memberships and so get ticketing priority over reds.

Bear in mind also that tickets for Arsenal vs Chelsea have already gone on sale and are virtually sold out (I'm going :wink: lol). Arsenal vs West Brom in May would be more viable as it hasn't gone on sale yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

20 haha! Yeah I know but it says the red member tickets go on sale on the 23rd I think it was? And there's a garunteed 3500? That's why I was asking as it'll be popular I thought all the higher members would already have brought them. I know the ones in may give me more of a chance but his birthdays mid April so I won't have anything to give him and I won't be garunteed to get the tickets if that makes sense.
20 haha! Yeah I know but it says the red member tickets go on sale on the 23rd I think it was? And there's a garunteed 3500? That's why I was asking as it'll be popular I thought all the higher members would already have brought them. I know the ones in may give me more of a chance but his birthdays mid April so I won't have anything to give him and I won't be garunteed to get the tickets if that makes sense.

Yeah I see what you mean. About the 3500 - it's a very grey area really and although it is claimed 3500 are held back for red members every game, it's unclear as to whether that is always the case. For the Chelsea game some might be held back, but there'll be huge demand and they'll sell out within 10 mins of going on sale pretty much. The tickets left will also be the £90ish ones each in the upper tier at the back.

What about Arsenal vs Swansea? Tickets for reds go on sale 9th April I believe and you'll have more chance getting tickets for that game.
Reply 12
Yeah I see what you mean. About the 3500 - it's a very grey area really and although it is claimed 3500 are held back for red members every game, it's unclear as to whether that is always the case. For the Chelsea game some might be held back, but there'll be huge demand and they'll sell out within 10 mins of going on sale pretty much. The tickets left will also be the £90ish ones each in the upper tier at the back.

What about Arsenal vs Swansea? Tickets for reds go on sale 9th April I believe and you'll have more chance getting tickets for that game.

Yeah I expected that the ones left would be the seats no one wanted and the prices would be put up! Always the way! Its a bit like booking concerts which I'm used to you have to get there literally as it opens.

I was thinking buy 2 red memberships have a look see if I can buy some to the Chelsea games (under £70 each) if not then I would go for the Swansea game instead as its listed as a category c game and obviously is no where near as popular.

As long as I can get tickets to either I'll be happy!! I'm going to ask around before the tickets go on sale in case I can find people I know with memberships already as then I'll be able to spend an extra £60 on the tickets as I won't have to pay for memberships.

Guessing I want to be seated in lower tier?
Yeah I expected that the ones left would be the seats no one wanted and the prices would be put up! Always the way! Its a bit like booking concerts which I'm used to you have to get there literally as it opens.

I was thinking buy 2 red memberships have a look see if I can buy some to the Chelsea games (under £70 each) if not then I would go for the Swansea game instead as its listed as a category c game and obviously is no where near as popular.

As long as I can get tickets to either I'll be happy!! I'm going to ask around before the tickets go on sale in case I can find people I know with memberships already as then I'll be able to spend an extra £60 on the tickets as I won't have to pay for memberships.

Guessing I want to be seated in lower tier?

Unfortunately for the Chelsea game you almost certainly won't be able to get tickets for under £70, because all of the remaining tickets will be in the upper tier with prices ranging from £74.50-96. See prices here: http://www.arsenal.com/tickets/member-ticket-prices

Swansea is obviously less popular, although I wouldn't be too complacent as they get snapped up quickly! You'll need to log on at the exact time they go on sale in order to secure them most likely. Yeah, asking around is a good idea as that'll save a fair bit.

Lower tier is preferable as the atmosphere there is slightly better, although the view is obviously better in the upper tier. I'm sure he won't be too fussed where he sits anyway though! It's insanely difficult for red members to be able to get lower tier tickets, so you'll probably end up having to get upper tier anyway. One advantage of the Swansea game is the fact it's considerably cheaper - only £30ish vs £80 for the Chelsea game.
Thanks so much! As you can tell I'm not a football fan myself haha

I was looking at arsenal v Chelsea game which is why I thought I'd check if I stood a chance at getting tickets as a red member before I brought it as I knew it would be popular. I think I will try to get those and failing that get tickets to a march against Swansea I think it was instead as its Category C.

Any recommendations on where to sit?

To be honest he is just a massive arsenal fan and has never got a chance to go to a match so don't think he'll be too fussed which game it was. But I understand the better players play the better team etc. I'm so excited to buy these for him :-)

Thanks a lot I would have asked him but wanted it to be a surprise!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You wont get tickets for Chelsea directly but as I say, they will be on re-sale from other members and you can buy them on the website in a straightforward manner. Only issue is finding 2 seats together and you might have to log in a few times to keep checking if/when 2 are available. They can be snapped up rather fast for games like Chelsea. As I sat as well, Swansea would be less than half the price which is worth considering. Arsenal is notoriously expensive for big games.

Best place to sit is generally considered to be blocks 6/7/8/9 of the North Bank where standing is de facto allowed by the stewards and you're likely to find the best atmosphere.

Word of warning though for Chelsea the 'atmosphere' is likely to consist of 90m of persistent and x-rated abuse of ex-Arsenal Chelsea player Cesc Fabregas and juvenile taunting of Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
If you decide to go to even less popular games (probably have to be next season now) then you might not even have to buy membership.

I have an Arsenal membership number (but have never paid the membership fee) and I've been to Champions League group stage games, FA Cup and League Cup games at the Emirates.
Reply 16
Original post by Zürich
You wont get tickets for Chelsea directly but as I say, they will be on re-sale from other members and you can buy them on the website in a straightforward manner. Only issue is finding 2 seats together and you might have to log in a few times to keep checking if/when 2 are available. They can be snapped up rather fast for games like Chelsea. As I sat as well, Swansea would be less than half the price which is worth considering. Arsenal is notoriously expensive for big games.

Best place to sit is generally considered to be blocks 6/7/8/9 of the North Bank where standing is de facto allowed by the stewards and you're likely to find the best atmosphere.

Word of warning though for Chelsea the 'atmosphere' is likely to consist of 90m of persistent and x-rated abuse of ex-Arsenal Chelsea player Cesc Fabregas and juvenile taunting of Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho :biggrin:

I didn't think I would, I'll keep looking on there to see if I can get 2 together worth a try.

Think my best bet will be Swansea ones and I'll be more likely to get a better seat and cheaper etc. Thanks I had no idea where to sit I knew nearer the pitch but not what block for view etc. So thank you!

Oh right haha there's always some drama about football I personally don't care but I know football fans are into all that! Hahaa I think no matter which game he'll find it a good experience & he'll at least get to see his team either way!

I don't mind paying for membership as he can always use it for future games this season if he wants or my brother can as he's also a supporter. Buying football tickets is stressful when your a newbie haha
Original post by Zürich

Blocks 6-9 are virtually all season tickets though, and I find anyway that the North Bank is full of grumpy old ****s.
Reply 18
Blocks 6-9 are virtually all season tickets though, and I find anyway that the North Bank is full of grumpy old ****s.

Haha! I'll just try get any nearest the pitch or use the best available selection. I guess you can never tell what it'll be like till you get there.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Original post by Zürich

Surely she could try and get tickets with the away fans seeing as we're a bunch of scum who can't sell out our allocation.

Quick Reply

Latest