The Student Room Group

Do Cambridge take people who get straight A*s over 3 years with an excuse?

After reading what was said in that other 95 UMS is this true?

I am not a retake student ftr.

But if someone had a genuine excuse, would it make a difference- i.e. personal injury, late diagnosis of learning difficulty or something else that would explain it would that suffice.

Or would those types of people's applications be thrown in the incinerator because Cambridge courses are too over subscribed with everyone getting 4 A stars and greater?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by EmmaBxoxo

But if someone had a genuine excuse, would it make a difference- i.e. personal injury, late diagnosis of learning difficulty or something else that would explain it would that suffice.

Or would those types of people's applications be thrown in the incinerator because Cambridge courses are too over subscribed with everyone getting 4 A stars and greater?

Normally Camb expects applicants to complete A-levels in 2 years, but if significant circumstances prevent this they would understand. You would complete an Extenuating Circumstances Form and have a reasonable chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Normally Camb expects applicants to complete A-levels in 2 years, but if significant circumstances prevent this they would understand. You would complete an Extenuating Circumstances Form and have a reasonable chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting so that other user was wrong. Thanks for the info.
Reply 3

Which other user?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Which other user?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The guy in the "Can I revise now to get 95+ UMS" thread, it doesn't matter lol.
I didn't even get all A*s for GCE A levels and I spent 3 years at sixth form. Even then Cambridge invited me to an interview.
who cares about cambridge? (srs)
Reply 7
Original post by CrapDunGoofed
who cares about cambridge? (srs)

People who want to go there.
Reply 8
most have social anxiety

Most of the people here really don't...
Original post by alow
Most of the people here really don't...

my bad, thought this thread was about oxford
Reply 10
my bad, thought this thread was about oxford

You should email the admissions tutor of the college/s you're interested in, explaining. Only they will be able to tell you if your circumstances are deemed significant enough to warrant three years of A-Levels.

Cambridge seem to be pretty understanding in general though, they're not going to throw out applications failing x conditions. It's all looked at in context.
Reply 12
If it helps, I'm a third year student (having retaken my first) and I still got an interview and then pooled by Cambridge.
I didn't get an offer, but the third year thing was never even mentioned.

Cambridge (and I believe Oxford, for that matter) care about very little else other than your potential, despite what many people (who know next to nothing about the application process) will tell you. So as long as you fulfil their criteria you should be fine.

For the record, the 95% UMS thing is also untrue... Obviously, the higher the better, but it's used more to reassure their confidence in your academic ability than as a fixed rule. Other factors such as performance in interview, personal statement, SAQ, TSA's, etc are equally taken into account.

Best of luck!

The admissions tutor at Christ's periodically hosts threads on TSR in which applicants can ask questions about their specific circumstances. You can ask there when the next one comes up - though I don't know when that is.
Reply 14
Original post by ageshallnot
The admissions tutor at Christ's periodically hosts threads on TSR in which applicants can ask questions about their specific circumstances. You can ask there when the next one comes up - though I don't know when that is.

Yes, and past Admissions Tutor threads often already hold the answers to most questions - they should be compulsory reading for any Cambridge applicant! :wink:

Christ's AT Thread (the most recent of 5 he has hosted so far)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2801773

Peterhouse AT also recently hosted a thread. Their next one is in May.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3120743

And Lucy Cavendish AT (for 21+ applicants) has an ongoing thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2878031
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
I didn't even get all A*s for GCE A levels and I spent 3 years at sixth form. Even then Cambridge invited me to an interview.

Raymaaaaaats is this truee??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coconuthead--
Raymaaaaaats is this truee??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, of course. Why would I be dishonest???
Original post by Raymat
Yes, of course. Why would I be dishonest???

No I believe you...but I've seen people get 3-4 straight A*s in 2 years and have been rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are invited, you should probably further explain your situation in the interview.
Reply 19
Original post by comptroller
If you are invited, you should probably further explain your situation in the interview.

Actually, having been there myself, I wouldn't bother.

The interviews are short enough as it is, and they tend to get straight down to business in order to make a fair assessment of your abilities.

Do bear in mind that if you apply with extenuating circumstances then you'll fill out an "Extenuating Circumstances" form which is sent to the college along with your SAQ. If you need to explain anything to them do it on there.

However, as I said previously, they care very little about anything other than potential, and having taken an extra year (especially if you have good reason to) should not hold you back at all, providing you're a strong candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending