The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think he applied for Comp Sci and management, at least that’s what I think his signature read when I first had a look at this thread earlier today.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
qwerty18
I think he applied for Comp Sci and management, at least that’s what I think his signature read when I first had a look at this thread earlier today.

Ok..that could explain it
Reply 22
Yeah it takes the p that they've cancelled your course only 3 weeks after the offer as they must have known before but its not like you're already here, just don't pick Sussex and apply somewhere else, the other uni won't be aware that you didn't chose them before.

Count yourself lucky you didn't find out about the real extent of the crap resources / lack of funding until you chose it and got here like me!
If it's that crappy Cookie, why are you so upset it's cancelled? Perhaps they didn't get enough interest for the course to justify running it. Have they offered an alternative such a straight computer science?
zoea85

Count yourself lucky you didn't find out about the real extent of the crap resources / lack of funding until you chose it and got here like me!

is it that bad? :confused:
Reply 25
xx Rebecca
is it that bad? :confused:

No, at least I don't think so.

It is a bit fashionable at the moment to go on about it though. It's a shame, I think its a very impressive uni indeed and it is sad to hear people bitching on...

Probably a good idea the VC leaves though...it will give everyone the chance to start afresh
Reply 26
ledge
No, at least I don't think so.

It is a bit fashionable at the moment to go on about it though. It's a shame, I think its a very impressive uni indeed and it is sad to hear people bitching on...

Probably a good idea the VC leaves though...it will give everyone the chance to start afresh

Excuse me, I'm not 'bitching on' or being 'fashionable'. If you go to the library to complete urgent essays and all the books you want to take out are either taken out already or missing and there are only 2 long loan copies of an important text with no core or short loan alternatives between 900 + psychology students, I think there is good reason to moan.

It is well known that the library resources are pretty poor across many subjects and I've heard many complaints about it. With a subject like mine with an intake of 300 students a year, it kind of affects me a lot!

I was really enthusiastic about Sussex before I came here, I'm not a sheep but I'm not going to hide my head in the clouds and pretend everything is rosy either, cos it's not.
Reply 27
zoea85
Excuse me, I'm not 'bitching on' or being 'fashionable'. If you go to the library to complete urgent essays and all the books you want to take out are either taken out already or missing and there are only 2 long loan copies of an important text with no core or short loan alternatives between 900 + psychology students, I think there is good reason to moan.

It is well known that the library resources are pretty poor across many subjects and I've heard many complaints about it. With a subject like mine with an intake of 300 students a year, it kind of affects me a lot!

I was really enthusiastic about Sussex before I came here, I'm not a sheep but I'm not going to hide my head in the clouds and pretend everything is rosy either, cos it's not.

Fair enough. No need to lose your cool.

I do disagree with you though. There's a huge library with a massive selection of books and in my experience (if I am reasonably careful with my planning) no problem getting copies of them.

I am not in your department so I don't know the situation with your course. But I do think that in general, there is a bit more whinging going on than there are problems.
ledge
Fair enough. No need to lose your cool.

I do disagree with you though. There's a huge library with a massive selection of books and in my experience (if I am reasonably careful with my planning) no problem getting copies of them.

I am not in your department so I don't know the situation with your course. But I do think that in general, there is a bit more whinging going on than there are problems.

given that sussex has been badly managed, given that it is in debt, given that there have been cuts, given that, yes, the library is often found lacking when you are looking for books you need for an essay, it is not unreasonable that someone should point out the failings. my friend works at the library, he has had library jobs before and previously been to another university, and in his words, sussex library is '****'

well, i don't want to paint an overwhelmingly negative picture. my sussex experience has overall been very good, and sussex has very well regarded courses in a number of subjects (meaning, generally, that you should get good teaching and resources in those subjects). if you apply to sussex, you should enjoy it and if you apply for a course which sussex is high in the league tables for, it should be as good as is suggested. however, just because we are sussex students it does not mean we should be sycophantic about the university. we are paying for the service, and we have a right to complain if, despite the positives in the course, there are negatives which disadvantage us.
I've found the resources ok for Drama and English, but perhaps it's worse for science subjects.
edit: oh gosh, it censored me. and it was even a quote. oh well
Reply 31
fine crystal
given that sussex has been badly managed, given that it is in debt, given that there have been cuts, given that, yes, the library is often found lacking when you are looking for books you need for an essay, it is not unreasonable that someone should point out the failings. my friend works at the library, he has had library jobs before and previously been to another university, and in his words, sussex library is '****'

well, i don't want to paint an overwhelmingly negative picture. my sussex experience has overall been very good, and sussex has very well regarded courses in a number of subjects (meaning, generally, that you should get good teaching and resources in those subjects). if you apply to sussex, you should enjoy it and if you apply for a course which sussex is high in the league tables for, it should be as good as is suggested. however, just because we are sussex students it does not mean we should be sycophantic about the university. we are paying for the service, and we have a right to complain if, despite the positives in the course, there are negatives which disadvantage us.

Of course we shouldn't be sycophantic for the sake of it; that is not what I intended to suggest.

I am just saying that in my experience, some of the problems Sussex has are sometimes overstated a little. Not that they don't exist; just that they ought to be kept in perspective.

Negativity tends to breed negativity, that is all I'm sensitive about. As a result I am happy to provide the other side of the argument if people are slagging the place off :smile:

I still think the library is great, too
Just to mention. From all the unis i have been looking at sussex is the only one that seems to be mentioned multiple times for having problems. It was in the times top 10 worst student satisfaction table. So im guessing some of the problems people are talking about are real. I therefore have decided to withdraw my application and look at a different uni all together.

This thread has ruined my rep. how nice of you all : )
Reply 33
cookiejest

Perhaps that should tell you something? :wink:

Good luck in finding somewhere to study.
Reply 34
cookiejest
Just to mention. From all the unis i have been looking at sussex is the only one that seems to be mentioned multiple times for having problems. It was in the times top 10 worst student satisfaction table. So im guessing some of the problems people are talking about are real. I therefore have decided to withdraw my application and look at a different uni all together.

They actually neg repped you? How sad! I'll give you a pos rep to try even it out a little. :smile: Some people have too much time on their hands *sigh*
Reply 35
zoea85

I have also heard anecdotal evidence (from a flatmate) about the lack of psychology resources in the library. It is normally a good idea to try and plan out essays and such a few weeks before the deadline and try and get the books then.
Zoe, if this is a subject specific issue, have you tried speaking to your student rep, head of year etc? Or how about trying to kick up a stink in the badger? You need to get on a serious moaning spree, I certainly would!

Also I think some of the reason Sussex gets moaned about a lot, is that it has a lot of students who like to get involved in activism and trying to make the uni better. The fact that the issues at Sussex have been brought to light is positive really, in a lot of unis nobody would even bother.
Yeah, I agree.

I think Sussex has it's problems, but the reason we hear about it so much is a mixture of those issues and the fact that students here are pretty keen on voicing their opinions.

It's a shame that freedom of expression (a positive thing about Sussex) actually makes the uni look bad, or worse than it is. We should be grateful stuff like this actually comes to light, and might actually get fixed.
Reply 38
ladyportacabin
Zoe, if this is a subject specific issue, have you tried speaking to your student rep, head of year etc? Or how about trying to kick up a stink in the badger? You need to get on a serious moaning spree, I certainly would!

Also I think some of the reason Sussex gets moaned about a lot, is that it has a lot of students who like to get involved in activism and trying to make the uni better. The fact that the issues at Sussex have been brought to light is positive really, in a lot of unis nobody would even bother.

lol yeh don't worry I've been in touch with the reps and course convenor (who hasn't replied suprise suprise). The reps are good at what they do and have brought it up already, only to be confronted with lame excuses but they're still going to persist.

The badger is a very good idea though, I hadn't thought of that, thanks! Things always get sorted more easily when there is media coverage!
Reply 39
My couse got cancelled after I had made my firm choice and a couple of years ago students studying chemistry at exeter had to move university because the course was cancelled so there are people in a much worse position than you.
Of course they wont mention that the university is in debt it's not usually something you shout about and anyway most unis are in debt, Oxford made a loss of something like £10 million last year.
I love it here and I don't think that the management eg the vice chancellor affect me personally that much.

Steph

Latest

Trending

Trending