The Student Room Group

Why is it so hard to get a weekend job.

I have looked for weekend job for months now and am just wondering why is so hard to come by. I would appreciate an idea on how I could get one.
Original post by Amydd
I have looked for weekend job for months now and am just wondering why is so hard to come by. I would appreciate an idea on how I could get one.

They are out there, its just a case of finding one.
Hand your CV in to anywhere that will accept it.
Quite a few places require you to apply online nowadays, such as mcdonalds, aldi, asda etc so try applying to those places online.
Look in shop windows, as some places have jobs advertised there.
Also look on indeed.com
Reply 2
Thanks Emma.
Original post by Amydd

Unfortunately, at the moment a lot of people are underemployed, so less firms have specific "Saturday jobs"- for these you may be better off trying smaller, more traditional employers. Maybe offering some flexibility- e.g. stating you would do more hours in the school holidays might be appreciated, as this is often a time that employers need weekend cover.

However, if you have applied for existing positions, it may be that there are issues with your CV, especially if you never hear anything back. Have you got advice on your CV from anyone?

Are you under 16? If so, this may make getting a weekend job harder.
Hi, Emma. I've prepared my CV, if I were to take it straight to some local cafes, what would I say to the manager? I'm not sure what I'd ask, if they haven't said they were hiring but if I were to give it in anyway in case they just weren't advertising but still looking for someone??
theres a million job adverts online, its easy to find one
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
theres a million job adverts online, its easy to find one

to find but not actually get...i've applied to big and small retailers online and nothing - either i fail the screening test no matter what i put in or I get the "sorry we arent taking you application further" I guess the only thing I don't do is a cover letter , i think my CV is ok and most jobs i apply for dont require a cover letter as its optional?
I got absolutely nowhere with online stuff but the first two local cafes that I handed my CV into, I got an offer from both of them and now work happily at the weekend in a local tea room. I'd look for small, local businesses like corner stores, pubs/restaurants, and cafes as they're more liekly to hire teenagers for weekend staff when they're much busier (although it helps me that I live in a village surrounded by other villages so besides the one sainsbury's, all we have is local shops)
"17-03-2015"

Imma just leave dat dere...
Reply 9
Original post by Drunk Punx
"17-03-2015"

Imma just leave dat dere...

Haha lol :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending