The Student Room Group

Could somebody give me some detail as to how the *subject knowledge audit* task works

Is it done during your Teacher Training?

Or before?

How does it work?

Thanks.
Original post by xjay1234
Is it done during your Teacher Training?

Or before?

How does it work?

Thanks.

During. Some training providers might be more rigorous but I know of universities that ask trainees to sit down in pairs and sign each other off. Hopeless.
At the start of the course we had to do a self-assessment / audit type thing where we rated our knowledge of different aspects (in my case, French and Spanish vocabulary and grammar). Our tutors then read it and set us targets of areas to work on.

We had to do independent work/research to develop our knowledge in those areas and then submit a summary of what we had done.

We also had to take it in turns to teach a short session on an aspect of French grammar to the rest of our coursemates, and were encouraged to pick something we felt we needed to revise ourselves.

Of course subject knowledge was assessed by school mentors throughout the course in the sense that there would have been problems if anyone obviously didn't know their stuff. My 2nd mentor was so relieved to have someone who actually knew the content well enough because the previous student they'd had (who had failed the PGCE) was constantly using worksheets and powerpoint with basic mistakes in, so they had to collect it all in beforehand and make corrections to ensure the trainee wasn't teaching their pupils incorrectly.
Reply 3
So, basically it is just an assessment of what you feel you need to improve on in terms of you degree knowledge; and 'brush up' on it so to speak?

Then hand in a short miniature essay/summary to the tutor. Then he or she will go over it etc etc.

Along with the other stuff you said which I knew.

Okay, thanks.

Original post by myrtille
At the start of the course we had to do a self-assessment / audit type thing where we rated our knowledge of different aspects (in my case, French and Spanish vocabulary and grammar). Our tutors then read it and set us targets of areas to work on.

We had to do independent work/research to develop our knowledge in those areas and then submit a summary of what we had done.

We also had to take it in turns to teach a short session on an aspect of French grammar to the rest of our coursemates, and were encouraged to pick something we felt we needed to revise ourselves.

Of course subject knowledge was assessed by school mentors throughout the course in the sense that there would have been problems if anyone obviously didn't know their stuff. My 2nd mentor was so relieved to have someone who actually knew the content well enough because the previous student they'd had (who had failed the PGCE) was constantly using worksheets and powerpoint with basic mistakes in, so they had to collect it all in beforehand and make corrections to ensure the trainee wasn't teaching their pupils incorrectly.
Original post by xjay1234
So, basically it is just an assessment of what you feel you need to improve on in terms of you degree knowledge; and 'brush up' on it so to speak?

Then hand in a short miniature essay/summary to the tutor. Then he or she will go over it etc etc.

Along with the other stuff you said which I knew.

Okay, thanks.

Not necessarily. I did school direct with pgce from a big uni. They made us do a self assessed knowledge audit and then absolutely NOTHING happened with it. Not a thing. Total waste of half an hour of my life, lol.
Reply 5
I had to do a subject knowledge audit and keep it regularly updated for placements, but, it just gets submitted at the end with a plan to address any gaps that are still present there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending