The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Reading or Birmingham?

I have an offer of ABB from Birmingham Uni and Reading Uni to study Politics. Just have no idea which one to firm, Birmingham seems like its got the better course and better future prospects after it and is a lot higher ranked than Reading, but Reading just seems a such nicer place with a nicer campus.

Thanks
Reply 1
I was in the same position choosing between Reading and Birmingham. I chose Reading because it is closer to home and like yourself liked the campus and environment, i haven't regretted it one bit
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ljb.95
I was in the same position choosing between Reading and Birmingham. I chose Reading because it is closer to home and like yourself liked the campus and environment, i haven't regretted it one bit

What course are you studying?
Reply 3
geography. Birmingham is higher rated but i preferred the course and the modules available here at Reading
Original post by Tom_Jones
I have an offer of ABB from Birmingham Uni and Reading Uni to study Politics. Just have no idea which one to firm, Birmingham seems like its got the better course and better future prospects after it and is a lot higher ranked than Reading, but Reading just seems a such nicer place with a nicer campus.

Thanks

Hello!

I'm a student at the University of Reading so will naturally recommend Reading! But I know it can be very difficult choosing between universities so I hope this helps.

I would say that the course is the most important as you will be studying it for three years. Research properly into the modules that are taught each year to see if there are any that particularly stand out to you that are not taught in the other university. At the same time you do have to find the right balance between choosing the course you want to study, the area, prospects and facilities at a university.

There are statistics that show employment rates of graduates from universities which can be useful and interesting to see. However, for future prospects a lot of it is down to your own work and experience gained throughout your time at university as well as a good degree. Perhaps check the career guidance services that each university has to offer. At the University of Reading, regular career workshops are held that may be in relation to your degree or help enhance your skills. There are even mock interviews that can be arranged and tailored to fit the job that you are applying for. Check the web page for more information http://www.reading.ac.uk/careers/

Have you visited both the universities? This is very important and I remember that there were some universities that sounded amazing but when I visited them, they were not what I expected them to be. Its just personal preference and doesn't necessarily mean that the university and area is bad! You will be living at the university place for three years so need to see if you can really imagine being a student there and that you will enjoy it too.

Feel free to ask any more questions and good luck with choosing!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending