The Student Room Group

Any Scottish students reading History in England?

Hey guys, this is about the fourth time I've posted this message, but I'm really desperate for help! Basically I want to read History somewhere down south, but don't really know what offers to expect! I got AAAAB at Higher, and am predicted an A in AH History, A/B in Modern Studies and A/B in Biology. I'm really interested in Sheffield; anyone on here there? Help!
Reply 1
Where else are you applying?
Reply 2
Acaila
Where else are you applying?

Sheffield, Newcastle, Leeds, Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews. Application went off yesterday...!
Reply 3
From what I've heard, Newcastle understand the Scottish system better than other English unis, and obviously Edinburgh and St Andrews will do :smile:
No idea about what the other three are like re. Scottish applicants though
Reply 4
Out of curiosity why do you want to go down south?
Reply 5
Dhesi
Out of curiosity why do you want to go down south?

Mainly because these universities are better for History than the Scottish ones. Also, I find these cities more appealing to live in than most of the Scottish ones I've researched, and tbh I see my permanent future being in England, so may as well make the move now :p:
Reply 6
Does the living costs of going to an English University not scare you though?
Reply 7
I have found History at Edinburgh to be fantastic. I am doing Geography here as my main subject (although I am going to try to change to a joint degree) but have done just as much History up to now (I'm in 2nd year). Although the Guardian ranked Edinburgh as 2nd in the UK for Geography I have found History to be better. If you like urban history Social History 2 is a fantastic course with Robert Morris being particularly excellent. European History 1 last year was great too.
exactly what is urban history?
Reply 9
The history of cities. Although the city a thousand years ago was a far cry from the present day connotations of 'city'. There were far less people in the world, far fewer cities, and cities were much smaller. We have also looked at modern cities and problems that have faced them in recent years (e.g. gated communities in cities such as Los Angeles).

Latest

Trending

Trending