The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Maths Interview Questions - Daily Rep

Scroll to see replies

Is there some kind of sylabbus online on what topics they might cover during the interview? I mean, they can't expect you to know toppography or chaos theory of a high school student.
Original post by FutureOxford3
Is there some kind of sylabbus online on what topics they might cover during the interview? I mean, they can't expect you to know toppography or chaos theory of a high school student.

Your A-Level syllabus is all you need.
Original post by Zacken
Your A-Level syllabus is all you need.

Can you link me to it please. I forgot where I put it. Thanks.
Original post by FutureOxford3
Can you link me to it please. I forgot where I put it. Thanks.

Consider using a device known as a "computer" to access a search engine hosted externally via the Internet. I'm told they make this kind of task much easier nowadays.
maths is hard
Original post by Mop3476
maths is hard

You'll be fine, don't stress

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do u still hav the document with all answers to these question?
Could you post your solutions?
I think question No.4 is not as easy as what the author written in the spoiler.:smile:
70) 166 zeroes
Original post by BlackChess7531
70) 166 zeroes
Question means "how many trailing zeroes", and you are not supposed to use a caclculating device.
Is the answer for 12) 1225?
Original post by Shrootz
Is the answer for 12) 1225?
I think that's quite a bit too high (but I didn't exactly spend much time on it). Care to explain your reasoning?
Original post by DFranklin
I think that's quite a bit too high (but I didn't exactly spend much time on it). Care to explain your reasoning?

Yeah, I realised the mistake I made. I drew four dots then six, eight and realised there was a pattern in the number of squares but when I drew the dots it was an n by 2 grid not an n by n grid as the question specifies:indiff:.
Reply 614
Original post by Shrootz
Yeah, I realised the mistake I made. I drew four dots then six, eight and realised there was a pattern in the number of squares but when I drew the dots it was an n by 2 grid not an n by n grid as the question specifies:indiff:.

That one I got 285 as the answer, noticing that every time you increase the grid dimensions byone, you add (n-1)^2 new potential squares to the possibilities.

So for a grid of 2x2 dots, it's 1^2, grid of 3x3 dots it's 1^2 +2^2, for a grid of 4x4, it's 1^2 +2^2 + 3^2. And so on for all values of n.
Original post by El Matematico
17. Prove 4n - 1 is a multiple of 3

This is true if the difference is divisible by 3, i.e.

4^(n+1) - 1 - (4^n - 1) is divisible by 3. So we have

4^(n+1) - 4^n
=4^n(4-1)
= 3*4^n

Hence is divisible by 3.

Really good. I liked the way you used induction to prove it. Do you think it's possible to prove it just by explaining that subtitue 1 from any multiplication of 4 will give a multiplication of 3 because it's the previous number. Thanks
90 degrees.
Do the interviewers ask mechanics and statistics questions.If they do, what topics does the interview usually cover?
Hi,
How would you approach the graphing problems like the one in question 7 in the OP?
(y22)2+(x22)2=2 (y^2-2)^2+(x^2-2)^2=2
Original post by Quantum Horizon1
Hi,
How would you approach the graphing problems like the one in question 7 in the OP?
(y22)2+(x22)2=2 (y^2-2)^2+(x^2-2)^2=2

Hint: what happens when you translate a graph?

Quick Reply

Latest