The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL GCSE MUSIC - 5th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know when the final exam year is for the current spec?
Reply 61
Original post by tmpearce99

I think is 2017 (current year 9 will be the last year) as the new music GCSE start teaching in 2016
Thanks! :smile:
Last one is 2017, first one was 2009 and the new syllabus will be taught in Sep. 2016 so they will have their exam in 2018, meaning the last exam in the current syllabus is 2017.

Why do you ask? Something to do with predictions? *leans in anxiously*
Reply 64
well it wouldve made sense if the spec ended in 2016 not 2017 because that would complete 1 "cycle" of pieces according to this
http://i.imgur.com/bRSNhbP.png

now im less certain of this becoming true
Original post by yuusan
well it wouldve made sense if the spec ended in 2016 not 2017 because that would complete 1 "cycle" of pieces according to this
http://i.imgur.com/bRSNhbP.png

now im less certain of this becoming true

Yeah just what I was thinking. Prepare for anything!
Reply 66
True, but the point is that the current year 9 are still doing the 2009 specification which means in 2017 that will have their exam and no predictions can be made for them for questions in section B.
Yes I was thinking with predictions in mind! :smile: It makes sense for them to continue the pattern and use all the set works in section B, but whether or not they follow it this year is what I'm thinking.
To be honest if I spent as much time revsing as I did trying to predict I would get some where!!!
on a serious note I find I struggle a lot with music. my performace was fine and overall I think I got 55/60 which I think is A*/A and my composition I think is about B but my theory is a U! there is three of us in the class that struggle but our teachers gave up on us!!
My plan is a bit risky but I am just gonna teach myself the four pieces that haven't come up yet!!
Section B is only like 12 marks out of 80... If you concentrate on those only and leave everything else, sorry, but you've failed already.

Do EVERYTHING. Use DanConways revision guide, I asked my teacher and she said it's sufficient for the whole course (i.e you don't need to look at anything else). - nice one Dan!

Good luck!!
Reply 70
Original post by chrisbpw
Section B is only like 12 marks out of 80... If you concentrate on those only and leave everything else, sorry, but you've failed already.

Do EVERYTHING. Use DanConways revision guide, I asked my teacher and she said it's sufficient for the whole course (i.e you don't need to look at anything else). - nice one Dan!

Good luck!!

tbh though, if you know stuff to write for B, as long as you listen carefully during the exams you can probably get the A. But I agree with you we need to do everything.
Having said that I'm personally going to take the risk of only revising the 4 that hasnt come up. My bet is that they will have at least one question in sec B from that list
Original post by yuusan
I'm personally going to take the risk of only revising the 4 that hasnt come up. My bet is that they will have at least one question in sec B from that list

yeah that's defo what I'm doing, hope the exam board don't know everyone is only doing just the 4 set works, otherwise the nasty f*ckers will stab us in the back eh? :P
Reply 72
yeah that's defo what I'm doing, hope the exam board don't know everyone is only doing just the 4 set works, otherwise the nasty f*ckers will stab us in the back eh? :P

hopefully they dont visit TSR

Well the exam paper would have been written in summer before we started year 10 so it is 2 years old now!
Reply 74
i got 60/60 in both composition and performance but i am so afraid that my teacher is just too nice with her marking and that it will go down :frown:

as for the exam i usually averaged high As in mocks without much revision. i don't really think music is something that you revise for too much. i only learned tonality/metre/year/rhythm/texture/melody of each piece but a lot of this information is useless if it's not for section B.
I'm trying to find past paper questions for Section A with the extracts to play cause I got like an E or something in my mock yet full marks for the essay question and i really want to do well, any tips for Section A? or revision material for listening questions?? pleaseeee help
Reply 76
Original post by tmpearce99

Pretty sure it's next year
Reply 77
Original post by alex_j23
I'm trying to find past paper questions for Section A with the extracts to play cause I got like an E or something in my mock yet full marks for the essay question and i really want to do well, any tips for Section A? or revision material for listening questions?? pleaseeee help

The first post on this thread is SO helpful! If you click on paper A,B or C, it takes you to a dropbox with An exam paper, markscheme and all of the audio files! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2614680
Original post by alldaydreaming
Does anyone have any predictions for the essay question?

The only set works that haven't come up yet for the essay question are;
The Skye Waulking Song
All Blues
And the Glory of the Lord
Peripetie

I reaaalllllyyy hope it isn't Peripetie! I'm pinning my hopes of All Blues. Hope this helps!
i have score with annotations and highlighting
reply or message me if you want them, they're quite helpful

blue = instrumentation + texture
yellow = tonality
orange = harmony
green = rhythm
pink = melody

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending