The Student Room Group

Best PC for me?

I'm currently using a laptop on which the battery lasts around 4 hours. It gets quite frustrating when I need to use it for some work but I need to charge it so I'm looking to buy a PC which I would use while the laptop is on charge but not always.

Can anyone find me a PC with a price of up to £250 (£300 at the very most) which can comfortably handle me opening a few tabs on Google Chrome as well as a couple Word documents and MAYBE 1 Powerpoint (I realise I may be pushing it) as well as the odd live streaming of football/movies

The reason I've given quite a low price tag is that I won't be using it as much as the laptop, or at least I don't plan on doing so.

Thank you for any advice given :biggrin:
Original post by Blyts-_
I'm currently using a laptop on which the battery lasts around 4 hours. It gets quite frustrating when I need to use it for some work but I need to charge it so I'm looking to buy a PC which I would use while the laptop is on charge but not always.

Can anyone find me a PC with a price of up to £250 (£300 at the very most) which can comfortably handle me opening a few tabs on Google Chrome as well as a couple Word documents and MAYBE 1 Powerpoint (I realise I may be pushing it) as well as the odd live streaming of football/movies

The reason I've given quite a low price tag is that I won't be using it as much as the laptop, or at least I don't plan on doing so.

By PC do you mean desktop?
You're not going to be able to get much of a desktop for £300 sorry
Reply 3
Reply 4
How long does the battery on a 13" 128gb MacBook Air last?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
for that price I'd say look at zoostorm pcs as they are cheap but I've never owned a pc that cheap before so not sure how good it'll be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blyts-_

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you grab one of the older Haswell models or one of the new Broadwell ones, you can get over 12 hours of battery life out of them

http://www.ebuyer.com/643321-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7260-8002

Solid processor and should be enough RAM for your needs, if not buy an 8GB kit- installing it on desktops is childsplay.

Original post by Blyts-_

Posted from TSR Mobile

Battery is estimated at 10 hours of basic use (web browsing, music playback etc) on the 11", 12 hours on the 13", assuming it's an i5 processor or knock off a few hours for an i7. Apple are well known for being pretty accurate on their estimates and while the reviews of the 2015 models are only just surfacing, given that they're even more power efficient than the 2014 models it's a safe bet they'll be able to hit these sorts of double digit battery lives again.
Original post by Blyts-_

Unless I'm missing something...why can't you use the existing laptop while it's charging? :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by jameswhughes
Unless I'm missing something...why can't you use the existing laptop while it's charging? :confused:

Because it will ruin the battery completely. It would then only be able to function while it's in charge and if the wire comes out, the laptop would turn off.. this is what happened to my previous laptop
Original post by Blyts-_
Because it will ruin the battery completely. It would then only be able to function while it's in charge and if the wire comes out, the laptop would turn off.. this is what happened to my previous laptop

Have a look at Zoostorm over at ebuyer?

Does the £250 include the cost of the monitor and peripherals?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blyts-_

If you use the laptop while it's plugged in, then thats independent of whether the battery is charging or not. In fact, the more you can use the computer plugged in the better, as you won't be consuming the charge cycles of the battery that way.
Leaving a laptop plugged in apparently degrades the battery, but very slowly. The cells in the battery should last longer when it's kept at about 40%. Saying that, I have my laptop plugged in all the time. It's more hassle than it's worth having to keep track of the battery life and then unplugging it etc. Besides, even if you did only use it unplugged, the battery would degrade over time and need replacing eventually anyway. I'd rather just replace the battery (~£15) a few months earlier. I definitely wouldn't buy a new PC because of it.

But if you still want to buy one, here's an alternative to Gofre's suggestion.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending