The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of uni? Am I being stupid?

Right so I was put in the quietest halls at my uni, and me and my flat mates really don't on. Like some are okay, some I hate, but that's it. We never speak and they all have pretty demanding courses so have friends in their classes. I'm in my first year and I've been out probably less than 5 times, and I've only been out with people I already knew that were already at the uni in other years. Next year I am living with an older girl from my corridor because we kinda get on, but she is in her third year next year so will be leaving - and then in my third year I'll be on my own again.

Also, my course is mainly individual study so I have literally no uni hours, and I have no friends on my course at all. I feel like everyone sits in little groups and then I'm just sat there alone. Im actually crapping myself for any group projects because I am screwed - I am actually considering picking my next year modules on which ones dont have any group work. The people on my course all go out with their flat mates so they dont need course friends, especially when we have an hour a day at most.

On top of that I feel like I've really ****ed up my course. I scraped 50% in the first semester but I failed a few exams which I'll have to resit and I'm not doing much better this semester. I know its my own fault because I haven't done the work, but I don't know if its because I hate work, or my course lol... I know I'm going to **** up this semester 2 because it's nearly near the end and I'm struggling.. I know first year doesn't count and all that but I really wanted to do well to apply for internships and stuff. I also kinda know what I want to do in life, and I didn't pick that as my degree, I can do it as a PG masters, so I can do that. But I feel like I should have done it as an UG course - don't think I would have got onto it anyway though.

I feel like I really want to drop out and restart uni in a different halls, different course, different people. I feel like my first year has been completely wasted and on top of that I've ****ed it up and made no friends. I know restarting uni is a stupid thing, I dont know if people do it... It just feels **** seeing how much fun all my friends are having at uni and I barely leave my uni room, and its not even like im excelling and studying.. I'm literally just watching tv and doing **** all. I'm just really pissed off at my self and want to start over!

Has anyone been through anything similar? Or dropped out for similar reasons? Did it get better? Did you regret it? I just wanted to know people thoughts about it!

Am i being a massive overdramatic baby?! ......
Reply 1
Original post by Becky333
Right so I was put in the quietest halls at my uni, and me and my flat mates really don't on. Like some are okay, some I hate, but that's it. We never speak and they all have pretty demanding courses so have friends in their classes. I'm in my first year and I've been out probably less than 5 times, and I've only been out with people I already knew that were already at the uni in other years. Next year I am living with an older girl from my corridor because we kinda get on, but she is in her third year next year so will be leaving - and then in my third year I'll be on my own again.

Also, my course is mainly individual study so I have literally no uni hours, and I have no friends on my course at all. I feel like everyone sits in little groups and then I'm just sat there alone. Im actually crapping myself for any group projects because I am screwed - I am actually considering picking my next year modules on which ones dont have any group work. The people on my course all go out with their flat mates so they dont need course friends, especially when we have an hour a day at most.

On top of that I feel like I've really ****ed up my course. I scraped 50% in the first semester but I failed a few exams which I'll have to resit and I'm not doing much better this semester. I know its my own fault because I haven't done the work, but I don't know if its because I hate work, or my course lol... I know I'm going to **** up this semester 2 because it's nearly near the end and I'm struggling.. I know first year doesn't count and all that but I really wanted to do well to apply for internships and stuff. I also kinda know what I want to do in life, and I didn't pick that as my degree, I can do it as a PG masters, so I can do that. But I feel like I should have done it as an UG course - don't think I would have got onto it anyway though.

I feel like I really want to drop out and restart uni in a different halls, different course, different people. I feel like my first year has been completely wasted and on top of that I've ****ed it up and made no friends. I know restarting uni is a stupid thing, I dont know if people do it... It just feels **** seeing how much fun all my friends are having at uni and I barely leave my uni room, and its not even like im excelling and studying.. I'm literally just watching tv and doing **** all. I'm just really pissed off at my self and want to start over!

Has anyone been through anything similar? Or dropped out for similar reasons? Did it get better? Did you regret it? I just wanted to know people thoughts about it!

HI Becky333,

You arent being an overdramatic baby at all! :smile:

I am in the same position and I have 1 friend on my course thats it. 2 friends in my flat and one at first aid training. So having few friends is something I am all too familiar with. Also, I am basically considering leaving uni because I feel that i have messed it all up too. OK i have no exams in 1st semester and only one this semester but I find it too boring and although it is interesting I just can`t focus.

SO what you have said is something that many students go through and I dont know what course you are on so i can`t say much about that but I can try and hekp as much as I can though :smile:

Any problems or further questions you want to ask just reply on here or personal message me :smile:
I personally don't think you should drop out of Uni just because of your flat mates/lack of friends. Might be cliché but join a society if you're struggling for friends, would be a safe bet.

I'd only recommend dropping out if you're struggling to complete the 3 years/want to do something else and have a clear 100% plan to do so.
Original post by Becky333

Thats a shame you have had a bad experience for your first year at university. Are you finding the course hard or have no interest - as you meationed that you are finding
It hard and no doing no well.
Did you not join in for any socities that you are interested in ? It is a good way to make friends as its not the same people on your course :smile:
If you decided to change uni / course - make sure you know the reasons for doing It as it can sometimes repeat itself especailly if you end up in a similar situation as you are in now. Hope you will find a option and it will work out for you
Reply 4
Hey, I'm actually going through the same thing omg. But I didn't move, I stayed home to avoid what your going through lool... but yeah I am not enjoying my course(although it is a course I want a career in) either which has definitely shown through the work I have produced so far, I am behind on so many modules because I'm finding it hard to balance all 4 modules because I've lost interest in the course, I feel like I have to force myself to go to uni :bricks:. I don't think your being overdramatic at all. But I am planning on taking a gap year after this year has finished to figure out what to do with myself and travel, work and get some experience in my industry because I honestly felt like I rushed into Uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would say transfer onto another course if you have a clear idea of what else you would want to do. You're paying for it so might as well enjoy the course you're doing and for it to be useful for your future career. Otherwise it's a waste of £9,000 pa tuition fees!
Uni should be the best time of your life - you should be making the most of it and enjoying it, not spending your time alone at home, watching TV and regretting your decisions. Talk to your tutors. Change courses if you can and know what alternatives might suit you better. Find some new flatmates (place an advert), join a society, knuckle down and study so you don't feel so guilty about your work, and start enjoying yourself!! Uni days were among my best, and I sometimes mourn that they're long over (I graduated in 2005)! When you look back at your time in uni it should be with fond memories of experiences you had with friends you've made for life. But making friends isn't easy and you need to push yourself to use your initiative, put it out there and find people. Everyone could do with another friend. Good luck!! X
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Switch uni's don't make the mistake I did. My first year was crap cos my flatmates hardly went out n I had to make course friends which wasnt all that gd.

I'm now in second year hate everything lol. I'm transferring uni's, resitting year 2 n living in halls with fresher's. Can't wait. The uni give us our flat, floor and room numbers so I've found most of my flatmates already.

I also got unconditional offer so I don't even have to pass anything I've been working on portfolio, I'll sit exams then leave and won't miss most of it.

Luckily I managed to get really good grades in first year and kinda buckle down so I had that to rely on when reapplying. I'd deffo change courses if your not enjoying it.

My situation is slightly different but yeah go for it.

Transfer uni if you can. You'll need to do UCAS etc again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Take it from a lecturer - speak to your tutors! It is such a shame you're not enjoying uni. As someone above said, it should be the best time of your life. I'm sure if you speak to your personal tutor, they will have a lot of good advice for you. You're not the first person to go through this and you won't be the last. Take positive steps to address the situation - you won't regret it!
Reply 8
i dropped out of uni, i didnt get into halls, i was doing academically okay i guess in my exams and stuff but i hated the course, i got depressed, didnt really have any friends apart from the housemates which i MADE friends with online and then we found a house together. the house was horrible, the people in my semester were quite stuck up and i wouldnt say i was friends with them, they were just peers.

i wouldnt say dropping out is the best thing, i mean its worked out okay for me, i mean ive now got two jobs, i've missed the ucas deadline for september 2016 but i may still apply but then itll be a late applicant. you may as well finish this year as its almost over isnt it. then youll still recieve credits which you can carry on at uni. i dont really know how that works. but yeah, i also did join societies but it didnt really like help me make more friends so i quit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending