The Student Room Group

Pure Physics or Physics and Mathematics before a PHD?

Hi guys, I have an offer for Warwick for the 4 year Physics course. I was thinking about asking for a transfer to Physics and Mathematics and I wondered which was best if you plan to continue towards a PHD. I like mathematics, but I also really enyoy the experimental part of Physics, so I am a little bit confused as to which course would be best for me.

Cheers! Jonatan.
Reply 1
It depends on what particular aspects of Physics you might enjoy when you get there - if the theoretical aspects excite you then posisbly physics and maths, whereas if for your PhD you're considering more epxerimental stuff, then the straight physics would be ideal.

Personally, i would stick with the Physics course as this is fine for a PhD later (also gives you more scope if you later decide to go into city etc) and if you then decide to switch to Physics and Maths within your first term I'm sure you'll be able to.
Reply 2
It generally doesn't matter that much. Maths and Physics is equally suitable prep for PhD study in Physics whether you are interested in doing research that is theoretically or experimentally biased.
Reply 3
shiny
It generally doesn't matter that much. Maths and Physics is equally suitable prep for PhD study in Physics whether you are interested in doing research that is theoretically or experimentally biased.

Thanks guys. I think I will try to transfer to Maths and Physics as I like the maths and would hate to miss out on it. I dont think I will miss teh experimental part that much as I dislike doing the writeups for it ( I never find my data) and I am likely to do some of it on my own :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending