The Student Room Group

Who here is a VEGETARIAN and why? :D :D

Scroll to see replies

Ah ok, thanks for the interesting read :smile: I guess I became a vegetarian instead of a vegan straight away was because I knew more about veggie friendly rather then vegan friendly food...
No surprises here

only ever eaten meat accidentally

don't really see the stuff as edible

I doubt I still have the enzymes
I am a vegetarian as I cannot justify something being killed for 5 seconds in my mouth. It doesn't seem very fair and just.
cuz it's cool with a K
---
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm a vegetarian because I was raised a vegetarian and I was allowed to make a decision whether I wanted to eat meat or not and I declined. Why? Because no animal should be born to be slaughtered. I disagree with intensive farming because it's immoral. Animals have a nervous system, so they can feel pain and emotions. Some people say animals have no morals, but I've seen a mother cow fight to the death to save her calf being taken away from her.

Okay, yeah, we have canines. Yes, these animals are going to die anyway. But we can make a moral decision to save animals pain. Saying this, I have no issue with people who hunt to survive because that's what the human race was born to do. But intensive farming? Mass breeding animals that will never see the sky? Pumping them full of unnecessary antibiotics? Not ethical. Not right.

Being a vegetarian is also healthier. We reduce global warming and our carbon footprint by something like 56% than those who eat meat.

I don't have a problem with other people eating meat, of course. I just wish people were more aware of the pain and global impacts of eating meat, is all.
I'm a vegetarian because I just feel uncomfortable eating flesh, but I don't think being vegetarian on the grounds that 'no animal should die for food' is a pretty feeble argument. If it's because of the conditions that some animals are kept in before they're slaughtered for food are cruel, which undoubtedly they are, then you can easily buy meat from trusted ethical sources and help the 'right' market grow rather than avoiding it altogether. And if it's because you think the concept of eating animals is wrong down to its bare bones (lols) then think about the HUGE economical consequences that would arise from no meat eaters, as well as the repercussions on people's health (for a lot of people, their meat is one of the healthiest things in their diet).

Animals eating animals is just a part of life. Avoid it if you like, but wanting to stop it altogether is like trying to promote everyone living in a house made of something other than bricks.
I am a vegetarian (since June 2014), because I think that killing animals for food when I can lead a perfectly healthy life without doing so, is wrong.
Original post by Lemon Haze
1. The animal you 'saved' was just eaten by someone else anyway...

2. Quorn?

1) But you haven't contributed that much money to the meat industry, which means that over the course of probably quite a few meat-free meals, you have failed to pay them to kill an animal for you. Try to take your logic a few steps further, rather than stopping when it seems to produce a conclusion that suits your purposes.

2) Yeah, possibly.
I used to be, it was kinda for a challenge, me and my friend had a race and I lost and whoever did lose had to become a vegetarian for a full month...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by awkwardshortguy
1. By not eating meat I do not contribute to the demand therefore I do not support the supply therefore in theory I will 'save' the lives of animals across the course of my lifetime.

One thing I've always wondered RE: saving animals. Presumably you would then want everyone else to go vegetarian to save these animals. But the animals we eat (cows, sheep, pigs etc.) are reared solely for the purpose of eating: if everyone goes vegetarian then you've got an extraordinarily large number of animals that no longer serve a purpose to the farmer rearing them - they're inevitably going to be culled. It seems to me that by going vegetarian for the sake of saving animals you're contributing for the need for a mass cull, since current numbers are not sustainable with no-one eating them: surely that's worse than killing 1 or 2 for food?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
One thing I've always wondered RE: saving animals. Presumably you would then want everyone else to go vegetarian to save these animals. But the animals we eat (cows, sheep, pigs etc.) are reared solely for the purpose of eating: if everyone goes vegetarian then you've got an extraordinarily large number of animals that no longer serve a purpose to the farmer rearing them - they're inevitably going to be culled. It seems to me that by going vegetarian for the sake of saving animals you're contributing for the need for a mass cull, since current numbers are not sustainable with no-one eating them: surely that's worse than killing 1 or 2 for food?

But that would only happen if everyone suddenly went vegetarian overnight, which is never going to happen.

1 or 2?
They are all currently killed for food (except perhaps the ones that are kept for breeding, to produce more animals to be used for food). In your hypothetical situation, nothing will have changed, except that there will be no FUTURE animals killed for food.

Also, as other people have mentioned, that would only happen if everyone suddenly became vegetarian over night. That isn't going to happen; if it ever does, it's going to be a slow and gradual process. This means that the number of animals being reared for the food industry will gradually lessen to match the demand.
And yes, sanctuaries. If everyone is vegetarian/vegan (in this hypothetical situation of yours), most of them will care a lot about what happens to the animals, and so many should be able to be cared for until their natural death.
Even if everybody became vegetarian overnight, and all animals in farms for food were instantly slaughtered, that would STILL be infinitely better than the current situation!
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Me since Feb 1st because I'd rather go without meat so an animal doesn't have to die :smile:
However at an applicant day to a university I will not specify I am convinced their 'vegetable enchiladas (v)' contained ground beef which I wasn't very impressed by and I stopped after one bite.

Whether you decide to eat meat or not animals are still slaughtered
I'm not a vegetarian and probably never will be. People say that they're vegetarian because they don't want animals to be slaughtered for us to eat, that's life. 7 billion mouths to feed and you want to stop animal slaughtering? First thing is that if most people in the world went vegetarian, businesses would collapse, the food used to feed the animals is then eaten by us so what do they have to eat? Unneccesary large amount of land used to grow plants which take time and money. The use of chemicals on the plants for us to eat could be harmful for the enviroment. Either way there is no solution for it, meat-eating is the way we go for thousands of years and without it we may not have made it to where we are now.

I respect vegetarians and etc but I wouldn't even consider it, I find it a bit extreme.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WillChapman
Whether you decide to eat meat or not animals are still slaughtered

That won't stop me doing my part.

If society does move in the direction of vegetarianism the transition will not be instantaneous. There will be a gradual decrease in demand and consequently supply or so I imagine though I am no economist.
I could never go vegetarian. I wouldn't be able to find enough different foods to replace the meat I eat, so all I would be doing is limiting my diet even further than it already is, which I need to avoid doing.
Original post by RFowler
I could never go vegetarian. I wouldn't be able to find enough different foods to replace the meat I eat, so all I would be doing is limiting my diet even further than it already is, which I need to avoid doing.

There is enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest