The Student Room Group

Psychology for A level?

Hi all,The four provisional A level choices I picked were History, Maths, Economics, and Psychology, but after reading in to the Psychology A level, I am not sure whether or not I should take it.If I was to choose another subject in the place of Psychology, my options would be French, which I am quite good at, or one of the Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), which I am not too keen on taking. However, I, like most people, picked Psychology for the curiosity side of it to see what it was about, but I don't want to choose a subject that wouldn't get me anywhere, or would just take the place of another.Does anyone have any advice on whether I should take it or not? Or another A level I should choose instead?Thanks
Original post by shcfc99
Hi all,The four provisional A level choices I picked were History, Maths, Economics, and Psychology, but after reading in to the Psychology A level, I am not sure whether or not I should take it.If I was to choose another subject in the place of Psychology, my options would be French, which I am quite good at, or one of the Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), which I am not too keen on taking. However, I, like most people, picked Psychology for the curiosity side of it to see what it was about, but I don't want to choose a subject that wouldn't get me anywhere, or would just take the place of another.Does anyone have any advice on whether I should take it or not? Or another A level I should choose instead?Thanks

Its not true that psychology a level doesn't get you anywhere (or thats widely exagerated). Its good for getting a background of psychology, however the examinations rely on memorization (so you don't learn many generalisable skills with it), so it may not be as useful as, say, maths a level. This is also why its not listed as a required or preffered a level for any degree (even psychology degrees don't require it).

Its worth doing a bit of research on what it is about before you embark on the a level (i'd recommend going through 1 or 2 of these to see if your interested in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbrl6WoIyo&list=PLE910923AE3C849B3). Lots of people regret taking it because they didn't research the topic.

It's a fine a level as a fourth subject (universities wouldn't penalise you for taking it). It also mixes well with maths and economics (behavioural economics is quite a big field- maybe it isn't on a level economics though).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending