The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

What is it like at Brunel?

Hi I've already been to a quiet, boring, unfriendly university and I'm looking to go to Brunel as it seemed a bit livelier when I visited last year.

What is it really like there? Are people friendly? Is it lively? If I live on campus, would I have that 'uni experience' that everyone keeps talking about? As I never got that at my last university...

Also what's the best accommodation to be in? I'm looking for ensuite (can I apply for all ensuite?) and something lively and fun!

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone?
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
I'm in my first year at Brunel so hope I can help.

Original post by soanonymous

What is it really like there? Are people friendly? Is it lively? If I live on campus, would I have that 'uni experience' that everyone keeps talking about?

The people in Brunel are all friendly and decent, a lot of international students though, there's a lot of Russian students who tend to stick together but you'll get along with most people.

Brunel is pretty quiet tbh, on the weekends it's literally a ghost town, everyone seems to disappear. The campus bar is okay, usually packed on Tuesdays for karaoke night which is always fun but other than that it's quite boring. The campus club Academy is really small, and is usually dead empty except on Fridays when they have the global events.

In all honesty, I lived on campus for the first term and didn't really enjoy it, I didn't have a bad uni experience but definitely not as great as my friends from other unis. Uxbridge is quite convenient and has a decent shopping centre with loads of places to shop and eat. The nightclub in Uxbridge isn't all that great but on student nights can be quite good.

Also what's the best accommodation to be in? I'm looking for ensuite (can I apply for all ensuite?) and something lively and fun!

When I applied for accommodation you didn't get to choose what block you were in, only if you wanted en-suite, studio, or shared bathroom/shower. This isn't really an issue because it's a single site campus and no matter where you are you're never going to further than a 10 minute walk from your lectures etc. The accommodation is quite nice, spacious and not too expensive (currently £135/week for en-suite). Flat parties are always happening and usually better than going Academy.
Original post by Hercules5
I'm in my first year at Brunel so hope I can help.

The people in Brunel are all friendly and decent, a lot of international students though, there's a lot of Russian students who tend to stick together but you'll get along with most people.

Brunel is pretty quiet tbh, on the weekends it's literally a ghost town, everyone seems to disappear. The campus bar is okay, usually packed on Tuesdays for karaoke night which is always fun but other than that it's quite boring. The campus club Academy is really small, and is usually dead empty except on Fridays when they have the global events.

In all honesty, I lived on campus for the first term and didn't really enjoy it, I didn't have a bad uni experience but definitely not as great as my friends from other unis. Uxbridge is quite convenient and has a decent shopping centre with loads of places to shop and eat. The nightclub in Uxbridge isn't all that great but on student nights can be quite good.

When I applied for accommodation you didn't get to choose what block you were in, only if you wanted en-suite, studio, or shared bathroom/shower. This isn't really an issue because it's a single site campus and no matter where you are you're never going to further than a 10 minute walk from your lectures etc. The accommodation is quite nice, spacious and not too expensive (currently £135/week for en-suite). Flat parties are always happening and usually better than going Academy.

That's slightly worrying :frown:
That's slightly worrying :frown:

The campus itself is boring yeah, but there's loads of coach parties to central London and a lot of people go central during the weekdays to the big clubs like Fabric and XOYO for their student nights. If you're looking for a uni with a really good night life Brunel isn't the worst but not the best either tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending