The Student Room Group

People who "don't watch cartoons"

Scroll to see replies

It makes me laugh when people are like: 'why do you watch anime? Anime is for kids.'

And I reply with a list of the anime I like at the moment:

Attack on Titan
Fairy Tail
Sword Art Online
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kill la Kill
Claymore
Akame ga Kill
Trinity Seven
Black Butler
Hellsing Ultimate
Death Note

I'm pretty sure they aren't aimed at children...
Original post by BitWindy
What sort of comedy does a patrician such as yourself enjoy?

Oh all sorts of different things, mainly satire.
Reply 42
Original post by cole-slaw
I'm sorry, you what?

South Park is quite funny although obviously extremely immature. Its clearly aimed at early teenagers. Nothing wrong with that, its an easy audience to amuse, plenty of swear words and celebrity culture digs.

I'm not sure exactly who the simpsons and family guy is aimed at, I can only assume people with brain damage. The jokes are so ****ing stupid and predictable. Its very childish.

i'd like to see you write and animate episodes as great as the ones that featured in earlier seasons of The Simpsons. They were comedy genius. Ahead of their time. The Simpsons is one of the best shows of all time. Sure newer episodes suck, but without the Simpsons TV would be very different.

I also would not call South Park immature. I'm sure Trey Parker and Matt Stone would probably not be happy with their show described as that. You just don't get the show and obviously don't watch it. It has tackled topics such as anti-semitism, racism, the 'n' word, sexism, the sexualisation of children, immigration, pedophilia, censorship, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
i'd like to see you write and animate episodes as great as the ones that featured in earlier seasons of The Simpsons. They were comedy genius. Ahead of their time. The Simpsons is one of the best shows of all time. Sure newer episodes suck, but without the Simpsons TV would be very different.

I also would not call South Park immature. I'm sure Trey Parker and Matt Stone would probably not be happy with their show described as that. You just don't get the show and obviously don't watch it. It has tackled topics such as anti-semitism, racism, the 'n' word, sexism, the sexualisation of children, immigration, pedophilia, censorship, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh come on, get real, even Parker and Stone admit South Park is rampantly immature. The two of them have incredibly immature senses of humour. It doesn't stop it being funny though.

The Simpsons is just boring, even the early episodes are very tiresome and predictable.
Original post by datpiff
I've come across these types of people a bit lately. In conversation you say you watched ***insert whatever cartoon/anime here*** and they reply "i don't watch cartoons". The types of people who think that cartoons are for kids.
Fair enough you know, people are into different things, but a life without cartoons must be really sad. Plus the most interesting and thought provoking things i've ever seen are animated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my mind a life without books must be really sad, and yet hardly anyone reads.

Horses for courses.
Reply 45
Original post by Tootles
In my mind a life without books must be really sad, and yet hardly anyone reads.

Horses for courses.

i read. I just read more non-fiction books and academic articles than fiction these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Oh come on, get real, even Parker and Stone admit South Park is rampantly immature. The two of them have incredibly immature senses of humour. It doesn't stop it being funny though.

The Simpsons is just boring, even the early episodes are very tiresome and predictable.

They addressed this issue in The episode where Cartman wants to shut down family guy:

Eric Cartman: "Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go, "Hey Cartman, you must like Family Guy, right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of Family Guy, Cartman." I am NOTHING like Family Guy! When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a POINT! Not just one interchangeable joke after another!"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TwoLimes
I'm only a couple of episodes in but I'm definitely intrigued by the 'spider legs of darth maul'...

It's horrible... and it's canon now :'(
I tried to watch Adventure Time once. It sucked.
Bring back Ren & Stimpy.
Original post by noobynoo
I tried to watch Adventure Time once. It sucked.
Bring back Ren & Stimpy.

That's your opioion. But I quite like adventure time, you do kind have to watch a few episodes of it though. Gets really good after season 4/5
Everyone has different tastes and some people just don't like cartoons- there's nothing wrong with that.

I personally can't stand most anime or cartoons made for kids (e.g. My little pony) but I'll happily laugh at an episode of the Simpsons etc.
I am one of these people. All these animated movies people love, I just find them retarded. Like shrek has got to be one of the worst movies I was ever made to watch. And Simpsons is just a load of total bs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FayeLDN
Ignore them, most of them havent even given it a try. My top favourites are: attack on titan, fairy tail and Bleach!

I agree with you
just haven't watched bleach yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah there are some great Cartoons out there that can be enjoyed by literally everyone. Adventure time, Regular show, Gravity falls and then stuff like Archer(Amazing), American dad, Family guy etc.
Original post by Sneferu
That's your opioion. But I quite like adventure time, you do kind have to watch a few episodes of it though. Gets really good after season 4/5

Anything that you have to wait 4 seasons for it to get good.... is not good.
I'll watch Family Guy and American Dad when there's nout else on the TV but I can't say I've ever gone out of my way as an adult to watch animated series/anime etc. I have watched a small amount of anime and it just didn't engage me at all. I don't like the animation style and it feels as though it's aimed at a very different demographic (I don't know what you'd call them... otaku type people?).

EDIT: Actually I sat and watched various clips of Adventure Time on youtube, but mostly just clips with Lemongrab. It's surreal enough that I enough it.
Original post by datpiff
They addressed this issue in The episode where Cartman wants to shut down family guy:

Eric Cartman: "Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go, "Hey Cartman, you must like Family Guy, right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of Family Guy, Cartman." I am NOTHING like Family Guy! When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a POINT! Not just one interchangeable joke after another!"

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, hence the reason south park is quite good, whereas family guy is ****ing terrible.

both are squarely aimed at teenagers, watched by teenagers, and appreciated by teenagers. When I was 14, I used to love south park, because I was in the age bracket it was designed for.

I don't see how anyone can deny that.
Original post by noobynoo
Anything that you have to wait 4 seasons for it to get good.... is not good.

No, it's good all the way through. But it getsamazing after seasons 4 and 5. Kinda like Breaking Bad, I love the final season and the season finale :'(
Original post by Sneferu
No, it's good all the way through. But it getsamazing after seasons 4 and 5. Kinda like Breaking Bad, I love the final season and the season finale :'(

Oh. Well if it's like breaking bad. Then it must be terrible.

That was so sucky I couldn't get passed the first episode. I don't wanna watch middle aged men in their underpants on my TV screen thankyou.

Everyone said Breaking Bad gets better you just got to get through the first few episodes.

That is not a good sign.
Well that was uncomfortably like eavesdropping on a 12 year old boy's daydream.

The sex scenes in the later episodes probably reaffirm that :teehee:

I've just realised that the dialogue is slightly different to the version I've got. Less, swearing, etc. Kinda sucks.

Quick Reply

Latest