The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Best halls of residence?

In terms of friendliness, value for money, liveliness etc.?
Original post by franzorb
In terms of friendliness, value for money, liveliness etc.?

ok so this is a very subjective question
depends on your requirements so if I could have more info would be great (I'm a student ambassador at the Uni who does a lot of accommodation tours so I have pretty good knowledge of the topic)
Catered or self-catered? ensuite or standard? large halls or small halls? closer to city centre or campus? prefer nights out or nights in? price range? (i understand that is a sensitive one but there are some very expensive halls - typically the new ones!)
Personally, I live in Monte (Wessex Lane) halls and find that I am always meeting new people and there is always someone to go out with; its one of the largest halls in Europe and is alright for the money I pay (I pay 125 per week for ensuite but I believe this is going up to 130 per week for 15/16 cohort)
However I know people who live in Glen Eyre who love the walk to uni and the outdoor space available, and also Highfield who enjoy catered and the proximity to avenue campus for humanities
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Parkleton
ok so this is a very subjective question
depends on your requirements so if I could have more info would be great (I'm a student ambassador at the Uni who does a lot of accommodation tours so I have pretty good knowledge of the topic)
Catered or self-catered? ensuite or standard? large halls or small halls? closer to city centre or campus? prefer nights out or nights in? price range? (i understand that is a sensitive one but there are some very expensive halls - typically the new ones!)
Personally, I live in Monte (Wessex Lane) halls and find that I am always meeting new people and there is always someone to go out with; its one of the largest halls in Europe and is alright for the money I pay (I pay 125 per week for ensuite but I believe this is going up to 130 per week for 15/16 cohort)
However I know people who live in Glen Eyre who love the walk to uni and the outdoor space available, and also Highfield who enjoy catered and the proximity to avenue campus for humanities

Hi, if you don't mind I would also like to ask you a few questions regarding accomadation.
Firstly, I want to know what accomadation type allows you to have your own washroom but shared kitchens and part catered. I checked out the site but the en-suite categories did not elaborate on the washroom things.
I am planning to study mechanical engineering at Southampton, so do you have any knowledge as to which halls might be closest to the mechanical engineering department or maybe a small walk away.
Also, which halls would you say have the largest number of internationals as in any hall that seems to be preferred by international students?
Thabk you in advance for helping with my queries.
Original post by Taimoor821
Hi, if you don't mind I would also like to ask you a few questions regarding accomadation.
Firstly, I want to know what accomadation type allows you to have your own washroom but shared kitchens and part catered. I checked out the site but the en-suite categories did not elaborate on the washroom things.
I am planning to study mechanical engineering at Southampton, so do you have any knowledge as to which halls might be closest to the mechanical engineering department or maybe a small walk away.
Also, which halls would you say have the largest number of internationals as in any hall that seems to be preferred by international students?
Thabk you in advance for helping with my queries.

Hi, ensuite has what youd expect a small version of a bathroom in; shower, toilet and sink so those are the rooms youre referring to
Engineering students have lectures on Boldrewood and main campus, so Glen Eyre is the closest but if you want part catered the only choices are Wessex lane and Highfield, both of which are near to campus and offer ensuite.
All halls have loads of international students so id doesnt matter
Reply 4
Hi. Can anyone help? Looking for an ensuite, self catered room. Glen Eyre I believe is closest to Highfield campus and will be a choice but please can anyone advise on the next three or four closest halls. Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending