The Student Room Group

Hmm im applying to nursing but..

well im applying to nursing (ive sent off my ucas form) with the thought of perhaps after graduating doing a medicine degree but wondered if it would better perhaps to do extra A levels e.g. chemistry in college (i dropped chemistry) rather than go do nursing and apply for medicine as an undergraduate in a couple of years time? Im a tad worried though as my parents expect me to be going straight to uni and if i decide to work for a year or too as well as college i will disappoint them... :eek: help anyone? please? x
Reply 1
your in exactly the same boat i was in last yr! i applied to do nursing cos i really wasnt sure wot i wanted to do and nursing is a good career, and cos my parets expected me to go to uni straight after finishing school. i hav a twin sister who is super smart and is doing medicine at newcastle, so u can imagine the pressure on me! well anyway i dropped out of nursing cos i knew it wasnt wot i wanted to do, and now i'm taking a yr out and applying for psychology - which i've always wanted to do! so go with ur instinct, if u dnt hav a passion for nursing and ur only doing it so u can do medicine after then u'l hav a difficult 3 yrs training to b a nurse - its difficult training and if ur really not passionate about doing it its even harder! x
Reply 2
Your parents 'expect' you, or you 'expect' you?

If you want to do medicine, then do medicine. Nursing is screwed enough without people training who have no plan to actually go in to nursing.

My advice would be to sort it out now. You only get funding for one degree, so if you do nursing and then medicine then you will have to fund medicine yourself. From what I've heard, the DH bursary will not be available for GEP students for much longer - with the potential for one year (final year) of funding. There is also a big grey cloud over whether second degree medics will get student loans past next year. As it stands the only degrees for which you are eligable for a second student loan are ones leading to a vocational qualification (med, dent, vet med, architecture etc). Could you afford to do medicine after a first degree?

Also - there is more competition post-graduate, for both GEP courses and for 5 and 6 year medicine.

Latest

Trending

Trending