The Student Room Group

Chemistry or chemical engineering?

I am doing my AS and will apply to UCAS later this year. I am uncertain my choice at uni. Can friends on this forum who might have gone through / are going through a similar decision between these two streams please give your views on chemistry vs chemical engineering -

1) similarities and differences,
2) what factors to consider in deciding between one of the two,
3) within these two, are there courses available which will also allow me to study physics and / or maths
4) do both have equally difficult entry criteria at some of the Russell Group universities?

thank you for your views
Original post by Knotsandcrosses
I am doing my AS and will apply to UCAS later this year. I am uncertain my choice at uni. Can friends on this forum who might have gone through / are going through a similar decision between these two streams please give your views on chemistry vs chemical engineering -

3) within these two, are there courses available which will also allow me to study physics and / or maths
4) do both have equally difficult entry criteria at some of the Russell Group universities?

thank you for your views

I got offers for Chemical Engineering at top Russell Groups as you say.

1) Similarities - They both involve chemistry, you do lab work, both are equally demanding at uni.

Differences - Chem Eng is MOSTLY maths and physics, not much chemistry, Chemistry is less applied than Chemical Engineering

2) To decide - For Chemical Engineering: Is your maths and physics strong? if so, and you like chemistry, then Chemical Engineering is a good choice.

For Chemistry: You have a broad appreciation of chemistry and would like to study a wide range of topics, then Chemistry is a good choice.

3) That's an easy one, if you like lots of Physics and Maths, Chemical Engineering should be an easy choice for you, However as for Chemistry, i'm not sure exactly, but there's bound to be courses which have a big maths/physics element.

4) I'd say Chemical Engineering slighly edges it - E.g: at Imperial, Minimum is A*A*A, whereas Chemistry there is AAA, though at other unis they are on par or just above.

That's my opinion, so research more so you can make an informed decision.
Original post by Knotsandcrosses

thank you for your views

The key difference is that chemistry is a pure science degree, whereas chemical engineering is a professional degree that is the first step to becoming an engineer.

There's a lot of information on the internet about chemical engineering if you want to look it up.

Ultimately chemical engineering does not have a large amount of chemistry in it. It's engineering first and foremost, and I wouldn't advise anyone study engineering of any sort if they have no desire to become an engineer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending