The Student Room Group

Next Labour leader ? Next Conservative leader ?

If election lost :

Labour :

Diane Abbot

Conservative :

Michael Gove

UKIP :

Mark Reckless

Scroll to see replies

Boris Johnson v. David Milliband.

Clash of the titans.
Reply 2
If farage gets outed UKIP will die. He is the only reason UKIP are doing well.
Reply 3
Original post by democracyforum
If election lost :

Labour :

Diane Abbot

Conservative :

Michael Gove

UKIP :

Mark Reckless

Abbot neither has the support nor the ability to lead the party. The union vote would probably go to somebody like Andy Burnham.

Reckless is odds on to lose his seat by the bookies.

Labour..

Chucka Umuna vs Andy Burnham (only one of them has potential to get my vote, i'll let you guess which)

Tories..

Boris vs May (i'd vote for Gove or Hague myself but the likelyhood is that Gove will be Osbourne's chancellor if rumours are to be believed, though Boris will probably win for the run-off with May).

Lib Dem..

Farron vs Alexander (Alexander being elected would be noteworthy as it signals a prolonged move to the right and i'd consider a party led by him or Laws)

Ukip..

Unimportant, the combination of a change in Lib Dem leadership and Farage going will probably halve their support. Probably Carswell though.

Original post by Moosferatu
Boris Johnson v. David Milliband.

Clash of the titans.

David Miliband is not even an MP and if Labour are not in government by June, him not being leader will likely be the reason why in the history books.
hopefully DENNIS SKINNER.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
hopefully DENNIS SKINNER.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha !

He would have us all going to coal mines and typing our CV out on a typewriter and posting it to potential employers.
Haha !

He would have us all going to coal mines and typing our CV out on a typewriter and posting it to potential employers.

If nothing else, it should bring back the entertainment factor in British politics

http://youtu.be/5Hd3UkZ8Tl8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Labour - Andy Burnham

Conservative - Boris

Lib Dems - Farron
(edited 9 years ago)
Could be Boris and Farage in coalition.
Chuka Umuna ?
Theresa May for the Tories.

My money's been on Tristram Hunt to be the next Labour leader since Ed Miliband's election. Also in the running are Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper.

Tim Farron will probably lead the Lib Dems but I hope it's David Laws or Charles Kennedy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Tristram Hunt or Andy Burnham for Labour, I'd wager. Although there is a tendency for the favourites to end up losing to a compromise candidate...but then Ed Miliband was clearly a compromise candidate himself.

For the Tories, not sure, really, I can't see Osborne as he's too divisive and too associated with the government's economic policy. Boris could be enormously charismatic, so I can actually see him winning.

Lib Dems, Tim Farron. I'd like Kennedy to make a comeback, but I think he's lost the taste for it now.
Tories: Boris Johnson

Labour: Chuka Ummuna

Lib Dems: Depends who survives May 7th, probably Tim Farron.
Original post by gladders

Lib Dems, Tim Farron. I'd like Kennedy to make a comeback, but I think he's lost the taste for it now.

Ashcroft polls also show he'll lose his seat.

I really like Charles Kennedy. Definitely my favourite Lib Dem. If he could shake his personal problems, he'd make a great leader.
I could well see Labour going for Chucka (Ims ure that's rakas's choice!) and hoping for a "Black Blair" moment! (Possible)- I'd be supportive of Saddiq Khan and Andy Burnham too. Hunts far too posh to get elected.

As for the Tories i'd be quite happy to see Osbourne as next leader (Chist knows what Gove would be like as Chancellor if that rumours true). Boris would get them more support but they'd probably be useless. I'd be open to Esther Mcvey. Hammond, May or any of the other boring eurosceptic farts would be a disaster (Michael howard 2.0)

UKIP: Carswell obviously. In any case, theyd be destroyed post farage. I'd bet good money on it.

Lib Dems: In my opinion their biggest weakness is they have a seeming lack of decent leaders. I personally think Clegg is fantastic but he is nationally despised (Although more popular than ed miliband!) and will be gone before 2020. Somebody boring but effective like Cable or Davey should be made interim leader until somebody decent comes. Anyone but Farron or that scumbag Gordon birtwhistle.

Laws would be fantastic (First gay PM?) but unfortunately the fact most of the population seems to believe he's a massive benefit fraud goes against him. (The judge ruled he wast acting in order to gain money, and was actually makes a loss)
Original post by Rakas21
David Miliband is not even an MP and if Labour are not in government by June, him not being leader will likely be the reason why in the history books.

It'd still be an awesome fight though.

Haha !

And converting the luxury mill apartments back into workshops? :drool:
Reply 16
Bojo for the Tories.
Reply 17
For Labour I've got a feeling Cooper will be next.

For the Lib Dems Farron is obviously the favourite, but Norman Lamb seems to be lined up as the stop-Farron candidate. He's popular for his stuff on mental health in particular. It's assumed that Alexander will lose his seat, Laws doesn't seem to have the appetite for it (esp after resignation), Davey's uninspiring, and no one else is really considered. I suppose the wildcard is if Cable surprises everyone and runs.

If Kirsty Williams ever moves into Westminster she'll be in the mix, very able.
Not a prediction but I wouldn't mind seeing Tristram Hunt v Patrick McLoughlin
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
For the Tories, it's pretty much down to May, Gove, Osborne or Boris.

Out of the lot of them, Osborne's probably the best choice. May is too much on the reactionary right for most of the party hierarchy, Gove doesn't have the presentational abilities and Boris is too much of a gamble. There's a couple of young up-and-comers, but no-one really stand-out. Liam Fox would also stand, but I don't think he'll get very far.

For the Lib Dems, Tim Farron. Danny Alexander is a good outside shout, but there's a fair chance he'll lose his seat. David Laws - normally too divisive - may take it simply by dint of having a very safe seat. I'd have liked to have seen Jeremy Browne go further, but he's standing down. If the party wanted to swing to the left, Vince Cable would be a possibility even despite the fact he's near enough an antique.

Labour? Christ knows. Ed Balls? He's got a more human side, although his association with Miliband and Gordon Brown may count against him.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply