The Student Room Group

Legal working hour limit - UK

Please only posters that are from the UK (Preferably England) that know what they're talking about. I'm a care worker and I have been booked for 9x 13 hour shifts which is 107 hours and 91 hours in a 7 day period. I have opted out of my 48 hour limit clause and I'm happy to do the 9x 13 hour shifts as I agreed to all of the bookings from my boss. But I'm wondering does opting out of the 48 hour clause really equal unlimited working time? This is the UK surely there must be a stop point rule where the amount of hours becomes illegal on health and safety grounds?

Regards
Original post by Careworker

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours/overview

Some jobs hours are up to 100% of the time. When you opt out, you opt out and you just agree what you want to do beyond the 48 hours.

Health and Safety limits would be tested after the event, ie if you find a health and safety issue because of the hours you have agreed to work, then go through the proper process of reporting it.
as threeport drift says you only opt out of the 48 hour average working week , you CANNOT opt out of daily and weekly rest periods- your shift pattern described above is in breach of that and could backfire badly on the employer if there was an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending