The Student Room Group

Warwick or Birmingham

I have unconditional offers for both to study sociology this coming September.

I live about a 20 min walk from the Birmingham campus and it could take me 90/120mins to get to Warwick as I'll be commuting in. Travelling doesn't bother me as much as I used to travel 90mins to my college. (I've only noted this in case anyone mentioned travel).

I love both unis as much as the other one and I'm really struggling to choose.
Reply 1
I will be taking a Social Sciences degree at Warwick from 2015 (Part Time). I have completed a foundation module this year and have been in and around the Department. There is a wide variety of extra curricular seminars and lectures and all of the modules I sat in have been well prepared, presented and stimulating. League tables are not everything but Warwick scores highly in all 2015 Sociology assessments (Times etc). The campus is modern and has everything you need to hand; you will need to live off site at some point, but regular bus services etc make this relatively easy.I have a son at Cambridge and the facilities if not quite the prestige are easily a match at Warwick. Can't comment on Birmingham.
Original post by sophus18x
I have unconditional offers for both to study sociology this coming September.

I live about a 20 min walk from the Birmingham campus and it could take me 90/120mins to get to Warwick as I'll be commuting in. Travelling doesn't bother me as much as I used to travel 90mins to my college. (I've only noted this in case anyone mentioned travel).

I love both unis as much as the other one and I'm really struggling to choose.

Warwick mate I declined an unconditional from Birmingham for Warwick
I had this choice myself in 2011. In the end, Birmingham edged it for me as I liked the location better, it has a campus uni feel but the city centre & surrounding area is easily accessible, whereas I found Warwick's campus a little bit isolated even though I thought it was really pretty. They're both excellent unis, but I definitely don't regret choosing Birmingham.

You've said you don't mind travelling, but the commute time is something you have to consider at university. By the time you get to 2nd/3rd year you'll have a lot of work to do than you did at college, and if you're spending loads of time travelling to uni it can take up potential study time. Living so close to Birmingham would mean being able to access any resources you needed in the library whenever you needed to as well.

But it that doesn't bother you much, then go for the one at which you prefer the look of the course.
Warwick is not as good as its students claim. My friend who goes there said it was not ghat good
Awks but hi soph, you used to go to sp right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest