The Student Room Group

25th March: Open surgery

On this week's show, it's over to you for an Open Surgery.

What would you like to ask Aled and Dr Radha? It can be anything - worries, problems or just for some information or advice; we're here for you! Or tell us what you want us to talk about on the show - what do you think is important for us to be discussing on The Surgery?

Please remember that anything you put here may be used on Radio 1 or the BBC Advice Pages.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BBC Radio 1

What would you like to ask Aled and Dr Radha? It can be anything - worries, problems or just for some information or advice; we're here for you! Or tell us what you want us to talk about on the show - what do you think is important for us to be discussing on The Surgery?

Please remember that anything you put here may be used on Radio 1 or the BBC Advice Pages.

What do you enjoy most about your jobs and what are the drawbacks of it?

I keep on getting ear infections, how can I prevent them from occurring and ease my pain when they do occur.

like last year is there going to be a revision week?
Original post by Anonymous
I keep on getting ear infections, how can I prevent them from occurring and ease my pain when they do occur.

as a young child I had a lot of ear infections and our gp wouldnt prescribe antibiotics straight away so a lot of pain. My mother imported xylitol chewing gum for me. There are now uk websites selling 100% xylitol gum. You need 100% because that works on more types of bacteria but any gum with some xylitol (wrigleys do one) will help a bit. Chew after each meal. Apparently in clinical trials only prevents sone infections but the only one it didnt prevent for me was one picked up in a swimming pool - and I had one lot of antibiotics that shouldn't have worked when my friends had 2 or 3 courses of different antibiotics. (gp rang my mother after the culture came back to say I'd need diffeent antibiotics but I was fine by then). There is also a vaccine now that may help.
Original post by catherinexxx
like last year is there going to be a revision week?

There is! It's on the show in a couple of weeks! Keep an eye across TSR and we'll be chatting about this from Friday, before next Wednesday's show!

Ami @ The Surgery x
(edited 8 years ago)

Cognitive performance enhancing drugs, how common is the use amongst students especially during intensive periods in the academic year, what are the dangers of buying them from less than reputable outlets, what are the dangers of taking them, where should you seek help regarding any side effects/addiction.

Although this may need a whole show dedicated to it and more time for preparation, perhaps the following week after the planned 'revision week' episode. but it would be good getting information from a professional that the audience can contact directly:h:

foreskin problems ... too tight doesn't usually roll back easily but rarely does painful during sex feels too tight when forces down
Original post by getfunky!
Cognitive performance enhancing drugs, how common is the use amongst students especially during intensive periods in the academic year, what are the dangers of buying them from less than reputable outlets, what are the dangers of taking them, where should you seek help regarding any side effects/addiction.

Although this may need a whole show dedicated to it and more time for preparation, perhaps the following week after the planned 'revision week' episode. but it would be good getting information from a professional that the audience can contact directly:h:

Hi! Thanks for your question! This might be something that we'll cover on our Revision Show (which is actually the week after next - my mistake, sorry!), when we're talking about safe and unsafe ways to efficiently revise.

Keep tuned in to the show and we'll talk more about it on air!

Ami @ The Surgery x
Original post by Anonymous
foreskin problems ... too tight doesn't usually roll back easily but rarely does painful during sex feels too tight when forces down

Hi! Thanks for your question. We'll talk about this on Wednesday's show. In the meantime, here's a bit of info from our advice pages that might be useful:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4KCNn7QgKR0xLmRFnZ36c5d/foreskin-problems

Thanks,

Ami @ The Surgery x

hi
university depression.... I'm currently a second year student and feel very depressed and down about life , i feel as though everything is on hold and feels very far away, i would also like to add that i have considered leaving uni because i want to start my career now, i do not believe a degree is the key to a successful career, maybe in the past it might have being but certainly not anymore. To be more specific i hate the student life, the free time leads to depression for me (even tho i spend it wisely in the gym, uni work, running or watching tv movies or going out. ) i do quite like university when I'm there I'm just not there often and I'm not that academic has anyone else felt like this i don't know what to do! i am getting on with my work and hopefully ill pass the second year in july time I'm not sure i want a third year as i would rather be earning money and having a career and hopefully starting my life. or am i just crazy and always going to feel that my life is on hold
thank you
Original post by studentLynch
hi
university depression.... I'm currently a second year student and feel very depressed and down about life , i feel as though everything is on hold and feels very far away, i would also like to add that i have considered leaving uni because i want to start my career now, i do not believe a degree is the key to a successful career, maybe in the past it might have being but certainly not anymore. To be more specific i hate the student life, the free time leads to depression for me (even tho i spend it wisely in the gym, uni work, running or watching tv movies or going out. ) i do quite like university when I'm there I'm just not there often and I'm not that academic has anyone else felt like this i don't know what to do! i am getting on with my work and hopefully ill pass the second year in july time I'm not sure i want a third year as i would rather be earning money and having a career and hopefully starting my life. or am i just crazy and always going to feel that my life is on hold
thank you

Hello!

Thanks for your comment, we'll try to talk about this on the show tomorrow evening.

In the meantime, hopefully some of our advice pages will be useful for you?

Some advice pages about depression: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/41CHWH2wXmjKPLXGGYx7lgj/depression

There's also a page about uni, and 'is it right for me?' - this is aimed at people looking to go to University, but there might be a few bits in there that are useful for you! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/TpZQrPBX9q0KhPtzZ0DYNG/university-is-it-for-you

I hope that helps a little, and please try and catch the show tomorrow evening if you can, where we'll be able to talk about this in more detail.

Ami @ The Surgery x
Hello!

Thanks for your comment, we'll try to talk about this on the show tomorrow evening.

In the meantime, hopefully some of our advice pages will be useful for you?

Some advice pages about depression: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/41CHWH2wXmjKPLXGGYx7lgj/depression

There's also a page about uni, and 'is it right for me?' - this is aimed at people looking to go to University, but there might be a few bits in there that are useful for you! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/TpZQrPBX9q0KhPtzZ0DYNG/university-is-it-for-you

I hope that helps a little, and please try and catch the show tomorrow evening if you can, where we'll be able to talk about this in more detail.

Ami @ The Surgery x

thanks for your help i deffo will be listening :smile:
Hi

I've just been prescribed methotrexate by my dermatologist for eczema, I've read the information the comes with it but I'm not sure whether I can take things like paracetamol and aspirin with it. Also is it possible to give blood whilst on it? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest