The Student Room Group

Having a job vs. studying: which is better?

I'd say having a job; at least I can save some money to buy things :biggrin:

Studying is fun (got to wakeup late and all) but having no income is a drag really : /

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kka25
I'd say having a job; at least I can save some money to buy things :biggrin:

Studying is fun (got to wakeup late and all) but having no income is a drag really : /

For me studying because I like learning and it will lead me to big money jobs :h:

I wouldn't like having a job right now, honestly can't think of anything that would be worth my time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Job for me, no doubt :smile:
If the job you want to do requires you to have a particular degree, then you have to get that degree if you want that job.
If not, why go to uni?
I'd love to have to have the option.
Studying studying and studying

A 9-5 job sucks so much...
Having a job to fund my extravagant lifestyle.
Who the hell wants to study?
I went to university because I wanted to. Getting real sick of it now, though. I will miss having the chance to spend time learning about something I'm interested in but I'm REALLY sick of not being able to spend my free time how I like. Income is wonderful, especially when you have enough to spare to actually enjoy it. What isn't wonderful is getting home after a long day, but it's not over yet because your deadline is looming.
You have your WHOLE life to work, why start earlier than you have to?
Whichever one I'm not doing. When I was doing my a-levels I couldn't wait to stop. Now I have a job on my gap year I can't wait to go to university. When I go to university I'll probably wish I'm not there. It's a vicious cycle
Reply 11
It depends on the degree/university and the job.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Studying studying and studying

A 9-5 job sucks so much...

Not as much as having an eratic shift pattern where it is hard to commit to activities as you never know when you might be able to do it again. You might do 1 week and not be able to go again for a month. That sucks.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Not as much as having an eratic shift pattern where it is hard to commit to activities as you never know when you might be able to do it again. You might do 1 week and not be able to go again for a month. That sucks.

What do you mean an erratic shift pattern? Most studying at university has a timetable that rarely changes.

There are many other benefits to studying vs a full time job too
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
What do you mean an erratic shift pattern? Most studying at university has a timetable that rarely changes.

There are many other benefits to studying vs a full time job too

I'm in a full time job where my hours change every week (as in the times I'm actually in the place working). Hence 'erratic shift pattern'.

E.g. Yesterday was 10:30-22:30 and today is 18:00-2:00 whereas next Thursday and Friday are scheduled as 19:00-1:00 and 12:00-20:00
Original post by SirMasterKey
I'm in a full time job where my hours change every week (as in the times I'm actually in the place working). Hence 'erratic shift pattern'.

E.g. Yesterday was 10:30-22:30 and today is 18:00-2:00 whereas next Thursday and Friday are scheduled as 19:00-1:00 and 12:00-20:00

Oh I see, I thought you were talking about studying.

Yeah work sucks in general :tongue:
Job. Having your evenings and weekends back is a godsend. Plus, money.
for the last 18 months ive been doing both and its a bloody killer
Can't stand studying, and can't wait to graduate. No money, no weekends, and uni totally sucks.

Bring on the $$$, weekend trips, eating out, and enjoying life in general.
Why should you have to work in exchange for state promissory notes anyway?

Quick Reply