The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Switching from 4 years in Bristol to 3 years, then going to Oxford/Imperial?

****not sure where this belongs, mods please move this if you think this belongs elsewhere****

Would it be worth doing this?

I'm currently on a Maths & Physics MSci.

My options:

Stay on the 4 year course, I'd be forced to do a Physics project at the end and not a very wide range of units to choose on the 4th year due to being heavily applied. One particular thing about this is that I wouldn't get to study Numerical Analysis/PDEs which may be important in the future.

I'm thinking about pursuing my academic interests and I'm looking towards a range of careers in the financial sector. Anything from become an actuary, risk/investment analyst to an investment banker.

Stay 3 years, do a Physics project, have even less choice for my 3rd year, but still stuff that I'd enjoy doing.
Then move to Imperial and study Applied Mathematics MSc where I have a huge range of modules to cover and I'll be doing a Mathematics based project. I'd be able to venture in the areas of scientific computation and numerical PDEs whilst also having the choice to study a bit of Physics if I wish.

Or move to Oxford and study Mathematical and Theoretical Physics if I later choose to want to stick to Physics.

Of course, these last two are dependent upon me doing extremely well and actually getting a place. But how much exactly would my job prospects in these sort of sectors change from getting a Master's from Ox/Imperial? I know that some firms recruit exclusively from some very prestigious universities but AFAIK this applies mainly to undegrads?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending