The Student Room Group

M1 Vectors Help!!

Need help on this

Diagram

worked out theta to be 78.3 degrees, so the bearing should be 360 - 2x78.3 but its wrong?

HELP!
Original post by bluegirl32
Need help on this

Diagram

worked out theta to be 78.3 degrees, so the bearing should be 360 - 2x78.3 but its wrong?

HELP!

Diagram not drawn accurately

I get theta = 78.58

But B to c1 isn't North. If it was North it'd have to be 110.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by maggiehodgson
I get theta = 78.58

Oh sorry - yes I did get that.

I don't know how to deduce the direction :/
Oh sorry - yes I did get that.

I don't know how to deduce the direction :/

Just edited my response so perhaps that will help.
Reply 4
Just edited my response so perhaps that will help.

Still dont get it :lol:

OK. The diagram looks as if C1 is North of B. You've calculated that the angle theta is acute but the diagram is showing an obtuse angel (hence diagram not drawn accurately.

If you drew in a North from B then theta would have to be 110 (interior angles of parallel lines). Now you can see that C1 is actually 31.42 degrees anticlockwise from North.

Is one of the answers 328.58? If so my explanation seems to work out. If not ignore what I've said and I'll rethink.

Let me know.
Reply 6
OK. The diagram looks as if C1 is North of B. You've calculated that the angle theta is acute but the diagram is showing an obtuse angel (hence diagram not drawn accurately.

If you drew in a North from B then theta would have to be 110 (interior angles of parallel lines). Now you can see that C1 is actually 31.42 degrees anticlockwise from North.

Is one of the answers 328.58? If so my explanation seems to work out. If not ignore what I've said and I'll rethink.

Let me know.

Yes one of the answers is 328 :smile:

ah i understand what you're saying but diagramatically I cant really think it, like why is it anticlockwise btw?

this is my diagram now

Does this diagram help at all?
Reply 8
Does this diagram help at all?

YES :biggrin:

so how did you end up with 328 :smile:
YES :biggrin:

so how did you end up with 328 :smile:

You know the 78. 58 and the 110 so you can calculate that little angle between C and North.

Bearings are always taken from North in a clockwise direction so you have to take that little angle off 360.

OK? or NOT OK?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
You know the 78. 58 and the 110 so you can calculate that little angle between C and North.

Bearings are always taken from North in a clockwise direction so you have to take that little angle off 360.

OK? or NOT OK?

Ah, I'm still confused on how to get the bearings!

I understand everything else though!
Ah, I'm still confused on how to get the bearings!

I understand everything else though!

You stand at B with your arm pointing North. Then you twiz round until your arm is pointing at C. And how many degrees you have twizzed through is the bearing.

Here is an updated diagram.

What do you think now?
Reply 12
You stand at B with your arm pointing North. Then you twiz round until your arm is pointing at C. And how many degrees you have twizzed through is the bearing.

Here is an updated diagram.

What do you think now?

Oh yes I get it now! thanks!!!!

now for the other solution?
Oh yes I get it now! thanks!!!!

now for the other solution?

Oh, I bet you can do that.

Just draw on the other position and the solution will just jump out at you.
Reply 14

Oh, I bet you can do that.

Just draw on the other position and the solution will just jump out at you.

the answer is not right though :frown:

the answer is not right though :frown:

Well, that's not what I had an idea about. You know how far you have to twizz for C1. But look where C2 is. It's before C1 and you know how many degrees before C1.

Doing it your way, you have assumed that the A, C1, C2 diagram is evenly spread and have thought that the angle between C2 and South is the same as between C1 and North.

If I don't reply tonight I will tomorrow. My friends have just arrived.
Reply 16
Well, that's not what I had an idea about. You know how far you have to twizz for C1. But look where C2 is. It's before C1 and you know how many degrees before C1.

Doing it your way, you have assumed that the A, C1, C2 diagram is evenly spread and have thought that the angle between C2 and South is the same as between C1 and North.

I think I got the right answer

360 - (78.58 + 110) = 171.42
Reply 17

Angle of C2 = 78.58,

Angle of C1 to north = 110,

Is this right?

Thank you so much for all your help!
I think I got the right answer

360 - (78.58 + 110) = 171.42

'Twas a false alarm. Friends not here yet.

I'm so pleased that you've sussed it. I can go out this evening without thinking that you are frustrated with the question.
Reply 19
'Twas a false alarm. Friends not here yet.

I'm so pleased that you've sussed it. I can go out this evening without thinking that you are frustrated with the question.

hahahahahaha thank you x :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest