The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
merci :smile:

I now have a dilemma though...if I go to York, I'll be visiting an area of the country I've never been to (which is always nice :smile: )...but if I went to UCL, I might be able to live at home and commute (money-savingness!). Plus it would be *much* easier to go and see my boyfriend, since he lives in France and travel from London-France is v convenient. Have been looking at the courses again and I don't overtly prefer one over the other, although UCL does seem to put a nice emphasis on flexibility/tailoring the course to the student.

Argh. Decisions=bad.
Reply 81
Angelil
merci :smile:

I now have a dilemma though...if I go to York, I'll be visiting an area of the country I've never been to (which is always nice :smile: )...but if I went to UCL, I might be able to live at home and commute (money-savingness!). Plus it would be *much* easier to go and see my boyfriend, since he lives in France and travel from London-France is v convenient. Have been looking at the courses again and I don't overtly prefer one over the other, although UCL does seem to put a nice emphasis on flexibility/tailoring the course to the student.

Argh. Decisions=bad.

Sounds to me like you're slightly favouring UCL at the moment - if the only real argument in favour of York is that you've never been there, you could still visit the place without doing your MA there, right?
well obviously york is more comparable to exeter as a city (but with more of a ghandi street than forestreet feel to it). i love london myself and would jump at the chance to study there. are you ok living back with your folks? i tried that for an msc and it drove me mad - it was like going back in time and i gave up a lot of the things i valued at uni for the sake of money (i too was saving).
Reply 83
I've just discovered something to swing it back majorly in favour of York - the fact that its SU/society coverage seems excellent (my participation in societies is quite important to me), whereas judging by UCL's SU page, their range of societies looks rubbish.

I don't know that my parents are really happy with the idea of my living at home (my sis starts at uni this Sept as well and I think they were rather looking forward to some peace and quiet!!), but I think I could talk them round :p:
Reply 84
Congratulations on the UCL offer, Angelil! :smile: I just got an offer from York, which makes the process a lot more difficult because now I'm really torn between the two, as well as my other options (deferring, trying out for Johns Hopkins' SAIS next year, etc, etc). This is going to be tough...
Reply 85
I only put my Bristol application into the office on Thursday! Plenty of time, though....pfff
Reply 86
Buahahahaha. Ahem.

Personally I just wish Ox would put me out of my misery. *is sure she is going to be rejected*
got an offer from UCL. That was pretty quick. But they are so specific about the condition. They're asking for a 64% average. :P I thought it would just say 2:1... cos I'm more like a 62% student... :P Still waiting for King's.
Reply 88
wow I didn't know universities made % offers. oh dears..... !
I know. I've never heard of it either. Maybe it's just UCL... :-( they're cruel.. :-P
Reply 90
II.i offer from Bristol for MA English Literature. I'm happy, since I've only applied to Bristol and Oxford, with the latter having a not so high chance of, y'know, actually getting in. So now I have somewhere to go and something to do!
Reply 91
Fazorme
II.i offer from Bristol for MA English Literature. I'm happy, since I've only applied to Bristol and Oxford, with the latter having a not so high chance of, y'know, actually getting in. So now I have somewhere to go and something to do!

Somewhere to stay, you mean.:biggrin: Anyway: congratulations!
Reply 92
hobnob I *heart* you :wink: Yes, stay. Which means I should look at some sort of accom. soon.

How tempting is it to e-mail Ox. everyday, slowly wearing down their patience, until they crack and just reply one way or t'other. I wholeheartedly believe that un-needed e-mails speed up the process ^_^
Reply 93
Hehehe. Well done on your offer :smile:
I feel like that with Ox as well, especially as a) they're the only uni I'm still waiting to hear from and b) if they're going to reject me, which I'm pretty certain they are, they should just get it over with and stop stringing me along :biggrin:
Reply 94
*feels lucky to not be applying for AHRC funding*
Reply 95
Hobnob, I know what you mean. At least here we have longer terms (if ealier deadlines!) so I have a couple of extra weeks to get things sorted. Infact, there's a meeting this Wednesday for all applicants to discuss self- and council-funding.

Ang., if it's not too rude to ask someone I don't know on a random message board, are you self funding your entire MA, or is there some other linguistics based funding body you've found?
Reply 96
Nope, not rude at all...I'm lucky enough to have parents who are paying for the whole lot. They must be mad...they've funded me through my BA and are funding my sister's entire medical course (all 7 years of it :eek: ). Not that I'm not grateful or anything, I just think they're brave :smile:
Reply 97
Ah that's awesome! Your parents are cool.
Angelil
Nope, not rude at all...I'm lucky enough to have parents who are paying for the whole lot. They must be mad...they've funded me through my BA and are funding my sister's entire medical course (all 7 years of it :eek: ). Not that I'm not grateful or anything, I just think they're brave :smile:

They're paying it so you stay away lol.

Seriously though, did you go to private school as well? I'd be pissed at not getting As across the board if I went to an indie.
Reply 99
I didn't go to a private school, I went to a state primary and then a bog standard comp, as did my sister.

Latest

Trending

Trending