The Student Room Group

Which university is better for Law?

Hello,

I am an international applicant from Canada and I currently have received 5 conditional offers from

City University London
Brunel University London
Queen Mary University of London
The University of Edinburgh
The University of Manchester

All of which are for the Undergraduate LLB (with the exception of Edinburgh being Law with International Relations and Brunel being Law with International Arbitration and Commercial Law).

I have since narrowed down my list to Queen Mary and Manchester. However, I am not too sure which one I should firm and which should be my insurance as I am quite split between the two.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply 1
Good choices :biggrin: they are both great unis. Queen Mary was ranked 9th in the country for Law this year, however league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think it really depends on whether you would rather live in London or Manchester?
Reply 2
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
Good choices :biggrin: they are both great unis. Queen Mary was ranked 9th in the country for Law this year, however league tables should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think it really depends on whether you would rather live in London or Manchester?

I happen to have relatives in both cities, however, I am aware that the costs of living are much less expensive in Manchester. Would there be any major advantages or disadvantages by going to one over the other?
Reply 3
The University of Manchester. I study Corporate Law at Manchester 1st year
Reply 4
Original post by 061194
The University of Manchester. I study Corporate Law at Manchester 1st year

Could you tell me more about the program and how the university is, overall? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Well this might sound a little weird but Im the only one studying a Corporate Law(It was a new degree and I was the only one that picked it) degree out of 100s of Law Students at the University. Basicly its Law modules such as criminal,research skills,accounting,marketing,contract and tort.You need to get at least 40% o each module to pass overall.Seems easy but I keep panicking whether I've done enough.
The program is tough ,but at times it can be stressful my advice is to take it on the chin and ask for help if you dont understand anything.Each semester you'll buy at least 3 books which can cost in total up to £110.You can use the libraries in the city but you wont be able to write on the books of course
Remember that your there to study but also to build your life.It can be the best years of your life.

Well Manchester(city center) was a second home to me as I used to be there quiet allot when I was very young.The best thing about it is that it is a lot more youthful and chilled out city compared to London and other places.You can literally walk to the other side of the city center in 10-15mins.Food ,culture ,nightlife etc is perfect . Thats why you tend to find students after they've completed their degree buy a modern flat in the city centre(I was thinking the same today) as a second home.

I think I rambled a bit :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by 061194
Well this might sound a little weird but Im the only one studying a Corporate Law(It was a new degree and I was the only one that picked it) degree out of 100s of Law Students at the University. Basicly its Law modules such as criminal,research skills,accounting,marketing,contract and tort.You need to get at least 40% o each module to pass overall.Seems easy but I keep panicking whether I've done enough.
The program is tough ,but at times it can be stressful my advice is to take it on the chin and ask for help if you dont understand anything.Each semester you'll buy at least 3 books which can cost in total up to £110.You can use the libraries in the city but you wont be able to write on the books of course
Remember that your there to study but also to build your life.It can be the best years of your life.

Well Manchester(city center) was a second home to me as I used to be there quiet allot when I was very young.The best thing about it is that it is a lot more youthful and chilled out city compared to London and other places.You can literally walk to the other side of the city center in 10-15mins.Food ,culture ,nightlife etc is perfect . Thats why you tend to find students after they've completed their degree buy a modern flat in the city centre(I was thinking the same today) as a second home.

I think I rambled a bit :biggrin:

Ah okay, I heard a lot of the major law firms visit Manchester every year and that they have very close links to the industry, is this true?
Original post by nerraww
Hello,

I am an international applicant from Canada and I currently have received 5 conditional offers from

City University London
Brunel University London

All of which are for the Undergraduate LLB (with the exception of Edinburgh being Law with International Relations and Brunel being Law with International Arbitration and Commercial Law).

I have since narrowed down my list to Queen Mary and Manchester. However, I am not too sure which one I should firm and which should be my insurance as I am quite split between the two.

Thank you!

Either way, both universities are good. Manchester would offer better value for your degree with its reputation. You will also get to live in a reasonably-sized city with a lower cost of living than London. On the other hand, Queen Mary would provide greater opportunities to network with city law firms with more access to events. Personally, I would say Manchester is a better choice than Queen Mary, but I would suggest weighing out the pros and cons of each university before making up your mind.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nerraww
Hello,

City University London
Brunel University London

Thank you!

Okay I'm not sure as to the other unis but I'm doing law at Brunel. I'm a first year student so I don't have much experience. However, this is what I have to say. In terms of the staff, its helpful and approachable. In terms of reputation, its not the best but neither its the worst uni. From what I remember, it comes under top 10 unis of London. Socially, you would find lost of International students. This includes Chinese, Koreans, Pakistanis, Indians and Arabs etc. I even met a student from the States. I love the uni and its amazing. Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by zero_Gravity91
Either way, both universities are good. Manchester would offer better value for your degree with its reputation. You will also get to live in a reasonably-sized city with a lower cost of living than London. On the other hand, Queen Mary would provide greater opportunities to network with city law firms with more access to events. Personally, I would say Manchester is a better choice than Queen Mary, but I would suggest weighing out the pros and cons of each university before making up your mind.

Thank you very much! I think those are the main reasons why I am slightly leaning towards Manchester right now.
Reply 10
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Okay I'm not sure as to the other unis but I'm doing law at Brunel. I'm a first year student so I don't have much experience. However, this is what I have to say. In terms of the staff, its helpful and approachable. In terms of reputation, its not the best but neither its the worst uni. From what I remember, it comes under top 10 unis of London. Socially, you would find lost of International students. This includes Chinese, Koreans, Pakistanis, Indians and Arabs etc. I even met a student from the States. I love the uni and its amazing. Hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks for the alternate perspective! I'm sure the Law program at Brunel is quite exceptional as well. However, unfortunately I don't think I will be considering Brunel :frown:
Manchester and Queen Mary are pretty similar. Queen Mary has a better legal reputation but Manchester a better general reputation. Manchester and London are both good cities, price is the only difference really. I have encountered more Queen Mary students on my vacation schemes I must admit (very few from Manchester), but I think lots studying up there like to work for firms up North. Whichever you choose I think you'll be fine and should have no regrets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending