The Student Room Group

Is it wise to apply to those five unis? (Maths and physics, 2016)

Okay so those are the ones I'm thinking of applying to:
1: Cambridge (Maths Tripos + first year physics)
2: Imperial College London (MSci Physics with Theoretical Physics)
3: Bath (MSci Mathematics and Physics)
4: Saint Andrews (MPhys Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, 2nd year entry)
5: Warwick (MPhys Mathematics and Physics)

My question is do you think I'm aiming too high? Like should I have a back up university (cuz I would rather I don't have one).
Also if you see any inconsistencies, like if one course is very different from the others, please tell me (except the first, I know all about that).

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends how confident you are, but there is always clearing if you have over stretched yourself...
Original post by gagafacea1

My question is do you think I'm aiming too high? Like should I have a back up university (cuz I would rather I don't have one).
Also if you see any inconsistencies, like if one course is very different from the others, please tell me (except the first, I know all about that).

Thanks.

this really is far too risky. there is another thread here of a girl being rejected by Cambridge imperial and durham despite predicted grades of A*A*A. you could well end up with no offers. it is your choice but you really cannot complain if you end up with nothing doing this. rethink your choices and I personally think you should you be better off changing 4 and 5 to less competitive unis

Thanks.

I'd replace Bath with UCL and Saint Andrews with Bristol.
If you've got good grades (A*s and As), go for it!
You need to think whether going to uni in 2016 is the most important thing or if you'd take a gap year to go where you want. There's no right answer for everyone but if it's the former then I'd recommend a back-up, if it's the latter then apply where you want.

Thanks.

The requirements of those unis range from AAA (St Andrews) up to A*A*A with STEP (Cambridge) so in that sense you do have a range of potential offers.

The issue is how good you are at Maths (and Physics). Wait to see how you do at AS - not just whether you get A's, but whether you get high UMS.
Original post by swanseajack1
this really is far too risky. there is another thread here of a girl being rejected by Cambridge imperial and durham despite predicted grades of A*A*A. you could well end up with no offers. it is your choice but you really cannot complain if you end up with nothing doing this. rethink your choices and I personally think you should you be better off changing 4 and 5 to less competitive unis

Which Unis do you suggest?

Original post by crosstalk
I'd replace Bath with UCL and Saint Andrews with Bristol.

I really don't want to replace Bath, I like it a lot.

Original post by SmallTownGirl
You need to think whether going to uni in 2016 is the most important thing or if you'd take a gap year to go where you want. There's no right answer for everyone but if it's the former then I'd recommend a back-up, if it's the latter then apply where you want.

Can't take a gap year, no good uni will accept me if I did that. Plus I, myself, don't want to do that.

Original post by ageshallnot
The requirements of those unis range from AAA (St Andrews) up to A*A*A with STEP (Cambridge) so in that sense you do have a range of potential offers.

The issue is how good you are at Maths (and Physics). Wait to see how you do at AS - not just whether you get A's, but whether you get high UMS.

What is that UMS thing everybody is talking about in here? Is that the same as UCAS points cuz that's what all my teachers talk about and it turns out that no uni cares about those points.

What is that UMS thing everybody is talking about in here? Is that the same as UCAS points cuz that's what all my teachers talk about and it turns out that no uni cares about those points.

No, UMS is essentially your marks as a percentage. Are you getting 80s? 90s? Cambridge in particular set great store by high UMS, regarding it as a key indicator to success at degree level.
the problem is Cambridge Imperial Warwick and St Andrews all reject more than they accept for maths. You are likely to need A*A*A as a MINIMUM. You will also need to reach set levels in STEP. They are only likely to consider you if you are taking Maths and Further Maths at a level. You will be required to get UMS a level percentage of around 95% in each to have any hope of getting in and even then it cannot be guaranteed. Bath is an extremely good Maths uni again you are likely to need A*AA and possibly step. They also want maths and further maths. Depending on the subjects you are taking and your likely marks I think it might be worth you applying to Bath and 2 of the other 4. Other unis worth looking into include Exeter Bristol Birmingham and York. If you expended marks are extremely good I would apply to 2 of Cambridge Imperial Durham and Warwick then Bath then one of the above and maybe Loughborough Cardiff or Swansea as an insurance
Can't take a gap year, no good uni will accept me if I did that. Plus I, myself, don't want to do that.

There's no reason that a uni won't accept you because you took a gap year. Many of my physics student friends took gap years. But if you personally don't want to do that then you want to think realistically about the grades you might achieve and apply to at least one uni that is below your target grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending