The Student Room Group

Advice wanted: Due to qualify next month but failed nursing course.

Hey all,

I am (was) studying adult nursing and despite passing all my modules throughout as well as all of my placements, I unfortunately failed my final year drugs calculation because of stupid, stupid mistakes in the online test and the university have decided not to let me have a third attempt and therefore have failed my course. I am entitled to an appeal and will be submitting that in due course however I'm just asking for advice if the inevitable happens and I do not get my appeal accepted.

I will be awarded a diploma of he in health and social care but I'm not sure exactly what I can do with that, I'm not overly happy to have studied for three years to only become a band 2.

I'm literally gutted that it's come to this, particularly because of what I failed on (One was because I didn't round my answer up and another was because I accidentally clicked the wrong units for the calculation) and because I am up to my eyeballs in debt and now have no idea how to clear it or even how to pay my rent next month.

Any advice would be greatly accepted.
no advice, as such, just wanted to say how upsetting for you. If I was you I would appeal to their better nature and allow you to resit it. I really hope your appeal is successful.
Reply 2
Hi Sophie

I am in the same boat as you. I failed an assignment in my last module, I was able to resit but still failed and I believe it was through inadequate support from the staff and module leader. However I graduated with a health studies degree, something that doesn't really get me the career I wanted. Im still no closer to getting help with resitting this module. How are you getting on?
I submitted my appeal and it turned out I was entitled to two more attempts than the course leader thought, and I passed on my third attempt. I'm beyond angry with the university for everything they put me through and by the time I had got over it all, it was too late to submit a complaint to the university. But I now have my PIN and am working as a staff nurse at a local trust so I suppose that's what matters, despite the 6 months of crap I had to endure thanks to the course leaders not knowing their course.
Reply 4
Well done, glad it all worked out in your favour. :biggrin:

Original post by SophieHarris90
I submitted my appeal and it turned out I was entitled to two more attempts than the course leader thought, and I passed on my third attempt. I'm beyond angry with the university for everything they put me through and by the time I had got over it all, it was too late to submit a complaint to the university. But I now have my PIN and am working as a staff nurse at a local trust so I suppose that's what matters, despite the 6 months of crap I had to endure thanks to the course leaders not knowing their course.
Original post by SophieHarris90

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
So Happy for you, I was due to qualify last year but my mentor failed me on one skill, so I couldn't get signed off, and uni would allow me another placement even though I had passed everything first time,
I'm beyond devastated still and don't know what to do still, it's taken the last year to get through the appeals system and I can now do no more so the NHS has lost out on a nurse :frown:
Im sure youd make a great nurse though good luck
Xx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tazzamj
So Happy for you, I was due to qualify last year but my mentor failed me on one skill, so I couldn't get signed off, and uni would allow me another placement even though I had passed everything first time,
I'm beyond devastated still and don't know what to do still, it's taken the last year to get through the appeals system and I can now do no more so the NHS has lost out on a nurse :frown:
Im sure youd make a great nurse though good luck
Xx

God that's awful.
Did you not get anywhere with the appeals?
If you don't mind telling but what was it that you failed on? (Don't worry if you don't want to disclose it fine).
I am due to start my training again next in March after leaving 6 months before I was due to qualify 4 years ago and that was down to a choice I had to make for myself at the time due to things in my personal life but it was still devastating at the time.
Is there no way you can transfer to a different uni and somehow resit the last year or something?
Reply 8
Hey. I know this was years ago but what did your appeal include if you don’t mind sharing
Original post by Sian7777
Hey. I know this was years ago but what did your appeal include if you don’t mind sharing

OP hasn’t been online in three years, so you might be waiting a while for a reply.

Why are are you asking? Are you in a similar situation?
I was but the situation has been resolved. Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending