The Student Room Group

Compulsory politics and banking lessons

I think politics and lessons focused on money should be compulsory

There's a reason why the younger demographic don't vote which is because we have no idea what we're voting for!
And banking should be compulsory, where we learn all about the different taxes, types of bank accounts, mortgages, basically anything money related that we'll need later on in life

I'm not talking like 4 hours a week, literally like an hour/ and hour and half lesson every 2 weeks, once you enter seniors

Anyone else agree/disagree

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree.

With politics, start in primary school by teaching them about how parliament works, how laws are formed, the process of elections, etc. Then move on to political issues, ideologies and parties in secondary school when it is easier to teach them in an unbiased manner.

With banking, it's certainly an advantage if they leave school with a better understanding of how banks actually work.
Reply 2
Original post by RFowler
I agree.

With politics, start in primary school by teaching them about how parliament works, how laws are formed, the process of elections, etc. Then move on to political issues, ideologies and parties in secondary school when it is easier to teach them in an unbiased manner.

With banking, it's certainly an advantage if they leave school with a better understanding of how banks actually work.

Firstly, primary school develops the child for the rudimentaries, not for subjects which require a qualification. Secondly, there is no such thing as an "unbiased manner" with regards to politics. Politics is more than just perspective, it is also about persuasion - ultimately about power.
Reply 3
Original post by Martyn*
Firstly, primary school develops the child for the rudimentaries, not for subjects which require a qualification. Secondly, there is no such thing as an "unbiased manner" with regards to politics. Politics is more than just perspective, it is also about persuasion - ultimately about power.

What do you mean by primary school doesn't teach kids about subjects that require a qualification? Pretty sure it does

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by IAmEchelon
What do you mean by primary school doesn't teach kids about subjects that require a qualification? Pretty sure it does

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't. They teach subjects that lead to a qualification later on.
Original post by Martyn*

When I say primary school I'm obviously not talking about teaching 5 year olds about it. Probably about year 5 or 6, to teach about the basics, I think that would be pretty age appropriate.

And when I said unbiased manner I'm referring to simply teaching facts about political ideologies, what policies different parties have, etc. And you can do that with secondary school children at the right age.
Reply 6
start in secondary not primary school
5 years in secondary school is plenty of time
Seems optimistic to think that having a school teacher telling pupils to give a monkeys about X will result in the pupils giving a monkeys about X.

I'm not quite sure what you can teach about different party policies without being biased, one party will announce a policy which they say is great because it'll do X and the other party say it's terrible because it'll do Y and Z... and they might even both be right.

Cameron's saying quite different things about immigration now to what he was saying in 2010 and it's not that he's especially awful, it's what politicians do. How to explain that politicians say one thing and then end up doing another while making voting sound like a worthwhile thing to do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending