The Student Room Group

AQA A2 biology EMPA? What would you do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ali_blue
Ok I need to get a minimum of a A overall, at AS I got 286 UMS. In my ISA I got a B on last years grade boundaries, 40/50 our school is one of those schools who refuses to cheat, so the grade boundaries are ridiculously high and that B will probably be a C. Do you think I should bank my isa grade, or do an empa? Does anyone have experience with doing an isa and then an empa, and did you improve? I'm pretty good at exams so I wouldn't get a tragically bad mark on the empa anyway, but do you think it's worth the risk? How hard are empas? Thanks!!!

Resitting the ISA by doing an EMPA will not do you any favours in terms of getting an A* as all you need is an average of 90% in your 3 A2 modules combined and 480/600 ums overall. You seem to have done well at AS with 286ums so you will only need 194ums more to get an A and 90% average across 3 modules for the A*.
Reply 21
Original post by Hudl
Resitting the ISA by doing an EMPA will not do you any favours in terms of getting an A* as all you need is an average of 90% in your 3 A2 modules combined and 480/600 ums overall. You seem to have done well at AS with 286ums so you will only need 194ums more to get an A and 90% average across 3 modules for the A*.

Improving on the empa will increase the liklihood of getting 90% ums though! as it stands I can only drop 12 ums to get an A* overall. Any improvement on that would be good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending