The Student Room Group

I Am Int'l Applicant - I Have 2 Interviews so Far...

Hey guys,

I go to Queen's University (Kingston, Ontario, Canada) and I am in 4th Year Life Sciences.

On Nov.15 - I received an interview to Univ. of Nottingham (Dec.12, but because I have exams here, I pushed the interivew back to Jan.17th).

On Nov.28 - I received an interview to HYMS (I requested for week in Jan, and they gave me Jan.18)

1. Any tips for my interviews? :smile:

2. Because I pushed my Nottingham interview date to Jan.17th, does this put me at a disadvantage (ie. in the U.S, it is rolling apps, so the earlier your interview is conducted, the higher the probability is for you to get accepted)

3. How are Notts and HYMS considered in UK? Good schools?

I contacted Newcastle and Birmingham, and both schools said I can expect to hear from them in January if I do get an interview.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Blitz2006

2. Because I pushed my Nottingham interview date to Jan.17th, does this put me at a disadvantage (ie. in the U.S, it is rolling apps, so the earlier your interview is conducted, the higher the probability is for you to get accepted)

Hey, at HYMS they wait until all interviews have been conducted and then rank everyone - the top however-many are given offers.

In the UK the date of the interview isn't supposed to affect the probability of getting an offer. Nottingham, if it's anything like Manchester, won't have assessed all applications yet but will have sent out interview invitations. Therefore, the date of your interview doesn't reflect the quality of your application or the likelihood of getting an offer.

Blitz2006
3. How are Notts and HYMS considered in UK? Good schools?

Thanks.

All med schools in the UK are of an equal standard, it doesn't really matter where you study medicine. Notts and HYMS are as good as anywhere else. You should pick the university you'd be happiest at.

There's little point looking at general university rankings on league tables, because they have little relevance to med schools.
Reply 2
... and for interview tips - just be yourself. Be enthusiastic and honest. Make sure you have a reasonably good knowledge of the NHS and medical issues in the UK etc. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending