The Student Room Group

Any tips for learning Acoustic Guitar?

So basically I've purchased an acoustic guitar and have currently found what appears to be an excellent website for developing a beginner to an intermediate level starting from level 1 right the way through to level 8.

Anyone got any tips to help me develop my skills? I've already learnt the E minor chord and the A sus2 chord and changing between them comfortably in the space of two hours.
Original post by Tourminator
So basically I've purchased an acoustic guitar and have currently found what appears to be an excellent website for developing a beginner to an intermediate level starting from level 1 right the way through to level 8.

Anyone got any tips to help me develop my skills? I've already learnt the E minor chord and the A sus2 chord and changing between them comfortably in the space of two hours.

Are you using a pick or your fingers? Also what sort of stuff do you want to play?

I remember when I first started learning guitar, I was totally lost, so I know what it's like.
I can't really say anything for certain except making a regular habit of your practising.

7 x a week for 30 mins is better than only touching your guitar once a month for several hours.

Also, let yourself mess around. Obviously learning theory and technical aspects of guitar is great, but if you don't allow yourself to noodle about and experiment, you'll probably be a boring by-the-book player.
Original post by Aivicore
I can't really say anything for certain except making a regular habit of your practising.

7 x a week for 30 mins is better than only touching your guitar once a month for several hours.

Also, let yourself mess around. Obviously learning theory and technical aspects of guitar is great, but if you don't allow yourself to noodle about and experiment, you'll probably be a boring by-the-book player.

What I did, was to learn to play some of my favourite songs on my guitar. Pompeii is quite good
Original post by Zargabaath
Are you using a pick or your fingers? Also what sort of stuff do you want to play?

I remember when I first started learning guitar, I was totally lost, so I know what it's like.

I've got myself three picks, but I've only used the thinnest one as this feels the most comfortable at the moment. It's somewhat soothing to know other people have experienced similar journey as what I'm going through but it feels so exciting to say the least.

In terms of types of music, stuff like Green Day, Blink 182, Oasis, The Killers, Coldplay that sort of thing.

The website I'm currently learning from is this: www.andyguitar.co.uk
Original post by Aivicore

I totally agree, I love to add my own thing in to chord patterns once I've mastered the basic rhythm lol.
I've got myself three picks, but I've only used the thinnest one as this feels the most comfortable at the moment. It's somewhat soothing to know other people have experienced similar journey as what I'm going through but it feels so exciting to say the least.

In terms of types of music, stuff like Green Day, Blink 182, Oasis, The Killers, Coldplay that sort of thing.

If you're just starting out, I'd definitely recommend making sure you're holding the pick right, holding the guitar properly and making sure the things you're playing are clear (I used to do this thing where my fingers would sorta rest on other strings, so when I played chords it would come out muffled and unclear).

I know people are fairly divided on this topic, but one of the things I found really useful was getting a couple of lessons with a teacher. IMO it's much easier to correct small mistakes with the technical side in person then with an online guide. Obviously it isn't vital but it's worth considering. That said the internet is one of the most useful resources there is. YouTube is your new best friend lol.

Learning your favourite songs is a good way to practice, you probably wont get bored as quickly as you would if you're just playing up and down scale shapes. It's useful to learn some chords and scales, but if you never plan to write your own music then there's not much point in learning every single one ever.

A lot of people will say learn theory, but IMO if you aren't planning to write your own music, I don't see much of a point in learning it.

Most importantly, don't forget to have fun, don't get too bogged down if you can't play something, just try something a little easier and come back to it later.
Reply 7

This is how I learned to play from scratch. Choose a song you know well and really want to learn. Make it a nice rhythmic and melodious one rather than a rap/hip hop.
Then type in how to play that particular song on guitar in youtube. Go for a video with a decent views and likes to save you the time to judge the quality of tutoring.
Learn it slowly, and make sure the quality of your chord position is good. Don't rush. PRACTICE everyday for a good 20-30mins at least.

Most songs can be easily played in four chords e.g. G, C, Em, D if your playing in G And also learn in C; i.e. C, F, Am, G. Then you can practically play most songs out there by placing a capo in positions.
You can type in the song name chords in google and go on ultimate guitar site to look for chords. Then try and follow. again, slow and easy. make it a hobby and you'll enjoy learning that you'll easily spend hours rehearsing.:wink:

Then as you progress though strumming and chords progression, learn chords in other keys and apply them!
The way I learnt Guitar (electric, but it transcribes to acoustic easily) is to just sit at your computer/do something like that with your guitar in your lap and just occupy your hands with your guitar while reading or waiting for people to message etc. Look up how to play your favourite songs (that you think are easy enough) on ultimate-guitar and that will teach you a load of chords, and the easiest way to learn is to play along with songs. :smile: hope that helps
Original post by SiMan
This is how I learned to play from scratch. Choose a song you know well and really want to learn. Make it a nice rhythmic and melodious one rather than a rap/hip hop.
Then type in how to play that particular song on guitar in youtube. Go for a video with a decent views and likes to save you the time to judge the quality of tutoring.
Learn it slowly, and make sure the quality of your chord position is good. Don't rush. PRACTICE everyday for a good 20-30mins at least.

Most songs can be easily played in four chords e.g. G, C, Em, D if your playing in G And also learn in C; i.e. C, F, Am, G. Then you can practically play most songs out there by placing a capo in positions.
You can type in the song name chords in google and go on ultimate guitar site to look for chords. Then try and follow. again, slow and easy. make it a hobby and you'll enjoy learning that you'll easily spend hours rehearsing.:wink:

Then as you progress though strumming and chords progression, learn chords in other keys and apply them!

Many thanks indeed :smile:

Andy is great, you should also check out JustinGuitar whom I prefer over Andy. Here's a link to his forum or website.

I honestly don't recommend creating a timetable or a set period for when you should practice guitar or set a target for how long you should play. If you do that, playing guitar will become more of a chore rather than something you do in your spare time to have fun and it will get boring. So, just play whenever you want to, whenever you feel like it, etc, but don't make it a chore.

You should learn some of the most essential chords first, these are: C, D, E, F (I hate this one with a passion), G, A, Am, Dm, Em. Literally, once you've learnt these chords you can play thousands and thousands of songs, not even kidding some of the greatest guitar songs are written with just three of these chords (i.e Highway to Hell, G, A, Dm). So yeah, learn these chords, here are some songs to help you learn these chords:

The Who - I Can't Explain
The Troggs - Wild Thing
The Beatles - Twist and Shout
The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin'
Green Day - Good Riddance *
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising *
The Kingsmen - Louie Louie
Oasis - Wonderwall *
Tom Petty - Free Fallin'

*Learning the strumming pattern for these may be a b*tch for beginners but once you know the pattern you'll have no problem.

Those are just some songs I could think of from the top of my head, I hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest