The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Can I still get into SOAS?

Hi guys! I need an honest opinion of yours. Here is my story.

I am from Nepal, and I completed my undergrad in 2013 in Business Information System with a meager 3.16 CGPA. However, by the middle of the programme, I had already realised that I wanted to pursue my academic career in something else: social sciences, specifically anthropology. After completing the programme, I took this one-year-long rigorous postgraduate diploma course on social sciences, of 30 credit hours, where I scored 3.82 CGPA, and won two academic awards as well (A, A, A, A-, and A, A, A-, A- in two semesters). Now, the reason I am considering SOAS is that the institute where I did the course is not recognised elsewhere, but because one of the international advisory board members of the institute is a SOAS professor of anthropology, it is one of the very few universities that recognise the institute (along with Princeton and Cornell in the US, among others).

Currently, I am working as a research assistant for the dean/professor of the institute (the research is anthropological in nature). Also, I will soon have a group research on some migration issue published in a local journal (by the middle of this year).

Provided, I was a bit unsure about my life and career, and also pretty apathetic and lethargic to even wonder where my life was heading to, while I was doing my undergraduate degree (I also lacked proper aspirations back then, I now think), I soon realised that and created my own aspirations that made me change my ways to think more seriously about my career. However, I am afraid if it has been a bit too late.

So my question is: With all these undergraduate degree score, postgraduate diploma score, research experience (of a year and a half) and a (co-authored) publication (or two) considered, do you think if SOAS will be willing to consider me to enroll in its Social Anthropology program (I am thinking for a 2016 class)?

Thanks a lot in advance! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,

Have you tried emailing admissions about that? Tbh I think they are the only ones who could answer that question for you in the best way.

I hope it all works out for you :smile:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending