The Student Room Group

Student Credit Cards?

Hey Guys, am just making an updated thread to the old 'student credit cards'.

So what credit cards has everyone got and whats your credit limit? Any perks?

I've got a Barclaycard Freedom Rewards card and a Capital One card.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
HSBC- £500.

56 days interest free period. No other perks.
Reply 2
Barclaycard have been a better credit card company than Capital One :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I was confused by Barclaycard's initial check, the only options were unemployed, part time or full time, as a student which do I put?

I'm starting my PGCE in September so will have a £20,000 grant but does this count as income? I only want the card to build up my credit rating but I really want one with at least 3 months 0% finance so I don't need to worry about money as much over summer as I need to buy a car before I start so I can get to my placement but have very little money before I start...
AMEX Gold - £80000 [this is where spending caps at technically theres no limit though] but reward points insurance etc.
BoA Emirates - £9300 skywards miles
Santander 123 - £1000 cashback
RBS world - £1400 reward points albeit theyre stopping soon
TSB platinum - £7500 0% BT
ANZ Platinum ANZ airpoint dollars - $30,000 airpoint dollars
Original post by jess1808
I was confused by Barclaycard's initial check, the only options were unemployed, part time or full time, as a student which do I put?

I'm starting my PGCE in September so will have a £20,000 grant but does this count as income? I only want the card to build up my credit rating but I really want one with at least 3 months 0% finance so I don't need to worry about money as much over summer as I need to buy a car before I start so I can get to my placement but have very little money before I start...

Surely you don't need to buy a car? My uni provided public transport routes for those that don't drive, or even hire cars for those that do, but don't own their own car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just have my TSB one I got when I had a student account. Got it for when I moved to America for emergencies. Ended up spending way to much on it! However now it's cleared since starting my new job! £750 limit.
Reply 7
Original post by lascelles
Surely you don't need to buy a car? My uni provided public transport routes for those that don't drive, or even hire cars for those that do, but don't own their own car

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitly no hire cars at my uni, they do give people without cars placements that are accessable via public transport but due to high numbers of students vs close schools that could mean about an hour and a half and 2/3 buses, plus a car would be so useful to avoid getting the (expensive) train home, large shopping trips and will most likley need it for a job the year after.
Definitly no hire cars at my uni, they do give people without cars placements that are accessable via public transport but due to high numbers of students vs close schools that could mean about an hour and a half and 2/3 buses, plus a car would be so useful to avoid getting the (expensive) train home, large shopping trips and will most likley need it for a job the year after.

I do understand, as I do have a car myself so I don't want to sound hypocritical. Although I went to uni as a mature student so had owned a car for a few years already. Just make sure there's somewhere to park at uni if that's your intention.

I thought it was more common for unis to hire cars for students :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got approved for a barclaycard. Don't know credit limit yet. It's six months interest free so I guess that's the perk. Don't really care though as it's only gonna be used for emergency or certain things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by donutaud15
Just got approved for a barclaycard. Don't know credit limit yet. It's six months interest free so I guess that's the perk. Don't really care though as it's only gonna be used for emergency or certain things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you put on the application re employment and income?

(Not asking your income just wondering if you included student loans or just a part time income)
What did you put on the application re employment and income?

(Not asking your income just wondering if you included student loans or just a part time income)

I put in homemaker and household income which is essentially husband's wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will probably look at getting one next year purely to improve the credit rating however I've not had one yet.
Reply 13
Original post by Soldieroffortune
AMEX Gold - £80000 [this is where spending caps at technically theres no limit though] but reward points insurance etc.
BoA Emirates - £9300 skywards miles
Santander 123 - £1000 cashback
RBS world - £1400 reward points albeit theyre stopping soon
TSB platinum - £7500 0% BT
ANZ Platinum ANZ airpoint dollars - $30,000 airpoint dollars

Amex Gold isn't a credit card is it? Its a charge card.

Are the others?
Original post by Quady
Amex Gold isn't a credit card is it? Its a charge card.

Are the others?

Indeed it is a charge card but going with the most litteral definition of a credit card it is still one as the money spent on it is credit you just have to pay it back each month in full, a blessing and a curse as if you have a modicum of self control its an excellet way to keep your spending in check but if you spend what you don't have then you're buggered.. that being said i've found amex to have the best customer service dept around :smile:

All the others are credit cards though albeit a mixture of Visa, Mastercard and Amex :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending