The Student Room Group

Working part time on a nursing degree

I've been accepted for nursing starting this September. I'm so excited that I'm already planning everything! I've realised that I will most likely have to work while on the course so support myself. What's your experience of this. I know I've heard some uni's discourage it but its not an option for me not to work.
some uni's are not that happy, but a lot realise that it's a necessity for some students. A lot of my friends are having to work (HCA type work so can arrange shifts to suit). It is doable you just need to be organised. Good luck and enjoy your course.
I'm second year now and I've worked since I started. I kept my job I've had since 16 and just work at the weekends. I've done both community and inpatient placements, and had no issues. I told the ward I had a part-time job at the weekends, so couldn't work weekend shifts, and they were fine with that, as you work with your mentor some shifts, but not all of them.

I wouldn't manage without my wages from my job:biggrin:
Original post by rachaelftw
I'm second year now and I've worked since I started. I kept my job I've had since 16 and just work at the weekends. I've done both community and inpatient placements, and had no issues. I told the ward I had a part-time job at the weekends, so couldn't work weekend shifts, and they were fine with that, as you work with your mentor some shifts, but not all of them.

I wouldn't manage without my wages from my job:biggrin:

you do have to work all shifts though in order to qualify, so at some point you will have to work a Saturday and a Sunday, but only once!
I joined nhsp before i started my degree and i've done shifts as and when i can otherwise i wouldn't be able to survive either! Whilst on placement i probably did about 2 as you just physically don't have the time, and placements don't tend to be too pleased when you say 'i have a job so can't work certain days'. My last placement said to another student that it's not their problem, nursing should be their main priority so they weren't having those days off, and imo it doesn't look too great professionally! So i'd definitely recommend a job that understands the degree you're doing and that you may be physically unable to work for a long period of time due to course commitments. It's doable, you just have to ensure the course does not suffer :smile: xx
Original post by lilibet01
you do have to work all shifts though in order to qualify, so at some point you will have to work a Saturday and a Sunday, but only once!

a lot of this will depend on your placements attitude towards weekend working and also the shift patterns of your mentor

most HEIs have a policy about what they expect from Students with regard to shfits worked .
My university just give us the total amount of hours we are to spend out on placement.
In order to meet our university requirements, we also have to complete 2 weeks worth of night shifts.
The rest of our hours are up to us to work whenever we can within the allocated placement terms.

I think like zippy said, it's all up to the university and what their policies and procedures are.
Some may say you have to work so many weekend hours, so many night shift hours and so many day time hours.

If your work are understanding of your situation though, hopefully it won't be an issue.
Or if you do something like getting on the NHS Bank, then you can work as and when.
Reply 7
NHS bursaries don't like it if you work more than 20 hours in a week (not including holiday time). Student nurses are advised to keep their money work to evenings and weekends. I have heard tales of bursaries being capped or suspended when recipients have worked during time they should have been studying or on placement.

I have to work - bursaries and loans don't really cover everything.

Quick Reply

Latest