The Student Room Group

To all computer nerds, looking for a good PC

Greetings.
I have a budget of about £300 and I'm looking for a good PC for use on MS Office, Internet browsing, multitasking, and good memory. Something which is fast and will last me a very long time. :smile: Generally for work. I may also game slightly on it with games such as Counter Strike.
Preferably Windows 7 I dont mind 8. 10 coming though.
Here are the specs of my current PC. Please ask for more if you need them.
-Windows 7 Professional.
-Intel (R) Celeron(R) CPU E3300 @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHZ
- RAM 1.00 GB
-32 bit OS
-Windows 7 (C: ) -87.2 / 234 GB
-Data(D: ) - 223/223 GB
It is very laggy
Yes I wrote like a noob probably because I am one xD
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryBarney
Greetings. I have a budget of about £300 and I'm looking for a good PC for use on MS Office, Internet browsing, multitasking, and good memory. Something which is fast to use and will last me a very long time. :smile: Generally for work. I may also game slightly on it with games such as counter strike.

Do you already have a keyboard/mouse/monitor?
Additional to the above, OS, namely, what does your current computer use? That could cut A LOT out of your hardware budget.
£300 is nothing. Increase your budget to at least £709
Original post by bittr n swt
£300 is nothing. Increase your budget to at least £709

Damn man.... I was planning on buying a PC with £708... looks like I'm too short :/
Original post by fajitamunch
Do you already have a keyboard/mouse/monitor?

Yes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Additional to the above, OS, namely, what does your current computer use? That could cut A LOT out of your hardware budget.

Windows is preffered. 7 is good I don't mind 8 and 10 coming so yeah.
My current has 2gb ram about 200gb space and I don't really know the other details but I can post them tommorow but I've had it for ages and lags even with office work and has many problems
Posted from TSR Mobile
Windows is preffered. 7 is good I don't mind 8 and 10 coming so yeah.
My current has 2gb ram about 200gb space and I don't really know the other details but I can post them tommorow but I've had it for ages and lags even with office work and has many problems
Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean what OS do you currently have? If it's up to date enough (which I would assume not) then you can save a lot of money there in that getting the Os from M$ will be getting on for £100 IIRC, although I think it may be on offer for £50, obviously you could pirate it, and there are places to get it cheap.
I mean what OS do you currently have? If it's up to date enough (which I would assume not) then you can save a lot of money there in that getting the Os from M$ will be getting on for £100 IIRC, although I think it may be on offer for £50, obviously you could pirate it, and there are places to get it cheap.

Windows 7 professional atm. So I could transfer it over or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Windows 7 professional atm. So I could transfer it over or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, that's not too bad, yes you could, either keep your current HDD as your boot drive, getting another for storage if you need the space or get a small SSD (although your budget is a bit low for it) and clone it. Although, you'd have to call M$ because windows will flip out if you change your motherboard and say it's invalid (main reason I upgraded to 8, couldn't be bothered with it:biggrin: ), but it will save you a fair bit.
Okay, that's not too bad, yes you could, either keep your current HDD as your boot drive, getting another for storage if you need the space or get a small SSD (although your budget is a bit low for it) and clone it. Although, you'd have to call M$ because windows will flip out if you change your motherboard and say it's invalid (main reason I upgraded to 8, couldn't be bothered with it:biggrin: ), but it will save you a fair bit.

Oh right. So do you think I could get a decent PC fast and efficient with 300? And won't it come with windows already? I don't remember paying for it when buying my current pc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right. So do you think I could get a decent PC fast and efficient with 300? And won't it come with windows already? I don't remember paying for it when buying my current pc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Build it yourself, you'll save yourself some money and it really isn't hard, that is assuming you're going for a desktop.
As for fast and efficient, depends what you're doing, for your purposes, probably.
CS:s-smilie: or CS:GO?
Build it yourself, you'll save yourself some money and it really isn't hard, that is assuming you're going for a desktop.
As for fast and efficient, depends what you're doing, for your purposes, probably.
CS:s-smilie: or CS:GO?

I was thinking about that. I am a first time builder in that case so it's gonna be weird. In terms of CS psh the one with the terrorists. XD I don't really know but aren't they both the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was thinking about that. I am a first time builder in that case so it's gonna be weird. In terms of CS psh the one with the terrorists. XD I don't really know but aren't they both the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They both have terrorists :tongue:
CS:GO is newer and more demanding (although still not very not very). Ironically, it costs more than CS:s-smilie:
Building is really easy, most things will only go where they're supposed to and the way they're supposed to
They both have terrorists :tongue:
CS:GO is newer and more demanding (although still not very not very). Ironically, it costs more than CS:s-smilie:
Building is really easy, most things will only go where they're supposed to and the way they're supposed to

LMfao. Excuse my lack of knowledge. Know any good sites where I can find builds or a site which can help me with a build?

Posted from TSR Mobile
LMfao. Excuse my lack of knowledge. Know any good sites where I can find builds or a site which can help me with a build?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure where it comes in price wise, might want to make some changes to it, but the video is more for the "how to do it" side of things, keeps it nice and short, would rather watch 15 minutes ratehr than the 40+ minute ones (especially since they have stuff that is somewhat unnecessary to you)
[video="youtube;vbDiSMQ_L_k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbDiSMQ_L_k[/video]
You probably want that CPU, otherwise you might be able to make some changes
As for the GPU, I would say go for method 2 shown, although you shouldn't need much graphics horsepower
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fajitamunch
Damn man.... I was planning on buying a PC with £708... looks like I'm too short :/

Was waiting before a tool would say this. Congrats
Reply 17
I suggest OP first finds out what is in his computer before he trots off and spends £300 on building his own.
Post your full current PC here, assuming it's not to proprietary then we might be able to salvage some of it.
I think you're low balling by going for a £300 budget unless you're willing to build it yourself. I would raise your budget to £400-£500 otherwise you're better off with a tablet in all honesty, low end desktops are basically useless in most cases.

So you would need a boot drive(HDD), OS, Motherboard, GPU, CPU(which comes with a stock heat sink which will do the job), RAM, Case and Power supply. This is where I come in. I'm going to suggest you an up to £500 build in the parts list below from Overclockers UK(my trusted vendor) though you can shop around for deals from other places.

OS- Windows 8.1(£78)
HDD- 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM HDD- £42
CPU- AMD FX8350- £126
GPU- MSI AMD R9 270 with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM- £130
Motherboard- Asrock Extreme 3 AMD 990FX Socket AM3+- £80
RAM-Kingston HyperX Salvage Red 8GB RAM- £47
Case- NZXT Source 340- £60
Power Supply- SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80+ Gold- £52

Total Cost if you skip out Windows= £477
OK so you want to look at your emails and the internet, so the first thing you need to do is ignore anyone who says to spend 130 on a graphics card. Also a pretty decent chance that the PSU and case you already have are both fine so that's some money saved, but maybe buy a decent PSU if you're not sure. Basically upgrading is a lot cheaper than building new, so try to give us a better idea of what you have. If you are already using DDR3 RAM then don't get a new motherboard, just buy an extra 8GB of it, make sure your CPU is OK and make sure you have a 64bit OS. That costs like £220 if you can't pirate Windows (which isn't hard).

Assuming you want to play CS:GO or CS:s-smilie: and not 1.6, you still don't need a great graphics card unless you are a quality junkie. It is a DX9 game that will run on any OK DX9 GPU, so nVidia GeForce 7900+ should be plenty and can be bought for £50. Radeon X800 series will also probably make it look decent. They are GPUs from 06 because it is an engine from 04, and Valve usually make their games pretty playable on low specs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending