The Student Room Group

When can I apply for 2016 entry with UCAS?

There only seems to be an option for 2015 entry still but I wanna start my application for 2016 ...so I assume there's a date at which applications will 'open' for that? :redface: Can anyone help me? :puppyeyes:
Reply 1
End of August / start of September i belive

It's a few months away
Original post by ryanb97
End of August / start of September i belive

It's a few months away

Oh noooooo:sigh: I wanted to get it started in case I got cold feet about applying again :sad:
You could have applied to deffered entry...

But too late now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian
There only seems to be an option for 2015 entry still but I wanna start my application for 2016 ...so I assume there's a date at which applications will 'open' for that? :redface: Can anyone help me? :puppyeyes:

It opens in the second week of September. There will be the opportunity to register and start filling in the form earlier than that (by July at least) but the system will be gearing up for the frenzy of results and clearing and won't go live until September.
Things you can start doing now are going to look at units and deciding on courses. And then when you know what course you want to do, start writing your personal statement.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It opens in the second week of September. There will be the opportunity to register and start filling in the form earlier than that (by July at least) but the system will be gearing up for the frenzy of results and clearing and won't go live until September.

Oh okay, thanks. Yeah I just wanted to start filling the forms in and stuff, not actually send it off yet :lol:
Oh okay, thanks. Yeah I just wanted to start filling the forms in and stuff, not actually send it off yet :lol:

The only thing that takes any length of time is the personal statement and actually choosing where you want to apply. Also, and I guess not all schools and colleges do this, but we had actual timetabled sessions during citizenship to fill out our UCAS forms. If you're applying through your school or college then you'll need to have their code to apply anyway.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
The only thing that takes any length of time is the personal statement and actually choosing where you want to apply. Also, and I guess not all schools and colleges do this, but we had actual timetabled sessions during citizenship to fill out our UCAS forms. If you're applying through your school or college then you'll need to have their code to apply anyway.

I left school two years ago so I don't know whether I'll be able to apply through them or not :s-smilie: :frown:
I suppose I could start writing my statement when I get the chance :moon: SIGH.

I left school two years ago so I don't know whether I'll be able to apply through them or not :s-smilie: :frown:

I suggest you find this out sooner rather than later. You will need an academic reference and at your age, they will expect it to come from your school, since you haven't been in education since then. You will need to find out whether they will be happy to provide one and whether you will need to apply as an independent candidate. Don't leave it until the last minute. They will usually have a reference on file, but it will need updating and you will need to ask for it.
I asked my old school for a reference when I was applying independently and they offered to let me apply through them, this was a good 4 years after I'd left. There's no guarantee your school would do the same but it's worth asking as it will make the whole process simpler.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I suggest you find this out sooner rather than later. You will need an academic reference and at your age, they will expect it to come from your school, since you haven't been in education since then. You will need to find out whether they will be happy to provide one and whether you will need to apply as an independent candidate. Don't leave it until the last minute. They will usually have a reference on file, but it will need updating and you will need to ask for it.

Okay :smile: I think they'll be happy to give the reference as I did contact my form tutor a year ago to ask if she'd still give me a reference when I apply to uni and she said yes.
I do need to find out if I'll need to be an independent candidate though... so I guess I should email the school :s-smilie:
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I asked my old school for a reference when I was applying independently and they offered to let me apply through them, this was a good 4 years after I'd left. There's no guarantee your school would do the same but it's worth asking as it will make the whole process simpler.

Aww that was nice of them :smile: I *think* my school will be happy to let me do that too, fingers crossed :crossedf:
Okay :smile: I think they'll be happy to give the reference as I did contact my form tutor a year ago to ask if she'd still give me a reference when I apply to uni and she said yes.
I do need to find out if I'll need to be an independent candidate though... so I guess I should email the school :s-smilie:

Or phone them. Or both, copying into the email all possibly interested parties so that there is a clear trail of when you made contact. Personnel often change over the summer, so you should copy in lots of people to make sure that if the one vital person leaves, there are others in the loop who know what is going on.
Ooh yes, I could phone them. Although, I'm a bit nervous and stammery on the phone. :blush:

Thanks for your help. I've just started writing my statement already :u:
Ooh yes, I could phone them. Although, I'm a bit nervous and stammery on the phone. :blush:

Thanks for your help. I've just started writing my statement already :u:

Many people are, self included.

Good idea to start early, then you can have lots of goes at getting it right. Use the ps advice forum, but don't post anything in public anywhere!

Two years is nothing. We'd give a reference five years later if it was needed.
Original post by Mr M
Two years is nothing. We'd give a reference five years later if it was needed.

Oooo hi Mr M :blush::blush: Good to know :cool:
You could go into college/sixth form and ask for the reference there? My old form tutor was really helpful and offered me to apply through them but I had already filled in the form as an independent candidate so I just had to attach the reference and send it off! It saved a lot of time haha.

Also it's easier than phone or email as you can get it sorted in a matter of hours and plus they are usually interested in catching up with you aswell :smile:
Reply 19

Last June, once my AS exams were finished, my school brought my year in for a day and we filled in all our personal details for UCAS. The reason why there's not an "Apply for 2016 entry" button now is because some people are still applying now for 2015 entry as a late applicant. By the end of June, UCAS will be ready for 2016 applying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending